Importing exporting for small business

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
Looking for some info for a legally registered small business. Getting killed on the taxes on imports greater than $200. Application of the taxed items is very inconsistent as well.

Does anyone know if businesses can ask for exemptions for materials and products imported?

Thanks

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The only thing you can accomplish is being able to get back itbis. But you need to have payable itbis to be able to deduct paid itbis (meaning you need to have invoiced to your customers, charging them itbis to be able deduct the itbis you paid.)

Avid besides, you really don't want to get registered in the tax system as a company for this.

Bad idea.

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
I need to check the forums more often...

thanks for the answer guys.

the missus has a small store. She imports products from the states and canada. Previously the quantities were low enough that individual orders from manufacturers did not exceed $200. Now sales are going up, and If we want to make larger orders, we would be severely penalized. So I have thought of the following two points/assumptions:

1) The $200 tax free limit is imposed on all imports, i.e. for individuals for personal use as much as for business. Presumably, this number is low to encourage dominicans to buy locally? So I assume, there must be some tax incentive for businesses that need to order raw materials from overseas .

2) I cannot fathom that businesses in this country that rely on bulk orders are paying 18% ITBIS compounded on 20% tax import fees. It would just boggle my mind. Surely the retail stores that rely on wholesale US products, like musical instruments, cosmetic products, clothing, etc. don't pay +38% on their wholesale costs, because the markup of items here compared to the states is nowhere near close to 40%.

So I assume (maybe wrongly) that there could exist some sort of government incentive program that gives tax breaks to businesses ordering overseas or so on.

How else would someone become a wholesale distributor here?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
According to the laws in the DR, I have no idea how anyone can avoid paying ITIBIS and customs duty (the percentage depends upon the products) on imported items over $200 US in value that are not part of a free trade agreement.