News clipping from my local newspaper 1822 regarding haiti.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I thought this might be of interest. I bumped into this while doing some personal research regarding family history.

Not sure if the link will do anything, so I'll type it out.

Corrector Sag harbor NY Aug 3 1822

http://apa3.olivesoftware.com/Defau...t.asp?Skin=Suffolk&AppName=2&AW=1391798171073

From Cape Haytien.

A letter from cape Haytien, dated June 28, states, that President Boyer, in order to facilitate the rebuilding of St. Marks, had ordered that lumber shall be admitted into that port for one year from the 1st of June, free of duty.

The utmost tranquility prevailed throughout the republic of Hayti, the discontents in the Spanish parts having been quelled.

It was reported at Cape Haytien that a negociation between the United States and the Haytien governnment, favourable to our trade, was on foot.--It is certain (adds the letter) that the Haytien government is very desirous of a commercial treaty with the United States, whose interest is to secure so valuable a branch of our west India trade.--Salem Reg.

-------------

I especially like the part "discontents on the spanish side having been quelled"

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I especially like the part "discontents on the spanish side having been quelled"
Speak for yourself!

Boyer killed many Dominicans (read Spanish and contrary to popular belief, anyone that wasn't a slave was considered to be Spanish, at the height of DR's slavery during colonial times, roughly 80% of the population was Spanish) that simply wanted an end to his tyranny.

The Haitians destroyed everything that was of importance to Dominican traditions and this is evidenced in the various documents from that era, including the letters written by French minister Levasseur, who from Port-au-Prince mentioned in more than one letter how Boyer's tyranny had destroyed everything the Spanish (Dominicans) held in high esteem. Add to this the anti-Mulatto and anti-White sentiment that abounded in the Haitian military, and that most of the Dominican population at that time consisted precisely by a mulatto majority and the whites were the largest minority, its clear things were going to be a little rough. Haitian leaders in the Spanish side, such as the leader of La Vega whose name I don't remember right now, that were actually loved by the Dominican people because of their good governance were few and far between, the Haitians simply mistreated the Dominican populace.

Add to this the fact that Boyer didn't even gave the Haitian military stationed all over the DR with their necessary provisions, which meant that they had to get them whichever way they saw fit. Most often than not the Haitian military resorted to harassing the Dominican population in order to have them supply the military men with the provision, and quite often the Haitian military simply took what they wanted, especially from the rural country Dominican people, who couldn't do anything to stop the Haitian military men from going into their conucos and taking what they pleased, unless the owner of the conuco didn't mind being beaten with a bayonet or even forcing his daughters to pay the price in dishonorable ways and the only thing the Dominican population could do is murmur their complaints among themselves and swallow their anger at such injustices.

Even Haitian mulattoes were planning to migrate en masse towards the DR because of the constant anti-Mulatto antagonism they faced from black Haitians. This was mentioned in one of Levasseur's letters too at the time Haiti was about to be split into three sections; the north and south of Haiti were at odds because the north was mostly black and the south had more of a Mulatto presence, and the two didn't quite see each other eye-to-eye. The eastern part, well I'll paraphrase Levasseur's words: "their customs, memory, traditions, desires are still Spanish."

Boyer was a good for nothing, imposing the Code Rural which was nothing more than re-instating slavery. No wonder his dictatorship ended with him being expelled to Jamaica and due to that event, on the following year the Dominicans managed to get rid of the Haitian yolk.

We declared our independence on the 27th of February, 1844; and didn't officially declared war on Haiti until two months later. Until that time, all Haitian officials in the Dominican Republic were arrested and treated with the most humane treatments, and it wasn't until the correspondences that the new Dominican government sent to Haiti that were never answered, insulting Dominican efforts to diplomatically befriend our closest neighbor on the terms of one independent nation to another. The Haitian military finally penetrated Dominican territory in March of 1844 and when news arrived in Santo Domingo not just that the Haitians had penetrated Dominican territory, but also that the Haitian military was mistreating all the Dominican civilian population it found along the way, including the women and the children, and imprisoning many Dominican civilians, priests and other public men with physical mistreatments and not even feeding them enough food for proper survival; that's when the declaration of war against Haiti "by land and sea" was finally declared. In the declaration of war it even says that all the fault of all the loses in lives and things is due to the Haitians, because by the inhumane way the Haitians were treating even the Dominican civilian population at a time all Haitian public men on Dominican soil were treated with respect despite they were prisoners, is what initiated the hostilities.

Had the Haitians not been so ardent on trying to govern the Dominican population against our will and by any means necessary, even through violence; the Dominican independence of 1844 would had been as peaceful as the one we did against Spain in 1821, which was an independence reached by simply signing a few official papers. That's why the independence of 1821 we often say was reached "de un plumazo", plumazo deriving from pluma which is one of the Spanish words for pen.

So, you may take some joy in the part that says "discontents on the Spanish side having been quelled," but you speak for yourself and those that think like you. There are those of us who definitely are not amused in the slightest by the sight of despicable words in one sentence.

Last edited:

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
thanks Nals for a thoughtful reply. I chose to highlight the phrase discontents because even though it is a contemporaneous account it doesn't follow modern journalistics standards, such as they are. It's a linguistic flourish that added to the story and reveals the bias of the author. I read the thesis paper NakedSnake posted. it took a while to read, but i learned a lot. another thread contains first hand account of the riots in Port au Prince.

I take no joy in human suffering, even that which occurred 180 years ago.