I'm British, she's Dominican, want to visit the US

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Just wondering on the feasibility of this.

I am a Brit with a valid US visa. I will be going to the US in Apr for a two week training course at JFK airport. My Dominican missus has asked if she can come with me. So we will be travelling together. We will leave our kids with the Grandparents in the DR and I or my employer will be paying for flights and hotel.

She has several UK visas in her passport. What would be the possibility of a successful outcome? What would be the best way to approach this?

Oh and by the way, we are not legally married. Been together seven years and have kids together, but no legal marriage.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
You are already behind the 8 ball to start the process if you are talking about April 2014.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
You are already behind the 8 ball to start the process if you are talking about April 2014.

I kind of thought that, but I only found out about the course a couple of days ago. What's a realistic time scale if it was approved?

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Not married? She must give up that idea..and focus her energy on making you happy when you get back.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
feasibility- none. Been there tried it. Its an expensive heart breaking waste of time.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
feasibility- none. Been there tried it. Its an expensive heart breaking waste of time.

really? turned down with a UK visa? I always heard that once you have a foreign visa.. to the EU // that gave you a better chance.. Anyway I would think it would be worth a try.. but.. well.. probably not for April. If you do not regularly travel to the States, then it would not be worth the time and money.

Feb 7, 2007
Yeah... UK visa should stand for much!

Back a long time ago when I was living back home, when we needed visa for UK because of all gipsies who emigrated there, I was denied a UK visa for a quick business trip. Maybe because I wanted to travel in 48 hours. And that was with a USA 10-year visa, and Canadian multiple entry visa in the passport. Maybe they were asking what kind of business an 18 y/o wanted to do in UK. The whole "incident" gave me a laugh.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think you should start now. my SIL wants to fly to PR for semana santa and she did not start a procedure for a visa for her baby yet. it seems that it is possible within the time frame but whether the visa will be granted is another story altogether.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Slow down, naysayers.

A friend got his visa today, and he only applied last month.

If you get all documents in order this week, you can go online and ask for an interview next week. With the UK Visa and history of travelling to Europe and returning, she has a better chance. If you show that the two of you have a relationship (both names are on the kids' birth certificates, for example) and take information about the course you will be taking, she might get approved for a short-term visa.

It's short notice, but as my friend discovered, not impossible.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While the odds are quite low, and I mean very low, it is possible. And for a visitors visa as others have mentioned there might be enough time.