Haiti's Minority at play

Aug 6, 2006
It is encouraging to learn that the rich of Port-Au-Prince can be just as vapid as the rich of Paris, Milano or Lyon.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
What a travesty. Someone should FEED those poor Girls. Is there any more earthquake relief money left?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Kinda smacks of racism of racism to me. In light of their history, I would think that they would be the last people of that bent

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Kinda smacks of racism of racism to me. In light of their history, I would think that they would be the last people of that bent
The older the sickness, the more protracted the cure.

When corrupt Haitian officials realize that their run is over they run straight to Paris, the "Promised Land", to catch up with all the loot that they've stashed.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011

Don't read too much into it.

This was a local fashion show with light mulattos, by light mulattos and for a light mulatto audience.

Similar to the ebony fashion fair for black americans in white majority america.

Minorities tend to do things like that.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Don't read too much into it.

This was a local fashion show with light mulattos, by light mulattos and for a light mulatto audience.

Similar to the ebony fashion fair for black americans in white majority america.

Minorities tend to do things like that.

What?!?

Nowhere NEAR similar to the Ebony fashion fair in the USA. Somebody told you something that is the opposite of the truth.

[video=youtube;tf-fkihgVjo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf-fkihgVjo[/video]

Unlike Haiti, the "affluent Blacks" are not separated from poor Blacks by skin tone in the USA. If it wasn't for the accents the Ebony Fashion Fair might be mistaken for a show being held in Nairobi.

No. Haiti's "skin tone dilemma" is not shared by Black America. Hell, we've got too many different skin tones in most of our Families to even think like that.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
What?!?

Nowhere NEAR similar to the Ebony fashion fair in the USA. Somebody told you something that is the opposite of the truth.

Unlike Haiti, the "affluent Blacks" are not separated from poor Blacks by skin tone in the USA. If it wasn't for the accents the Ebony Fashion Fair might be mistaken for a show being held in Nairobi.

No. Haiti's "skin tone dilemma" is not shared by Black America. Hell, we've got too many different skin tones in most of our Families to even think like that.

As a foreigner, you are imposing another country's racial situation on a totally different society.

In the US, the white majority created a racist one drop rule where anyone "tainted" by negro blood is black. So that is the black minority in the US. Black Americans had no choice in the matter.

In Haiti what we call the mulatto minority are the light mulattos and the arabs.

Two different societies with two different minorities.

If the "black" minority in the US can have its own fashion shows...there is no reason why the "mulatto" minority in Haiti cannot have its own.

Haiti's black majority has no problem with it.

You need to take off your US tainted glasses if you want to understand other cultures.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011

Who said Haiti shared anything with black america?

Black america has its own colorism issue. Take a look at black videos and the preference for light skin and the mulatto look is there for all to see.

That rejection of true blackness is what is shared by negros from the US, thru the caribbean all the way to Brazil...and now spreading into negro africa.

Only someone from another planet would mistake people from negro africa with black-americans. People in kenya have a different look...so your nairobi claim will not work.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Here is a regular Haitian fashion show with real models....and a few men.

[video=youtube_share;DZJisyWH0qg]http://youtu.be/DZJisyWH0qg[/video]

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
As a foreigner, you are imposing another country's racial situation on a totally different society.

In the US, the white majority created a racist one drop rule where anyone "tainted" by negro blood is black. So that is the black minority in the US. Black Americans had no choice in the matter.

In Haiti what we call the mulatto minority are the light mulattos and the arabs.

Two different societies with two different minorities.

If the "black" minority in the US can have its own fashion shows...there is no reason why the "mulatto" minority in Haiti cannot have its own.

Haiti's black majority has no problem with it.

You need to take off your US tainted glasses if you want to understand other cultures.
I didn't "impose" anything. The issue at hand was the designation of AFFLUENCE by skin tone. In Haiti Light is GOOD, Powerful, Rich and Dark is BAD, Poor and Powerless.

YOU were the one who brought the USA into the conversation and specifically mentioned the Ebony Fashion Fair (which, BTW ceased to exist in 2009) citing it as some sort of relevant phenomenon and thus attempting to pursue some correlation between U.S. fashion and this "affluent Haiti" foolishness.

In the USA, "Fashion" and "affluence" are shared by the entire population and are represented by Black, White, Red Brown and Yellow People from every identifiable national origin, past or present.

You appear to be the one with the tainted glasses if you think for a second that you can find an equivalent to Haiti's special brand of "Brown racism" in the USA. I really don't understand why you would try to interject anything American into this totally unrelated thread in the 1st place.

Maybe it's you who should get out more often and learn a thing or two about "other cultures". I've gone to work in 6 continents and been married to Women from 3 of them.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
"been married to Women from 3 of them.[/QUOTE]"

Wow !! Talk about spreading the wealth