need help with visa

BellBoy

Mar 4, 2005
I need help or advise please I am going to try to get my Dominican gf of 10 years entry to Canada I am 30 miles north of Toronto and suspect my best route is to hire lawyer in Canada Do any of you good people have a recommendation for a lawyer and is this the best way to proceed I guess one of my biggest questions is do I hire a lawyer in Canada or the Dominican Republic. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Signed lovesick in Aurora

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If you are going to take her there permanently you have to marry her first in her home country and then apply for permanent residency. The fianc? visa was stopped years ago. You can do all the paperwork yourself. No need to throw your money away on a lawyer. If it is just for a visitor visa, again apply and hope for the best. It is mostly just a crap shoot. The odds are always against you with this option. Also keep in mind the odds of her staying with you in Canada are slim to none. I know of many who didn't last including myself and only one that is still together.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Guzman office has an international network.... or just google Canadian Immigration Lawyers.

There are many 'quasi lawyer' services that can do this for less than a full priced lawyer.
Or, try it yourself.... I find that the legal route is usually quicker - they're connected.-

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I would suggest she go to the Visa Application Center in Santo Domingo. For a fee, they'll assist her and recommend the best course of action based on your situation. They'll tell her what paperwork she needs and will help her fill out the forms. That doesn't necessarily mean she'll get accepted but it'll increase her chances if everything if filled out correctly and she provides them with all the info proving your relationship. I know a few people who have used their services and came out very satisfied.

Visas and Immigration

BellBoy

Mar 4, 2005
Thank you everyone for the help. I was hoping to try a visitors visa first, simply as rogerjac stated the relationships don't last. I would like her to visit first to see if she even likes jt here. Maybe rogerjac, you could explain briefly what the cause of the relationship breakdowns were ( the country, Canadian lifestyle, weather, scam) Any help would be appreciated. I am most likely going to go the route of someone preparing the paper work for me as I am working full time and with my luck I will forget to dot an I or something
Thanks again all
Ps the Guzman firm. I can't seem to find any firm associated with them in the Toronto area

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
She has to go to the Canadian Embassy in SD. They give her a form. She has to get medical and police checks. Then they check to see if she has any assets .If her family are the Brugal types and she studied univ. in the US or Europe them ok.
If she has no assets in the Dominican the chances aren't very good.
Unlikely that she will get a visa without you marrying her here in the Dominican. Of course if you are 65 years old and she is 20 years old ,the gov't of Canada will look favourably on your application as they will know for sure that you really love her : )

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Guzman office has an international network.... or just google Canadian Immigration Lawyers.

There are many 'quasi lawyer' services that can do this for less than a full priced lawyer.
Or, try it yourself.... I find that the legal route is usually quicker - they're connected.-

If you choose the Guzman route, you would contact them in RD - they, in turn, would direct it to the proper Cdn handler.

Of interest to some may be that Fabio Guzman was educated in Canada for his high school -- coincidentally, in Aurora.

You may find a friend on this end -- I did.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Visa applications are straight forward and getting someone else (ie. lawyer) to assist just adds a needless layer of complexity and cost to the process. Guzman only handles D.R. immigration issues but I am sure they can recommend a Canadian firm if you insist on going that route.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would differ there----- a lawyer removes all the complexity for me.......does it cost, yup.

Like eating at home or at a restaurant is how I view it...... less muss/fuss but more $$
BTW, I prefer home eating and wine

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
He wants to bring her on a visitors visa. She has to fill out the application in DR. Before hand he should send her a handwritten letter stating why where and how she will be able to visit. Does he need a lawyer to read an application and write his letter? Total waste of money. IMHO

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You may be right..... she reads/writes , huh?
Diploma? How many of these has she tried before?

I was assuming she needed help.... might be wrong
Her mother may be a lawyer

she may need a bit of help... from someone

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
You may be right..... she reads/writes , huh?
Diploma? How many of these has she tried before?

I was assuming she needed help.... might be wrong
Her mother may be a lawyer

She could take her "primo" he will be happy to help her get to the promised land. If her mother is a lawyer then or Canadian dude doesn't need to find her one.
she may need a bit of help... from someone

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think they will figure it out with no help from either of us.....

We all know little here when the original question is posed .......but offer so much .....
inevitably, there is a rat hidden in the woodpile somewhere and all our good intentions go up the chimney

smythi

Jan 18, 2014
A visitor visa to Canada is for a maximum of 6 months. It can be extended while in Canada but not sure for how long. The new Visa office in santo domingo will do all that is required and they speak spanish. I believe the new photo and fingerprint equipment is installed so biometrics are required.

Just for a visit no medical was required at least back in december 2013.

The sponser needs to provide proof of finacial support of almost $3000 cdn per month but I believe a little less if you own your own home in canada. The worst part is proving she will be returning to her home in the DR. My wife owns her own house and businesses here because I put them in her name. She also has credit cards, bank acccounts etc. They gave us a hard time over a more than 15 year old ednorte bill that started out as 1400 pesoes and grew to more than 15000 pesos. I had my canadian lawyer talk to the goverment of canada and no more problem.

The government of canada has a very helpful web site and I have used it a lot. Try the are you eligibale to come to canada wizard.

They ask a lot of information such as who your family is, mother father siblings half siblings so it is quite time consuming.

They only accept the buen conducto from the one office in santo domingo so don?t go to the wrong one...everybody on the street will direct you to the wrong one....from my experience.

My dominican wife takes care of everything for TFW to go to canada for work and some to live there. It is complicated with many little pit falls so hiring someone is probaly a very good idea.

I now live here in the DR and only visit canada for business once in a while so my wife is not presently seeking her canadian citizenship. The visa to visit is now valid for the same amount of time as her passport so no need to apply each year for a new visa...yah!

Good luck and don?t listen to all the negative comments....dominican women can be just as fine as any in the whole world! IMHO.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I would differ there----- a lawyer removes all the complexity for me.......does it cost, yup.

Like eating at home or at a restaurant is how I view it...... less muss/fuss but more $$
BTW, I prefer home eating and wine

I would have agreed with you up until the lawyer I engaged totally screwed up my step-daughters visa app. and added a year to the process. If I had it to do over, I'd do it myself.

BellBoy

Mar 4, 2005
Wow, thanks for all the replies. When I applied about 8 years ago you paid $ 60 US at the Canadian embassy in SD and the decision was made in Port au Prince, Haiti. I did use the are you eligible wizard on the Canadian web site and found it helpful. She can read and write and I would equate it to a high school education. I am a college graduate and found the whole process daunting. I think it would be more logical to have it done in the DR, but obviously I would be of little assistance. I work hard and don't have alot of time to spend on detail ( my fault) I will digest all this helpful info and try to figure it out.
not: I am doing all this on my cell pbond as my computer crashed for good, so my apologies for punctuation, spelling, run one sentences etc. Thanks again everyone.

BellBoy

Mar 4, 2005
Oh I just might add I am 54 years old and she is 44. Hopefully they will still believe I love her even though she is not 22 LOL

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I wouldn't use a lawyer. I'd just go to the visa website, read the steps carefully......and whatever info is available, and follow those steps.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My partner is canadian, Im Dominican, I got a canadian visa first time for 6 months because they dont give visas with expiration date longer than the one in your passport, so after 6 months when my passport and visa expired, I got a new passport and applyed againg and I got 6 years visa, so my sugestion before her apply for the visa to check if is ok the next points.

1.- Is important that she has a permanent job.
2.- bank account, credit card. etc.
3.- If she traveled before to some other countries for vacation.
4.- How long have you been in relationship
5.- How many time in a year you visit her.
6.- Give them a lot prove that you are un real relationship.
7.- You must convince them that she will be back.
8.- Invitation letter telling them why you want she visit canada, try to make a very good one invitation letter and clear on everything you says.

In the process of the visa when you apply they dont make any interview so you just deposit all the papers and go back to pick up your passport after 7 days and there you know if you get or not the visa, so is very important that you or she provide as much information and papers possible to prove them that you are in a real relationship and she is not planning to stay living in Canada.

If she get the visa that doesnt mean she could enter to Canada, maybe when she arrive to Canada they will send her to inmigration department and there an inmigration agent will make random cuestions to make sure all the information that they have is real.

If you are applying for one enter visa the cost is 75.00 American Dollares, if is Multiple visa the cost is 175.00 American Dollars, the forms are in the webpage of the Canadian embassy and is easy to download and also give you all the information you need.

Is sad for me to say this as Dominican but is the truth, when is something with Dominicans the first thing will come to their minds is that once she arrive to Canada she wont go back to Dominican and she is trying to use you, so is important that you prove they are thinking wrong.

Good Luck!!!!!