Is there a nursing school in Santiago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
What me and my girl wants is a job in nursing when she comes to states. She is in school for Bio analyst. I do not think that helps. She said there is dentist assistant school but not a nursing school in Santiago. Can you someone verify this for me. I want her to be a lpn or to start as a cna . Here in the states it takes a year to get. I rather her to start studying now and when she comes it will be easier to obtain.

P.s. My last thread. Sorry I keep posting but I'm not founding these questions in the forum.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What me and my girl wants is a job in nursing when she comes to states. She is in school for Bio analyst. I do not think that helps. She said there is dentist assistant school but not a nursing school in Santiago. Can you someone verify this for me. I want her to be a lpn or to start as a cna . Here in the states it takes a year to get. I rather her to start studying now and when she comes it will be easier to obtain.

P.s. My last thread. Sorry I keep posting but I'm not founding these questions in the forum.

when she comes to the States? hmmm..

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Think your actions through

Be aware nurse education and training in the DR may not be recognized or transferable to the states. You can expect in whatever state she applies for a nursing job, the state will have a minimum nurse education requirement and may have a requisite for stateside training. It will most likely expect some stateside education credits in line with the regulatory guidelines for that state; to include licensing and board certification; and then consider you have to purchase your own liability insurance.

It is suggested you investigate the requirements for the state where you wish to work and reside.

Think your actions through.

Regards,

PJT

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012

Nursing credentials from the Dominican Republic will allow her to take blood pressure and change the paper on patient tables. The same thing as"techs" do.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Nursing credentials from the Dominican Republic will allow her to take blood pressure and change the paper on patient tables. The same thing as"techs" do.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
CNA is only 4 weeks of training at the Community College level, at most. It is probably a better use of your girl's time work on English skills rather than study for credentials that might have little value in the US.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Where do people come up with this stuff . No thought of how hard it is to get her into the usa how you will be responsable for her
For 10 years will she stay with you or look for anouther man . Nursing school 4 real ? Come on use your big head . Hourse before the carrige
May be ?????

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Where do people come up with this stuff . No thought of how hard it is to get her into the usa how you will be responsable for her
For 10 years will she stay with you or look for anouther man . Nursing school 4 real ? Come on use your big head . Hourse before the carrige
May be ?????

10 years? try 10 weeks.

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
CNA is only 4 weeks of training at the Community College level, at most. It is probably a better use of your girl's time work on English skills rather than study for credentials that might have little value in the US.

She's almost done with English schools and speaks pretty good english

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014

Like others say it is a start. Maybe she can see what she is getting into and maybe she can get a head start

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I believe that PUCMM and UTESA both have nursing schools, have to check though. But as said before, the nursing schools here will not prepare her to be a nurse in the States. She will fail the NCLEX, definitely.
But if she wants to try then more power to her, its not impossible but it will take a lOng time.

First, while waiting to get to the States she can go to nursing school here. Then she will need to graduate and become a Registered Nurse (this is the bachelor one), there are a few nurse programs here called "technica" I think that is not the equivalent of a bachelor's prepared nurse. She needs to have practiced for at least 2 years here to be even able to qualify or apply for the US.

She will need to pass the English proficiency test. And I've heard from foreign nurses that I work with that you even lose points on that test if you spell color as "colour" and little crap like that so she needs to be on point with her English.
She may need to take the Foreign nurses refresher course, and then she will have to take the NCLEX whic is the national exam for US nurses. Even though I passed when I took mine I cried after because I thought I had failed. The NCLEX is difficult as it feels out what you DON'T know and asks you more questions on that, once you answer certain questions right, it no longer asks you questions in that category. But maybe it as changed, I took it 14 years ago so who knows?

In my opinion, her biggest challenges will be the English and the NCLEX. I have found that in the Dominican Republic they teach nurses how to follow orders. They are not required as US nurses are, to think on their own. And many times they do not know WHY they are doing something. The NCLEX is big on pathology, the WHY you do something, etc. In the DR, ost nurses will not be in trouble if they followed a doctor's order and the patient died. In the US, the nurse is EXPECTED to know if the doctor's order is feasible, and if she carries out that order, being a nurse, and the patient died...she could lose her license or be sanctioned as well as the doctor. And unfortunately, the DR doesn't teach nursing that way. US nurses catch MD incorrect orders hundreds of times in their nursing careers, in the DR, they are taught what to do but not why and that will put her behind in the US.

But it can be done. My recommendation, if she wants to start working quickly is to become a CNA. There is a huge need for CNAs in the US and there are programs here in DR that prepare you for that career. My part-time housekeeper is taking one, I paid for it for her and she loved it and now she has gone further and is taking the program to become a pharmaceutical technician where she will be able to work in a pharmacy or be a pharmaceutical sales rep. CNAs in the US make decent money and the overtime is abundant, maybe try that.

SHALENA

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
Shalena, That's sounds like the best course of action. Can you name the school she went. That would be real helpful.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Shalena has the correct advice. My ex, a well trained Nurse from Colombia, didnt have enough english and the USA didnt recognize her Colombian nursing degree. She had to practice as a CNA for a number of years in the US first.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Some unsolicited advice....People tend to change as they adapt to a new environment..... That sweet, humble loving lady may become more like her western sisters over time..... If I were you, I would find a way to keep her in the DR where she can pursue her career and you can spend generous amounts of time......A green card promise can corrupt a honest relationship. If she loves you, the US should be a non-issue.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Some unsolicited advice....People tend to change as they adapt to a new environment..... That sweet, humble loving lady may become more like her western sisters over time..... If I were you, I would find a way to keep her in the DR where she can pursue her career and you can spend generous amounts of time......A green card promise can corrupt a honest relationship. If she loves you, the US should be a non-issue.

yes; in three months, she will be saying "HALF"!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

yes; in three months, she will be saying "HALF"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.