Employees

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
How are you going to register him with social security without a cedula?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Well it depends, if it's just a job for a couple of days, I wouldn't care but if it is something long term you better do it right these days.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This is the DR.
You can hire anyone, for anything!
My maid is a "Haitiana", I doubt she has any "Papers".
As for paying social security, are you JOKING????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You are talking maids or gardeners, you still get away without social security.

Aug 21, 2007
For now, make sure there is a valid passport and visa. In time, immigration will work out a better method for Haitians and work visas, but currently, just either a 2 month or one year visa will at least allow the individual to be in the country without risk. About 6 - 9 months ago, the government said they were going to travel to businesses to look at papers of Haitians and fine both the Haitian and the business owner for individuals who were illegal. That- as is typical here- never happened. So, for now, hire who you want, just make sure they have the passport and visa.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"In time the government will work out a better method for Haitians and work visas", sure they will. In time if the government gets its way they will all be deported.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
HAHA! still so green. There are members of interior police who work in the central offices Santo Domingo who do not have a contract and certainly do not pay social security. I do not know where people hear of such restricted options as far as employment goes. Employ whoever you want to, Haitian with no papers even batter, they have no power on termination issues.

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
There is so much confusion - do it, don't do it. I know of a person who had a guard who had no papers and was let go for abandoning his job, went to the labor office and my friend had to pay him liquidation. Another had an employee haitian who stole from him while he was out of the country and he fired him. He went to labor office and they went to court and this friend had to pay fines and liquidation. So - it's all good unless they go to the labor office then you're stuck like chuck.
Better off to do what's right - cedula or no job.
Thanks for all the opinions.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I am being sued by a hatian with no cedula and no hatian id. He worked 4 days a month for 18 months. I fired him for stealing and we went to the labor board and filed a claim for severance, vacation, etc. to the tune of 20,000 pesos plus the $200k pesos the lawyer added for his troubles.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
I am being sued by a hatian with no cedula and no hatian id. He worked 4 days a month for 18 months. I fired him for stealing and we went to the labor board and filed a claim for severance, vacation, etc. to the tune of 20,000 pesos plus the $200k pesos the lawyer added for his troubles.

Perfect solution to this problem is to bribe someone in immigration to deport him quick, fast in a hurry.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
You can certainly hire them without the proper documentation but be careful. If you do catch them doing anything wrong document it and have them sign it it. You can usually fire them on the 3 strike rule without liquidation if you have everything in order. Another option is just do the work yourself. It will get done right, done on time and probably last longer and you don't have to go through the aggravation of dealing with all the BS labor laws here

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010

Lawyer because you didn't want to pay liquidation ? I can understand that - even if they don't have proper documents they can take you to the labor office --- trying to help give work and they steal from you and then YOU have to pay. Just ain't right, but this is where we choose to live. This is why I asked the question. I am getting the idea that we need to hire only those with proper papers/cedula and do it right . Sad because I have to let a few go now because I have to protect ourselves thus means hiring only those with cedulas.

Lawyer because you didn't want to pay liquidation ? I can understand that - even if they don't have proper documents they can take you to the labor office --- trying to help give work and they steal from you and then YOU have to pay. Just ain't right, but this is where we choose to live. This is why I asked the question. I am getting the idea that we need to hire only those with proper papers/cedula and do it right . Sad because I have to let a few go now because I have to protect ourselves thus means hiring only those with cedulas.

I don't understand what the difference would be with hiring people without Cedulas? You have to pay them at the end no matter what, right?! So what are you protecting yourself from?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't understand what the difference would be with hiring people without Cedulas? You have to pay them at the end no matter what, right?! So what are you protecting yourself from?

You are supposed to hire legal residents, and 80% of your workforce is supposed to be Dominican, along with more rules. Most Haitians are illegal, thus you are breaking the law when you hire them.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010

The police wanted to question him and he disappeared and then came back. I should have gone to the labor within like 72 hours. But I figured he really wasnt an employee. Turns out he was....

Better to do it right. For sure.

You are supposed to hire legal residents, and 80% of your workforce is supposed to be Dominican, along with more rules. Most Haitians are illegal, thus you are breaking the law when you hire them.

Ok i do understand that but I guess my question would be what would happen to someone who hired illegal workers here? Like do people actually get in trouble? Have to pay fines etc?? Just curious.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
why bother?
easier to go the legal route.
my experience is that , in the long run, it takes more time/effort when you stray from the main thoroughfare.

KISS......... works most times....... especially in foreign lands

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
It should be pointed out that when you employ a Haitian residing illegally in the Dominican Republic you still need to comply with Dominican labor regulations regarding severance, liability in case of an accident in the workplace, etc. Dominican courts have always considered that the fact of being here illegally does not affect the Haitian worker's right to sue his employer in a Dominican court.