Microwave at a good price

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
My microwave is going out on me and I'm in the market for a new one. I checked PriceSmart and they have them around $9,000 which I think is ridiculous.

Anyone know if I should try ElectroLama, La Curacao, La Sirena, or somewhere else? I don't need a huge microwave or anything fancy, just something to get the job done.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I purchased that microwave at PriceSmart for 9000-..........
Worth every peso..........or/at $209 Dollars U.S.
1100 watts, extra large interior with a stainless steel exterior............
La Sirena (Polla) would be your best bet for smaller and less money.............

B in Santiago

Feb 7, 2007
I recently (6 mths ago) bought Whirlpool MW, I think it was 1 or 1.1 cubic feet, 1200 watts, for 5900 pesos. That was in Electrolama.

Look in Electrolama they always seem to have some specials. I also checked La Sirena, and Corripio. Sirena, fewer selection, comparable prices to Lama, Corripio about same selection as Lama but higher prices.

Aug 6, 2006
I have had five microwaves since they went on sale. The most dependable by far has been a Daewoo that has just two dials: no LED readout, no pushbuttons, just one dial for intensity (defrost low medium high) and another for time. The others I have owned have had all those buttons and readouts and stuff and that is what gave out. This one has a rotating carrousel
that spins around, so I do not have to turn the item and punch it again.

I bought this one eight years ago in BrandsMart in Miami for US $49.88. Recently, they have had one almost like it on sale for $38.88.

I agree that $9000 pesos is a ridiculous price. I have not shopped seriously for microwaves in the DR, but it seems to me that many companies do not sell anything but their most expensive products, and at outrageous prices. This seems particularly true of appliances.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You can also investigate buying in the US and shipping through Encargopaq by ocean to save on freight costs.

May 29, 2006
If you only need a microwave to heat up a cup of coffee or a can of soup, that's overkill. Last microwave I bought in the States it was just under $40.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Thanks for all the tips!

I went to a place near me called "El Hogar Dominicano" which had a decent selection of microwaves. They had a lot of "Avanti" which I see online have some decent reviews. I'd rather go with a more known brand though. They give a 6 month warranty on all of their products.

I think ElectroLama will be my next stop to see what they have to offer.