168/13 Op Ed today

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It seems that the legislation that will govern the issuance of cedulas for the "undocumented" is frozen in Congress, which appears to be the source of the international concern. El presidente deber?a recurrir a la Corte Interamericana

Nunez seems super sensitive about all things Domnican, going back to Father Hartley and the Price of Sugar and somehow bringing in the new Papal Nuncio and the US ambassodor's husband.

It is true that there have been a few letters from European legislators, and editorials from Bolivar, and that the head of the council for Refugees is on the side of the refugees. There may also be a political position inside that council to press for fewer refugees.

If one does a google search on the tag Haitians in the Dominican Republic, you will see that there is not much of a recent outcry against the Dominican Republic.

Even Centro Bono does not have this as a leading issue Centro Bon?

I think Nunez is just stirring a lot of ultra nationalist pots..

But there is not a great international outcry coming from a lot of groups that I have read about. There are not organized protests at Dominican Embassies. Both the United States and the United Nations have issued statements, I believe, acknowledging the sovereign right of the Dominican Republic to determine citizenship.

The issue is the time lag. There was first an announcement of an imminent process within something like 18 months. Then the start was delayed for the needed legislation, which a spokesperson said was to be ready in June. Then the State started issuing new biometric cedulas for the entire population, with long lines for everyone. So there is a concern that those who were to be granted special consideration are to be moved to the back of a very, very long line.

It is of course true that there are external human rights groups and internal Dominican groups who have been pressing for a change in the Constitution but I do not think that this could be termed "the international community".