Sharpening knives and scissors.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Is there place where they can sharpen knives and scissors. The humid air seems like to eating though our tailor scissors and my wife need knives sharpen. There used to be old guy who came here every month and sharpen our home knives and scissors but I heard he passed away last year.

Thanks,

Aug 6, 2006
You can buy a sharpener for a small price at Harbor Freight that works pretty well. These are made in China, surely they are available in the DR. Afilador de navajas is the most common name for these in Spanish, thought they may use something else as well. The old Cutco sharpeners were manual and required little muscle to put a better age on my knives and scissors. You need something different for straight razors and hollow ground blades, though.

May 29, 2006
Try stropping them on a regular piece of corrugated cardboard. You can also look for metal polish to spray onto cardboard.

Excellent video on sharpening/stropping. I have a green stick I use on my Chef knife with cardboard and it puts on a very sharp edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReUEjNJ5PSA&index=15&list=FLyppnxHr5PM1uZFGvVGCnlw

I've also used the bottom of certain ceramic plates as a stone. Here is the same method using a coffee cup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqXh2E3Auk

btw, testing a knife sharpness with paper is a poor way to check it's sharpness.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
You can buy a sharpener for a small price at Harbor Freight that works pretty well. These are made in China, surely they are available in the DR. Afilador de navajas is the most common name for these in Spanish, thought they may use something else as well. The old Cutco sharpeners were manual and required little muscle to put a better age on my knives and scissors. You need something different for straight razors and hollow ground blades, though.

Try stropping them on a regular piece of corrugated cardboard. You can also look for metal polish to spray onto cardboard.

Excellent video on sharpening/stropping. I have a green stick I use on my Chef knife with cardboard and it puts on a very sharp edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReUEjNJ5PSA&index=15&list=FLyppnxHr5PM1uZFGvVGCnlw

I've also used the bottom of certain ceramic plates as a stone. Here is the same method using a coffee cup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqXh2E3Auk

btw, testing a knife sharpness with paper is a poor way to check it's sharpness.
Thanks,

We brought one from Amazon and knives doesn't get sharpen anymore. :( I'll be in States in couple of week so I guess I'll just have to buy one local Bed & Beth and bring one in.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Check w/the neighborhood barber.

I had couple of my boys ask about the scissors because we do have quite many in our factory. But I always get same answers on everything.

NO.

And I hate people butchering my scissors and I am sick of buying those because it's so expensive to buy.

Aug 6, 2006
I think there are two types of sharpener. One has two ceramic rods and you sharpen your blade by stroking it in one direction.
The other type has a wheel that appears to be made of caborundum and you insert the blade and draw it back several times on each side.

The second type seems to work best for me. This is the Cutco sharpener

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
i bought a sharpening stone at ferreteria pappateria in sosua for like $30rd. i sharpen my own knives and machete. its just a matter of knowing the angle.
plenty of info on sharpening on youtube and google.

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
i bought a sharpening stone at ferreteria pappateria in sosua for like $30rd. i sharpen my own knives and machete. its just a matter of knowing the angle.
plenty of info on sharpening on youtube and google.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
check some local ferreterias or places doing copies of keys. sometimes they have sharpening machines too and offer sharpening services.

May 29, 2006
I would never put a real knife into a hardware store grinding machine. The bevel would be completely wrong and the stone would be too course. Professional knives(usually) have convex blades and the cheap ones have concave blades.

At the kitchen I worked at last year, they had a fancy $100+ whet stone system. Medium to fine and then extra fine stones. But the cooks wouldn't clean the knives between stones so the courser grit would contaminate the extra fine stones. The other thing you see are cooks banging away on a sharpening steel. One more way to ruin a good knife. A former butcher I worked with showed me how he does it~three careful strokes on each side.

This is what I used when I was processing 200+ pounds of veggies a day. $30 on Ebay and made from excellent steel. Most Asian knives are too lightweight. This is a workhorse.

Yongho Clad Steel Kitchen Santoku Chef's Knife Clever Made by Korea Masterhands | eBay

Most of the time, knives don't need to be "sharpened." They need to be stropped or straightened. Think of the edge of a knife like a feather. The fibers at the end curl and go out of alignment, which makes it dull. Using a steel or honing a knife is like a bird preening its feathers. There isn't any need to remove metal from a knife to get it sharp again unless you're cutting on a hard surface.

Near the ocean, it might help to wrap your knives in oiled newspaper between uses. The salt air can be very aggressive. I keep mine in a tool box from LOWES in a knife guard.