can a gas scooter be shipped to the dominican republic by a shipping company .

Edwin Madera

Jun 17, 2013
I am going to visit my girl in nagua and wondered if i purchased a scooter in nyc was it possible to have it shipped thru one these local nyc shipping companies ? What would the shipping cost and la duana costs ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are thousands of scooters in the DR. Shipping one here can be done, but it will probably cost 40% of the value DR customs assigns to it. That is typically the cost to ship any motor vehicle here.

To get the door to door price, contact Montero, Awilda, etc.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When a Dominican says "GAS", they mean "Propane".
Do you mean "Gasoline" powered scooter???
AND, just buy her a used one here.
She will tell you it was "Stolen" the day you get back to NYC anyway!!!
REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Bring some "NIKE's" too!
"Iphone"!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nice scooter in Nagua is about 43,000 DRP or less......... NEW!!
you can go + or - that

I'd buy locally..... all the Cabrera people go to Nagua to buy --- better pricing.

read the posts on this - espec from CB -- the Chinese make better scooters these days than B4

PLUS -- instant gratification.... you can drive it home !!

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Agree... not worth shipping. Loads available in that area and decent prices. Get a Dominican to go in and buy it for you.. might help with the price. Definitely negotiate down from the first price they quote. We bought a new one here for 39 000 pesos brand new and it has been great. Easy to get fixed for next to nothing here as well.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I am going to visit my girl in nagua and wondered if i purchased a scooter in nyc was it possible to have it shipped thru one these local nyc shipping companies ? What would the shipping cost and la duana costs ?

It is not worth the expense and the Customs BS you will encounter shipping a scooter from NYC.

Buy one in the DR. It will be advantageous to do it that way. You will have parts and service available for local bought motos.

Buy the cheapest one possible just in case things go sour with the girlfriend.

Regards,

PJT

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014

Edwin, Call Quisquenya Shipping at 2091 Amsterdam Ave, ask for Jasmine she will give you a door to door charge- Be sure to have a Clean title no liens and they may ask you the year of the scooter, for cars no cars are exported older than 2008, probably it doesn't apply to a scooter - regards -Serge

May 29, 2006
Just look for the local pawn shop where the other Dominican GFs sold the scooters they got from their American BFs.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Importing a scooter to the DR would be like Eskimos importing ice from California. (come to think of it, with climate change that could become necessary).

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Just look for the local pawn shop where the other Dominican GFs sold the scooters they got from their American BFs.

True Story Here:
This hot Dominican girl has a rich boyfriend from Canada. He sets her up in an apartment, buys her furniture, clothes, and sends her money each month. He comes down about 4 or 5 times a year. He gives her a huge diamond ring. Ok, so she needs more. Gets another boyfriend (from Canada). It goes well and he comes to see her a couple of times. On one of his visits, she asks him to buy her a diamond ring. He says OK and she says "Great, I know a pawn shop that has the perfect ring". They go there, he buys the ring and she now wears the same ring all the time because each of her boyfriends thinks he bought it for her. This girl is a freaking genius. Not to mention she and the pawnshop dude probably making a fortune selling the ring to each of her boyfriends.

Aug 6, 2006
Expensive jewelry is a crappy investment. Costume jewelry and stuff like fake Rolexes are a far better deal, if the goal is to impress the proles and status seekers.

Jewelry is always overpriced by everyone who sells it professionally. A thief might give a better deal, but the odds are greatly in favor of a fake thief selling something that he claims to have gotten from a guy who saw it fall off the truck.

There are a limited number of things that can happen to expensive jewelry.
(1) It will be stolen.
(2) It will be lost.
(3) It will be inherited by someone who will lose it, have it stolen or sell it.
(4) It will be pawned, enabling the original purchaser to pay 30% monthly interest on it again and again.
(5) Only in the rarest of cases will it be held long enough to be sold at a higher value than what it cost.

People seem to forget that 18K is 75% gold, 14K is 58.3% gold, 10K is 41.7% gold. Among people who never forget this are pawnbrokers and jewelery resellers.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Not talking about investment value. JAJAJA. I don't think you understand the scam. She can wear the same jewelry all the time with no risk of being caught because all her boyfriends think they bought it for her. :classic:

May 29, 2006
In case the OP (or anyone else) got a laugh out of this, I can vouch this is absolutely true. They get a big chunk of cash, tell the BF it was stolen, everybody is happy.

I was at a bar in Sosua about ten years back around midnight when this guy came around selling cheap Teddy bears on a display board. This monger was there with his *girlfriend* and when she saw the teddy bears, she did the "It's my son's birthday tomorrow!" routine. So, of course, the guy ends up forking over 500 pesos or whatever for Teddy bear not even worth half that.

I waved the bartender to me and ask her discretely, "How much does does the girl get when she sells the guy the Teddy bear back to him tomorrow?"

The bartender laughed at me and said "Eres tan listo!," and then quietly on the side with a big grin, "medio!"

I was taken in by the same scam the year before when a girl got me to buy her a swim suit from a beach vendor.

Aug 6, 2006
Not talking about investment value. JAJAJA. I don't think you understand the scam. She can wear the same jewelry all the time with no risk of being caught because all her boyfriends think they bought it for her. :classic:

I do understand the scam. It is very clever. But I had nothing to add specifically about it.

May 29, 2006
When another GF asked me to buy her an iron, I agreed, thinking it would be like $10. Oops. Well, I was on the hook for it so I got it for her. Three days later, I asked her where it was and she said "it broke." From then on, when she asked for something, I went out and bought food, which is what she was spending the money on anyway. A 10 pound bag of rice and case of milk in tetra packs is better than whatever they think they want. Food security for a week goes a long way when you're used to buying everything one day and sometimes one meal at a time.

About the best gift I gave to a Dominican GF was taking her to the beauty parlor. She was there for almost two hours yammering away with her friends and drinking a couple Grandes. It didn't cost that much, she felt pampered, and got to brag about how her BF was taking care of her. It was a couple miles to get to the place, so I think it was her hometown friends she was hanging out with. I more than likely paid double what I should have, but it still wasn't that much and it really made her happy.