Hi there, this is Claudia. Looking to establish ties with expat community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
Hi there,

My name is Claudia. I am 40 years old.

Let's start of with the basics. No, I am not in love with a hotel employee, bla bla bla. Though I'll admit to having been close to falling into this trap once many years ago.

I am however, married to a sincere Dominican and we have a beautiful five year old. We met through common friends. Got married in DR and have lived in Spain since.

I am British, but we live in Spain, where I have lived for over 20 years. Lived in other countries previously. Only in UK for my college degree.

Since he came over to Spain, the crisis started. Over 25% unemployment, 6 million unemployed. Not a great scenario for a mulato latin-american in Spain.

In fact, not a great scenario for any of us. I was offered to leave my company when I got pregnant. Typical in Spain. I had a great job though. Good pay. It was unfortunate.

Since I have developed an on-line business and it's not great income but it keeps us alive together with my savings.

It has always been on the back of our minds to go to DR, but lack of infrastructure, expensive schooling (going for the private options), expensive medical care, the problems with security, water and electricity....etc has kept us from making the move.

But Spain is nowhere near getting back on track and even if it did, my husband will always be considered a second degree citizen, so he will never get a qualified job. It's kind of unfair on him and our relationship.

So I keep going back to this idea that we could go back and hope he gets a good job. He worked at managerial level in Edeste before leaving. But we are conscious that he might have to start over again and work his way up.

Just thnking out loud here and expressing some of my concerns. If you have any thoughts, feel free to share and comment.

?How easy will it be for him to get a job? With a salary above 500 euros. Or more like 1000 euros. Does having lived abroad make him more attractive to Dominican employers?

?How easy is it for me to get a european salary? I speak three languages, have and MA and BA and have worked for multinationals. I know it's best to get a job from overseas, but they don't seem to be happening much.

Concerned about my daughter's future. Would like to have enough money to afford university education abroad. And send her to a private school while we live there.

?Will I be able to find a good expat job in Punta Cana? Real Estate, hotel biz, high end tourist services.

?How about setting up shop in Punta Cana or Sosua? A biz for the tourists. I am also a trained therapist.

?Where do expats get together?

?Is it really as unsafe as I feel it is? I hate the constant double pricing, as soon as they see me, the price goes up. I don't want to be robbed at gunpoint every other day. Also, my daughter is a bomshell, or will be when she grows up. Any kidnapping?

Thinking of coming over this summer for a couple months and renting some sort of camper van or similar, to go around the island and check everything out for myself. Any ideas on van rentals?

If I continue with my on-line business do I have to declare income tax in DR. How does that work?

These are just some things that spring to mind. As you see, I am nowhere specific right now.

Just testing the water and introducing myself.

Will start to become more active in the community in hopes that maybe one day we finally take the plunge.

Don't really have the capital to just go and check it out for myself right now. If we go, we go.

Best to all.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to DR1

I'm sure you'll get a plethora of doom-and-gloom responses. Getting the kind of income you're looking for is slim-to-none, unless you have extraordinary luck.

Is living in the UK an option?

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Look into going back to England. You won't make they amount of money you want in the D.R. As far as starting a tourist business do a search because there are plenty threads about that.
The good thing is you have your husbands family to help.
Good luck, I hope all works out for you.

drescape24

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would never ever recommend to anyone that they come to the DR if they need to work on anything but an online business. It is not like the economic climate is better than what you describe where you are. And you already know very well the other issues here which are important reasons why the economic climate is not better.

I assume you meant the health care is expensive here because it is free public health care in Spain and the UK? I suspect you pay very high taxes for this "free" care. For someone from the US, health care in the DR is not expensive. Otherwise you have the correct situation regarding, water, electricity, expensive private schools and add to that a lack of good jobs that pay any real money. Not doom and gloom, just reality.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
here are some of the job openings posted for Punta Cana http://www.opcionempleo.com.do/ofertas-empleo-la-altagracia-121129.html And here are some listings for teaching jobs Teach English Abroad in Dominican Republic | American TESOL Training with Job Placement

If you husband speaks English fluently, there is always work in the call centers which starts at around US $600 and can work up.

No, no kidnapping.

No, no camper vans..

You really are not going to have a lot of options of where to live.. probably either the Capital or Bavaro.

You do not say what your degrees are in. Or your business. But if you on line business is supporting you there, could it not support you here as well?

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

My husband's family is a modest family. Their help will be limited.

I have considered the UK.

But my husband will always be in the inmigrant position. I was hoping he could take the "provider" role, and I only see this happening if we move back to the DR.

Plus UK weather really gets me down and until we settle in we would have to live modestly. UK is not cheap.

My husband isn't keen on going back to DR either. He is not very dominicano. More Swiss-like minded. It's a beautiful country but in such a mess.

Cost of living where we are now, is good. We pay 300 euros rent for a 4 bedroom flat. Car is payed for. Public schooling is good quality and bilingual. Social security is good and efficient. Medicine is free in our case.

We are getting frustrated after 6 years of trying to make it with my on-line business. We get by, but this is not progressing. We want to get ahead of the game. Save for retirement, get a college fund, etc.

We are just getting by at the mo.

As I said, I am 40 and a mom. Not very hireable, it seems. Despite a good cv I haven't had many opportunities. My BA is in Politics and my MA is in Marketing. I have worked for Citigroup and Morgan Stanley. I speak many languages and worked internationally. Not bragging, just saying I have a good profile but I think my age and mom status are getting in the way.

My on-line business had given me excellent entrepreneurship skills. So moving to the DR is really for my husbands sake and then I'll see if I can up my game. But I am not going for a dominican salary, that's for sure.

It sounds like I have a pretty clear picture of DR. Just hoping some expat family there has worked it out and can share the knwoledge.

We haven't been back in 6 years. Would love to go for an extended holiday but hiring a car to get around is a big part of the budget. And staying with family is going to be cramped and awkward.

Not to mention flights. I figure a 3.000 euro budget to visit. Don't want to spend my savings on that; we might need it in the future if things don't improve over here.

Sounds like we are bound to Spain and to the roles we chose when we got married. I really thought he would be able to get a qualified job when he came over. Indeed he almost did, but when recession kicked in his options dissapeared for good. Now 6 years jobless makes him less and less hireable.

The financial burden is heavy on me. Feeling that all our income depends on what I can come up with. It isn't easy to deal with. And I can imagine his situation. Though he doesn't say, but I know men need to feel they contribute financially. So, maybe there is a small chance that moving to the DR would be good for us ????. Tough decision.

Which is why, your experiences are important. Thanks again for contributing to this thread.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
Spain might be tough for you now but DR would be much tougher for you later.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
girl, i gotta rain on your parade. coming to DR will solve nothing. he's not likely to get a job here either after 6 years of unemployment, especially a job that will make him an alpha earner and enable you to save for the future.

i would really consider UK at this point. i lived in london for 4 years and i know that getting a lower level position is fairly easy. furthermore, it will guarantee livable income. even when i was working as a cleaner/waitress i still had money to travel.

DR is not an answer to your problems.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In the "UK" there is a big "Safety Net".
Even the unemployed have a place to live, food, education for children,and health care.
AND, one more thing,.."OPPORTUNITY"!
You won't find ANY of the Above here in the DR!
Much better to be "Poor" in the "UK" than here in the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Stay

Cost of living where we are now, is good. We pay 300 euros rent for a 4 bedroom flat. Car is payed for. Public schooling is good quality and bilingual. Social security is good and efficient. Medicine is free in our case.

Thus: Stay where you are.
[Many here want out just to have that (again)...]

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
here are some of the job openings posted for Punta Cana http://www.opcionempleo.com.do/ofertas-empleo-la-altagracia-121129.html And here are some listings for teaching jobs Teach English Abroad in Dominican Republic | American TESOL Training with Job Placement

If you husband speaks English fluently, there is always work in the call centers which starts at around US $600 and can work up.

No, no kidnapping.

No, no camper vans..

You really are not going to have a lot of options of where to live.. probably either the Capital or Bavaro.

You do not say what your degrees are in. Or your business. But if you on line business is supporting you there, could it not support you here as well?

mountainannie, i have heard of all these magical call center jobs that pay 25,000 pesos per month, AND UP. i just have never met anyone who actually has one.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
Great answers! Thanks!

UK....I mean, this isn't the forum for it, but if you are up and willing...i sure do have questions.

Like where should we go first? Where is it more likely for him to get a job? He doesn't speak English, at least not very much.

Does it sound like a plan, that we find a room in shared accomodation (3 of us plus a chihuahua) until we get settled in.

Paying more than 300 euro in rent is not going to be easy right now.

I have only been in the UK for a couple of years doing my BA, in Egham Surrey. I know the South and London well, but not the North.

Thought of starting in Reading, a lot of tech companies there.

But maybe North would be best because it's cheaper.

Or South to get a bit more sunshine.

I have some family in London, pushing their seventies though. Not much help.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in the UK community colleges offer various courses at low costs: from languages to manual skills. both you and your husband may have a chance to get education and experience that may, in the future, allow you to open and successfully run a business in DR. british pound goes along way too so whatever you will save there can be used to facilitate a move to DR one day.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
We don't want to live there per se (DR, I mean) . The occasional visit will be fine for us.

If we can find a way to move to the Uk without spending all our savings, I am ready to give it a go. Specially for the little one.

But how to start. Where to live until we get jobs. Which city to choose. I am qualified, just worried my age won't be very interesting.

My husband would be happy to get any kind of job and start getting an income.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Check out SkyNet in Santiago......they have employees picking up $30,000 per month....six day week.....12 hour shifts.... but the pay is real.

mountainannie, i have heard of all these magical call center jobs that pay 25,000 pesos per month, AND UP. i just have never met anyone who actually has one.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
Ok. Thanks. Sounds like it could be a plan! I have googled call centre jobs and skynet to no avail. Any more info you can give me to refine the search?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
No, it is not going to be a plan. The call center jobs that I know of that pay well,, with Vimenpaq, and another that answers emergency calls from the US are only for English speakers. That is not going to help with getting you off the hook as the sole supporter of the family. I just made the leap that since he is married to an Englishwoman, he speaks English.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Ok. Thanks. Sounds like it could be a plan! I have googled call centre jobs and skynet to no avail. Any more info you can give me to refine the search?

this is not a plan. your husband does not speak english so call center jobs are out of the question.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
But, while he does find a job, if I manage to get a closer to 50000 pesos salary, plus my online business, we could afford a nicer version of Dr living...Which would make it bearable.

There seems to be a need for native English speakers, which means I could have a good chance of getting a higher salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.