Advice - TV Repair or Replace?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
So this morning I wake up and go through my normal routine that includes turning on the television to watch the news and nada.... so I'm wondering.... it's a 42 inch high definition LG but it's 7 years old. Does anyone know of a repair shop in Puerto Plata that makes house calls? Yes, it's got power! I don't want to junk it without knowing if it can be fixed but lugging it to a shop is beyond me. Help?!?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it may be fixable, it may be toast

the salt air makes a mess of them.... 7 yrs old

there are repair shops.... but POP is not my neighborhood

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
There is a guy named Angel at Distribution Hernandez near Central Park in POP that repaired my TV last year and he came to my place for an assessment before taking the TV to the shop.... 4 days and 3800 pesos later, the TV was repaired and still working today.... Much cheaper than a new one... Give him a call.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Yes, I know that place and coming here for an assessment would be great. My Spanish is really bad so I'll get someone else to call or drive by there with a Spanish speaking friend. Thanks!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Google - Repair and TV Make and Model. You should find your answer. If the fix requires repair man solutions I would say replace. These flats are costly to repair and after seven years replace might be your best option. If you do replace, consider keeping the old one to continue to fiddle with and/or to use it for parts, if you are so inclined.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a guy named Angel at Distribution Hernandez near Central Park in POP that repaired my TV last year and he came to my place for an assessment before taking the TV to the shop.... 4 days and 3800 pesos later, the TV was repaired and still working today.... Much cheaper than a new one... Give him a call.

You can also try:

Luis Jose Estrella
Owner at Servicio de Radoio Y Television
809-586-2557
12 de Julio #164, Puerto Plata

He is not far from La Sirena on the parallel street from the Malecon.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
An update on my big LG TV repair -- success! The total cost including a new power supply, labor and high end voltage protector with bonus for extra service of pickup and delivery - RD$7000! A bargain considering a replacement 42-inch HD LCD would hhave been about 4 X as much! If you need a referral for the repairman, just pm me. (Puerto Plata, Costambar and Cofresi)

Judy