My chikungunya

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well, I have been down with this chikungunya since last Sunday morning.
Initially it was painful to move my limbs at all, and walking was painful once up. My hands and feet were the most painful initially, but as the day moved on literally every bone in my body began to ache relentlessly, resting or moving. And so I got the good old Dominican shot which is always recomended it seems no matter what illness you have or what doctor you consult, but did very little for me. Next day was worse, and then my head began to want to burst, couldn?t look into light, or out of the window as it wrecked my head.
And this went on getting worse, I got some tablets that are being dished out it seems as many here now have it. And this seems to have brought my out in abseses and boils all over, in quite the worst possible places, my head is now fine but moving is now painful, not due to muscle and bone pain, but because I have so many abseses and boils on me, and my joints are like balloons, no women are looking to ravish me right now I can assure you.
But hopefully this is now coming to an end, and I can start to move about after the weekend.
I have written my experience as I would like to know of others similarities and where it went from here.

I had Dengue a couple of years ago, and the headaches can not be compared to that of Dengue, but the muscle and joint pain is much much worse.

Give me chikungunya over Dengue any day, but it is still a nasty little virus, spreading quite agressively it seems.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oooooo, I feel sorry for you.... I've had the Dengue headaches - awful, but at least that the only discomfort....
Joint pain and inflammation..... ugh, Hug.

Throw in the boils just for good measure....

Speedy recovery

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My niece is just getting over chikungunya. Poor thing could not even get out of bed. I just had family leave from PC, was there 3 days with them. Hope none get sick.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Is it true that once you've had the chickungunya you can't get it again??

Yeah, I read a blurb somewhere, maybe here, suggesting immunity after initial contraction. Can we clear that up one way or another. I would rest easier thinking okay, if I get it once I'm good to go afterwards. Thanks for the post confirming the symptoms HUG.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
With me it started last Monday afternoon, Tuesday I slept most of the day on the beach while taking acetaminophen and vitamin B. Wednesday the itch started and by Thursday it was over.
It effects people differently, know people who after 18 days are still feeling it, luckily I'm not one of them ;)
Hug, get well soon

Is it true that once you've had the chickungunya you can't get it again??

That's what my wife was told and read about it but who knows?!

Hug I am really sorry you have this! My wife got it about 3 months ago and it has taken that long for her to recover she said the joint pain and head aches were horrible she still has a little joint pain in her fingers and toes but nothing like it was. I think it can be a lot different from person to person, she only had one weird rash on her chest that she got about 6 weeks into it.

The weird thing is she often felt better then the pain came back with a fever, she is not too good at resting so if you are feeling better still take it easy for a bit!!

I hope you recover quickly!

Aug 6, 2006
There is a lot of this in Barahona, and some people there have had this twice, they told me. The best thing you can do to avoid it is to use insect repellent, and to use it in particular AFTER you get this, so mosquitoes flitting about you do not spread it to those around you. The mosquitoes that spread this are diurnal (daytime) mosquitoes, they say. There are rumors that some people have died as a result from getting this, perhaps because it weakened them and other chronic conditions they already had (diabetes, heart trouble) became worse.

There are mosquito coils you burn and foggers, but probably the liquid you rub on yourself is the most effective deterrent.

I wish you a speedy recovery, HUG.

I have been postponing a trip because of this. Window screens are not very common in the DR, I have noticed.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
So that's what it is..!

I just put it down to old age creeping in..

How long before the aches and pains go away on average?

Aug 6, 2006
I would also recommend vitamin D3. Juicing and vitamins might not do much, but they could not hurt. I'd say DEET is probably more likely to prevent contagion than juices and vitamins. The idea is to not get bitten.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I would also recommend vitamin D3. Juicing and vitamins might not do much, but they could not hurt. I'd say DEET is probably more likely to prevent contagion than juices and vitamins. The idea is to not get bitten.

the idea is to not get sick......

maybe people do not realize that once you get past 30 or 40 years old, you do not get much goodness from eating food. I think it was 10% less absorption every 10 years as a guide.

Therefore many people just eating food do not realize that they are in fact not getting as much goodness from it as they may think.

Juicing is an excellent way to boost your immunity . greens especially.

but yes, I take your point, prevention from being bitten is also necessary.