Residency and or Citizenship for Foreigners? Is is achievable in the DR?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
31,000 Haitians have gone to DR gov offices and started the documentation process to become citizens. Out of that number it is reported that only 100 had the correct papers to prove they are Haitian citizens, that being passports or birth certificates. Are DR officials now finding that they may be between a rock and a hard place in trying to enforce the law of the land? It is a "catch 22" situation. The vast majority of Haitians currently in the DR are undocumented. The Haitian gov is not making it easy for those individuals to get the proper documents needed for proof of Haitian citizenship so they can be made available for the process in the DR. Will DR gov. officials need to be more flexible in trying to document "illegal" Haitians now currently residing in the DR or will they force their own hand and after a certain amount of time be forced to send them back to Haiti? This looks like it is shaping up to be a very difficult process for the DR and one that Haitian officials do not really want to help with either financially or otherwise. Buenos Suarte DR Immigration officals you will need it.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
31,000 Haitians have gone to DR gov offices and started the documentation process to become citizens. Out of that number it is reported that only 100 had the correct papers to prove they are Haitian citizens, that being passports or birth certificates. Are DR officials now finding that they may be between a rock and a hard place in trying to enforce the law of the land? It is a "catch 22" situation. The vast majority of Haitians currently in the DR are undocumented. The Haitian gov is not making it easy for those individuals to get the proper documents needed for proof of Haitian citizenship so they can be made available for the process in the DR. Will DR gov. officials need to be more flexible in trying to document "illegal" Haitians now currently residing in the DR or will they force their own hand and after a certain amount of time be forced to send them back to Haiti? This looks like it is shaping up to be a very difficult process for the DR and one that Haitian officials do not really want to help with either financially or otherwise. Buenos Suarte DR Immigration officals you will need it.

Only a .3% success rate out of all applicants-now that this has been advertised-how many are going to actually come in to be part of a process that has a very low conversion rate. The failure is the process here-If they want amnesty-then it needs to be with limited conditions. You can not have your cake and eat it too.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
31,000 Haitians have gone to DR gov offices and started the documentation process to become citizens.

Do you think this is clogging up the immigration system and slowing down processing times for non-Haitians currently pursuing Dominican citizenship?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Just to be clear, I do not think that this is about giving the haitians Citizenship.. it is about giving them Cedulas. legal papers to be here. Citizenship would give them voting rights and I am pretty sure that is the last thing that the DR wants.

There is a process for registering the children born to "illegals" here but that will expire in 90 days and non of the NGOs seem to be working on it....... alas.. They would have the rights to become naturalized citizens when they turn 18, I think.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Just to be clear, I do not think that this is about giving the haitians Citizenship.. it is about giving them Cedulas. legal papers to be here. Citizenship would give them voting rights and I am pretty sure that is the last thing that the DR wants.

Interesting thought... Should they however go through the renewal processes enough times, in theory they'd be qualified to apply for citizenship 7 or whatever years down the line?

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013

The system in my opinion didnt fail. Its doing what it was designed to do. All DR governmental peoples know that huge numbers of Haitians will never be able to provide the necessary documents to become registered in the DR. I even know that. So what will be the result........ Good bye haitian , go home get your papers..... good luck to you hahahahaha. The DR goverment is now legally and appropriately forcing the Haitians to return to their home, where they belong.
My country would never accept undocumented peoples, why would you expect the DR to aquiesce to the demands of some people that say 'let the Haitians stay, so what if they dont have documentation etc etc? These people are do-gooders and i cant stand them

I had to get residency, you had to get residency...... if you cant afford it looks like you are sh!t outta luck. This is a great idea by the DR goverment. Ideally it will result in extremely poor people who need to steal to survive being sent home; other criminal foreign / peadophiles etc being sent home; and hopefully a safer and better place for the local people and rich foreigners that have conducted themselves appropriately ( getting residency etc).

Seriously, if you are going to allow thousands of Haitians into the country what shall they do for work??? I know a haitian family and they have been in the country for yearsssss and they continue to stuggle each and everyday. We need to say there is nothing here for you in the DR, go home...please. I think this is really the final word on this subject , so the moderator is now free to close this thread. I'm stepping down from my soap box...thank you and good night

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The system in my opinion didnt fail. Its doing what it was designed to do. All DR governmental peoples know that huge numbers of Haitians will never be able to provide the necessary documents to become registered in the DR. I even know that. So what will be the result........ Good bye haitian , go home get your papers..... good luck to you hahahahaha. The DR goverment is now legally and appropriately forcing the Haitians to return to their home, where they belong.
My country would never accept undocumented peoples, why would you expect the DR to aquiesce to the demands of some people that say 'let the Haitians stay, so what if they dont have documentation etc etc? These people are do-gooders and i cant stand them

I had to get residency, you had to get residency...... if you cant afford it looks like you are sh!t outta luck. This is a great idea by the DR goverment. Ideally it will result in extremely poor people who need to steal to survive being sent home; other criminal foreign / peadophiles etc being sent home; and hopefully a safer and better place for the local people and rich foreigners that have conducted themselves appropriately ( getting residency etc).

Seriously, if you are going to allow thousands of Haitians into the country what shall they do for work??? I know a haitian family and they have been in the country for yearsssss and they continue to stuggle each and everyday. We need to say there is nothing here for you in the DR, go home...please. I think this is really the final word on this subject , so the moderator is now free to close this thread. I'm stepping down from my soap box...thank you and good night

Yes, this law will eliminate the illegals living in the country.....

lol

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hey lovemedo, when you refer to your country would you mind sharing which one?

not to argue with you...but...

extremely poor people doon't "need to steal in order to survive." Many extremely poor people do not steal. Many rich people do steal.

Chances are the other "criminal foreign/paedophiles by definition had to get on a plane to arrive in DR. they can likely coughup the processing fee. btw, it's funny, cuz the syntax implies that native criminal paedophiles are less of a problem.

grazi!

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
This is what our Lawyer told us, ours took 11 months.

Thanks for the input. Would you mind sharing how long ago you obtained citizenship? My interview was in late September (yes I passed) and still haven't heard back. It was only supposed to take only 6-7 months.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I agree. That was exactly my point. This law is really designed to make it impossible for most Haitians to legally remain in the DR. They don't have the documentation and can't get it from their home country. Let's call it for what it is. This is a orchestrated effort on the part of the DR gov. to be able to legally deport thousands of Haitians who have come here illegally, who in the eyes of the DR are not productive and are utilizing resources meant for Dominican Citizens. The **** is going to hit the fan in the near future and it will get messy.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

There is a process for registering the children born to "illegals" here but that will expire in 90 days and non of the NGOs seem to be working on it....... alas.. They would have the rights to become naturalized citizens when they turn 18, I think.

In the title of the thread I stated residency and OR citizenship to foreigners, which include the majority of illegals, Haitians and also other foreigners without legal status of some kind. The sad thing is that the DR gov knows full well that there are few Haitians that can obtain the legal documents necessary to complete the process in the DR. Yes, the DR govs. transparency is to get all Haitians currently without legal residence a cedula but come on, really, we all know what the end result for the majority of Haitians will be. Unless the Haitian gov. steps up, which is highly unlikely, their citizens now living in the DR, will receive no documents and will not be able to complete the process in the DR. Surprise, Surprise!! Looks like we will have to bring you back to the border and march you across back into Haiti. Have a nice life. See ya, don't let the border gate hit you on the way back in. Au Revoir, my Haitian amigo. By the way, don't try sneaking back in because next time we won't be as friendly.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In the title of the thread I stated residency and OR citizenship to foreigners, which include the majority of illegals, Haitians and also other foreigners without legal status of some kind. The sad thing is that the DR gov knows full well that there are few Haitians that can obtain the legal documents necessary to complete the process in the DR. Yes, the DR govs. transparency is to get all Haitians currently without legal residence a cedula but come on, really, we all know what the end result for the majority of Haitians will be. Unless the Haitian gov. steps up, which is highly unlikely, their citizens now living in the DR, will receive no documents and will not be able to complete the process in the DR. Surprise, Surprise!! Looks like we will have to bring you back to the border and march you across back into Haiti. Have a nice life. See ya, don't let the border gate hit you on the way back in. Au Revoir, my Haitian amigo. By the way, don't try sneaking back in because next time we won't be as friendly.

Proper thing to do. I know several Haitians here in Jarabacoa that did the residency process several years ago and had no problems ( insurmountable ones anyways) that prevented them from getting all their Haitian documentation.