Are these available?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I don't know about the short fat colman style propane tanks, but you can buy a propane tank from any ferreteria used for soldering that will screw right onto your grill. I've had to go this route when I couldn't find the others.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Ive seen the Coleman's in SD at Ferreteria Americana and I think in Santiago at La Sirena...so they may have them at the La Sirena in Pto Pta...

I had a simple adapter made for my portable grill at a local ferreteria for a couple hundred pesos and used a regular full-size tank, which are easy to find in Sosua.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Small LPG Cylinder

Maybe I can help....

DSCF3771.jpg

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We brought a bunch of the little tanks from NJ, and an adapter that lets us refill them from our big propane tanks. Mr AE puts the little tanks into the freezer first before refilling them, takes no time at all to refill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 5, 2007
We brought a bunch of the little tanks from NJ, and an adapter that lets us refill them from our big propane tanks. Mr AE puts the little tanks into the freezer first before refilling them, takes no time at all to refill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, how does TSA verify the little propane tanks are empty?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Buy an adapter hose to connect a non-screw-on tank to your BBQ. They cost about $25 at home. It will save you a bunch of hassle if you can't find a portable tank when you need one.

You can't put a propane tank on an aircraft even if it's empty.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can see it now, someone gets on a plane carrying a cylinder and has a bunch of wires sticking out of their back pocket...

Yeah, that would be hysterical even without the wires.

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
We had a heck of a time finding the small Coleman tanks - non to be had in POP... we finally found them in Santiago at Jumbo... more expensive than in Canada but... needed them.

When we got back, bought an adapter to take down in January so we can buy a larger tank and use that instead of messing around with small tanks.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Maybe I can help....
Don
Thanks Don but I was thinking smaller than that, I have a small tank here at home half that size.
I was hoping to stay portable.
Mack.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Propane tanks here in Canada have a date stamp on them and when it expires the tanks cannot be refilled until they have been re-certified.
Is there such a policy in the DR or am I just being naive?
Mack.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This would be such a great option for Haiti where folks cannot afford to fill up the big tanks. But I guess it is way more expensive. I heard that there was even an issue that the tanks over there do not fit the fillers over here or something like that. But i remember camping and loving those little tanks but never knew that there was a way to refill them. Glad to see that can be done now.