Cast Iron Cook ware in Santiago?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
In the plaza behind the new National is a home ware store that has great kitchen equipment, you might try there.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I don't remember if they had cast iron but PriceSmart has some good stuff. We just got three skillets that work great.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I'm in Santiago and about a year ago I went through a pretty extensive search of cast iron locally with no results. I eventually just had a friend bring a few lodge cast iron pans in her suitcase and have been using them ever since. When I first got them I thought they sucked but over time and learning how to season and take care of them in general, they are the go to pan for seared meats, pancakes, corn bread and a lot of yummy staples :)

May 29, 2006
It's also important to never wash them with soap or use AJAX on them. If you need to scour, use dry table salt. After you clean it, warm it on the range then wipe it with some oil or spray with PAM. Keep it in the oven and season it more when you bake. The idea is to get a gradual patina of carbon on it which will protect it from rust and prevent sticking. Frying chicken always helps..

I'm kind of on the fence about bringing one down. They seem perfect for Dominican cooking and I hate using those Aluminum pots. They're heavy and bulky to lug around.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Purchased a Le Creuset Dutch Oven from Supermercado Nacional here in Santiago some 6years ago, it was on sale for $5,000. I also have imported one other, a Lodge, via Amazon but this cost me dearly to ship via Vimenpaq.

Quite outstanding pots.

May 29, 2006
Def check Ebay for them. Lots of people get them for wedding gifts and have no idea what to do with them since they can't go in the microwave. Lodge now makes a Le Creuset knock-off... finally.