Haitians being given preferential treatment?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Are Haitians being given preferential treatment with regard to processing and waiting times? Are their cases being moved in front of those filed by other foreigners? Also, will some of the illegal Haitians be getting immediate Dominican citizenship, or just a cedula only? Any thoughts?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are Haitians being given preferential treatment with regard to processing and waiting times? Are their cases being moved in front of those filed by other foreigners? Also, will some of the illegal Haitians be getting immediate Dominican citizenship, or just a cedula only? Any thoughts?

It's been explained several times that the regularization program gives the successful applicants a one-year temporary residency, which includes a cedula. They will have to reapply like anyone else after a year.

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
Does anybody know where the office is in Puerto Plata? In the other thread mountainannie posted the address of Av. Luis Genebra #36 but I went up and down that street twice holding up traffic from driving so slow and didn't see anything. Any help would be appreciated.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Don't know for certain, but I think it will be in the office building next to the headquarters of the PN. That is the provincial governor's office.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Supposedly some 80,000 people, mostly Haitians, have attempted to apply for an appointment with a regularization/naturalization official and only around 300 people out of those 80,000 actually qualify. Doesn't sound like preferential treatment to me. Most people that haven't been able to qualify the first step is due to lack of proper identity documents and most of them are Haitians.

There is also an issue with Haitians getting their identity papers from the Haitian government officials at the Haitian embassy and consulates, so they are not getting preferential treatment from that side either. Much of this part of the problem is the cost the Haitian government is charging, which is too high for many undocumented Haitians. There is another problem that is not being talked about and that is the time it takes for the Haitian government to hand the documents after a Haitian asks for them and pays. I few weeks ago I read something about this and if I remember correctly it said that it could take up to six months just to hand the papers to whomever asks for one.

The regularization/naturalization plan ends next year and whomever is not at least in the process, even if later it turns out they are not qualified, will be in a tight situation.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
seems that the office is not open, read on the diario libre yesterday Fadul dice trabajan en depuraci?n de extranjeros que completaron regularizaci?n - DiarioLibre.com "...Inform? que dispuso la apertura de nuevas oficinas en ciudades como Saman?, Cotu? y el Municipio Santo Domingo Este. Tambi?n se est? evaluando abrir otras en Valverde, La Vega, Constanza y Puerto Plata."

Does anybody know where the office is in Puerto Plata? In the other thread mountainannie posted the address of Av. Luis Genebra #36 but I went up and down that street twice holding up traffic from driving so slow and didn't see anything. Any help would be appreciated.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It will be a cold day in hell when a Haitian receives anything resembling preferential treatment in the DR. It has been my experience that the majority of Dominicans do not like Haitians and would prefer them out of the country until such time as hard manual labor is required.