Hello from new member

b1llyrae

Jul 14, 2014
Hi. I am a Canadian who is retiring in November. I have been to the DR a few times but always stayed at resorts. I really enjoyed POP. Once I retire I have rented a place in Sosua for 4 months to see how I like living there. I am interested in any advice I can get. From what I have read I am a little nervous I have chosen the wrong
city.

I am enjoy reading the forums

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Welcome. We are also retired and have been coming to Sosua and renting for the past 4 winters. We are also Canadian. After 4 years we have purchased a condo on the water. We have made many friends in the expat as well as the local community. Take your time and explore the area. Realise that 4 months is residing here and not just a vacation. Read many of the previous threads on living in the Dr as well as the north coast. Bring your sense of humour and a thick skin to this site and you will be fine.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Welcome from your southern most province Michigan! We moved to the Sosua area 2 months ago from Northern Michigan. Our first few trips some 14 years ago were to all inclusives. All inclusive resorts are a different lifestyle than living here full time off a resort. You are very wise in renting, leaving all your options open. SOsua offers a large Canadian expat community and a lot of English speaking Dominicans and Expats. We chose this area for that reason after staying in Punta Cana, Higuey, Rio San Juan and Cabrera. Do your research, expect the unexpected and don't freak out, life is such a different pace than Canada and even more tranquil than a resort. We rented several places and have finally settled on the mountainside of Sosua up past the international school, it is quiet, peaceful.....life here is what you make it! Smile, embrace the Dominican culture and you will be fine, take an aristocratic attitude and life will be difficult. I am presently writing a book for those wishing to retire in the DOminican Republic and have tons of research over the past 14 years of visiting here and now living here for 2 years. Would not go back to the US, this is for us life as it should be! Know Sosua Matt, met him and his lovely wife here 2 years ago and you couldn't ask for a better friend! He can offer some good advice on places to live. You can always PM me if you want more info WELCOME ABOARD and hope to meet you in NOvember!

b1llyrae

Jul 14, 2014
Thank you for your welcome. I am glad to hear from people that living in Sosua is as enjoyable as I hope it is going to be for me. I am looking to learn and truly experience the island. I know as a tourist you see so little of the culture. I thought Sosua was an interesting and beautiful place when I went scuba diving there a few times. Would it be alright if I write you and ask a few questions as I get ready for my move?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Sorry you can not come to the DR and stay for 4 months any more the DR is closing its doors ferget about retiring in the DR thy do not want you.
The good day are over!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry you can not come to the DR and stay for 4 months any more the DR is closing its doors ferget about retiring in the DR thy do not want you.
The good day are over!

Enough doom and gloom from you yacht chef! Nothing is going to change for quite awhile, so stop this now.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Hi. I am a Canadian who is retiring in November. I have been to the DR a few times but always stayed at resorts. I really enjoyed POP. Once I retire I have rented a place in Sosua for 4 months to see how I like living there. I am interested in any advice I can get. From what I have read I am a little nervous I have chosen the wrong
city.

I am enjoy reading the forums

Interesting. I am from the US, retiring in October. I will also be renting in Sosua from January-March to see if I want to make it permanent.