Is there any american jobs in DR?

F

figz13

Hello All,

I was wondering if there is any american jobs anywhere in DR.
And if so would you have pay to taxes to DR or the US.

- Figz

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I believe that if your an American citizen, you have to file an annual USA tax return and report all income earned anywhere in the world. However a certain part of income earned abroad is exempt from federal income tax (it used to be $75,000. Not sure what it is now?). Plus you receive a credit for any taxes paid in the country where you earned the income.

As to "American Jobs", I'm sure there are American corporations, etc with offices in the DR. (If that's what you mean by "American Jobs"?)

Good luck.

F

figz13

Thanks , Yea I mean I'm sure this has been asked millions of times here on dr1. Any jobs that would pay in U.S. dollars.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I believe that if your an American citizen, you have to file an annual USA tax return and report all income earned anywhere in the world. However a certain part of income earned abroad is exempt from federal income tax (it used to be $75,000. Not sure what it is now?). Plus you receive a credit for any taxes paid in the country where you earned the income.

As to "American Jobs", I'm sure there are American corporations, etc with offices in the DR. (If that's what you mean by "American Jobs"?)

Good luck.

The foreign earned income exclusion for tax year 2014 is $99,200.
It was $76K in 2000!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I know a few Americans who work in the D.R. for U.S. companies.

They were hired in the USA and sent there.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
If you have the qualifications you can work for an international school which will pay you in the dollar of your country. You can also try elance.com which has many job opportunities via the internet and some are tax free. They will say that W9 not necessary (which is tax reporting in the US of income as an individual contractor where you set aside the taxes yourself, the only benefit to this is if you are trying to attain a higher social security payment when you retire) You can work at odd jobs earning cash (usually in pesos at the current exchange rate) which in the US we would consider "under the table" Good luck

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
First of all, what American company would hire someone who says "is there jobs" as opposed to "are there jobs". The jobs that would be available to your level of vocabulary are not available here, the Haitians have taken all the Sugar Cane and Concrete jobs. And do you really think you are going to earn $99,200 anywhere? Teach school? No.

Last edited:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
First of all, what American company would hire someone who says "is there jobs" as opposed to "are there jobs". The jobs that would be available to your level of vocabulary are not available here, the Haitians have taken all the Sugar Cane and Concretet jobs. And do you really think you are going to earn $99,200 anywhere? Teach school? No.

That's funny.........
I know............a typo..........

B in Santiago

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
First of all, what American company would hire someone who says "is there jobs" as opposed to "are there jobs". The jobs that would be available to your level of vocabulary are not available here, the Haitians have taken all the Sugar Cane and Concrete jobs. And do you really think you are going to earn $99,200 anywhere? Teach school? No.

Gosh! He was only asking. Could well be just a curious school kid.
Plus there are many companies here that would employ people for their english speaking abilities and probably wouldn't really worry about errors in grammar.

Feb 7, 2007
Plus there are many companies here that would employ people for their english speaking abilities and probably wouldn't really worry about errors in grammar.

But if you write "is there jobs", most likely you would also (verbally) say "is there jobs". So there go the "speaking abilities", down the drain....

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
OMG. I cant stand grammar police. It'ss called a typo. like the one the keyboard i use makes. note the lack of apostrophe on the contraction. but u still understood it.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello All,

- Figz

If you are thinking you would like to move to the DR but be able to work for an American company that has an office here the chances of that is quite slim. You would most likely have to be hired for this type of job in the US and have the skills and language proficency to go with it. I am talking about being bi-lingual. I am sure you could search the internet for info on American companies in the DR.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Hello All,

- Figz

There are American companies in the DR. Mainly pharmaceutical companies in Santiago, but there are also plastics and plating companies too. Industrial construction also goes on, but most of the labor positions are filled by locals with the supervisory positions held by Americans that have a good working knowledge of Spanish.

Money you earn outside the US is only taxable in excess of just less than 100k/ yr. If you spend less than 30 days per year in the states, it's non taxable income.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The DR and USA both have Government jobs! They do have many similar characteristics, one just hides it better.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
IS and ARE would be hard to be a typo, a typo for example if for is.

Is it fair to assume you are a third grade teacher on summer break?
So the guy is an illiterate, cut him some slack, not all of us are Yale grads.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
OMG. I cant stand grammar police. It'ss called a typo. like the one the keyboard i use makes. note the lack of apostrophe on the contraction. but u still understood it.

You are correct, I understood him. BUT I WOULD NOT HIRE HIM. People can speak what ever way they like but they must accept the consequences.

Regarding being paid in dollars: if you get paid in pesos but want dollars then go to a money changer and exchange pesos for dollars.

However, if the question is can I get paid the same or equivalent amount as in the US. NO!

An finally jobs is not a contraction no apostrophe.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I think it is an interesting conversation either way. I know I sometimes post on my iPhone at a wide variety of locations and do not always proof read before I post. As far as what I would consider an "american job" it would be something that pays a wage I would consider decent by american standards.

People are in different situations so a decent wage would be different for different people. I am in the situation where I would have a pension I could probably leave off and not have to work if I was to move here full time. But I could also go back to school and get an additional college degree if I thought it would help me get a job here. My friends and family ask me all the time what I would do if I moved to the DR after retirement. They know I would want to do something even if I could leave off my pension alone.

There are a lot of things that just do not pay well here and I would not consider doing here. I live in Houston with one of the largest medical centers in the world and there are a ton of decent paying jobs in the medical field. But I could not become nurse, physician assistant, etc and move here and make a decent wage. Of course if Houston we have a ton of oil and gas jobs but there does not seem to be a lot of those jobs here.

Construction seems like an option. Owning a business seems hard but is another option. I have respect for people that come here and support themselves on a business alone without any other income. The problem here seems to be there is not much of a middle class to spend money and so many tourist spend all their time in the all inclusive places.

Out the door. No time to spell check.