I just read this and want to know if it is true

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
"Dominican Republic?s stunning new Coral Highway (the Autopista del Coral), which connects the famous resorts of the eco-rich La Romana region to the luxe beaches and resorts in Punta Cana, was officially inaugurated by the President of the Dominican Republic, Dr. Leonel Fern?ndez, on Aug. 8. The four-lane highway connects three of the most popular tourist regions in the country. The highway shortens the trip from the capital city of Santo Domingo to Punta Cana from four hours to roughly two hours, and cuts the drive from La Romana to Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) to an estimated 40 minutes."

taken from Dominican Republic Has it all

ggparts

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I went from Bavaro to Santo Domingo in 1:20 minutes recently. Thanks to the new highway :).

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Wait a minute. Either this is a very old article or my time machine has gone wrong. President Leonel Fernandez? August 8th?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I think the better question is this: how does this affect the Expresso Bavaro run? If it's been several years, shouldn't the bus route adapt at some point? I took Expresso in November of 2012 and it took almost 4 hours to get from SD to Bavaro, whereas when I took the non-express, connecting buses through Higuey it took 2.5 hours from Bavaro to SD.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I think the better question is this: how does this affect the Expresso Bavaro run? If it's been several years, shouldn't the bus route adapt at some point? I took Expresso in November of 2012 and it took almost 4 hours to get from SD to Bavaro, whereas when I took the non-express, connecting buses through Higuey it took 2.5 hours from Bavaro to SD.

The Bavaro/SD Expresso is only timely from Bavaro to SD. The reverse trip turns into PUJ then comes back and turns into Veron where it stops wherever passengers ask to be left off, before it then comes into Bavaro. Been there, done that. The other time waster is when you don't know this, and decide to wait for the Expresso in SD as many other Higuey buses leave before your eyes and before the darned Bavaro Expresso arrives. In short, the only good reason to take the Bavaro Express from SD is if you're going to PUJ. Be warned.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I went from Bavaro to Santo Domingo in 1:20 minutes recently. Thanks to the new highway :).
In four minutes. LOL

[video=youtube;cX--2R9Vx14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX--2R9Vx14[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Very good.. Now we only need a road from Las Americas to Dr1 without going through SD..
You are going to love this!

[video=youtube;xhwJ0YJbtWo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhwJ0YJbtWo[/video]

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
IMO the current pace of development in the DR is staggering, something akin to that in NALS' Gallera Youtube. Some observers see it at a pace closer to his second Youtube. It's all about perspective and objectivity.