Certificate of Good Conduct -- How do I get one?

D

DKStuntz

Attention: Expats from the USA:

I live in the USA, and am working on obtaining my Certificate of Good Conduct, because I know that I need to get one before I apply for my temporary residency permit (resdidencia). I called my local police dept, to inquire, and was told that they could give one only for the local area. I figured that the DR Consulate wants a federal-level Certificate of Good Conduct.

On another site (about expats living in the DR), I was given a link to the Department of State (however it appears that links are not allowed in this forum, because my first attempt, to post here, was denied; thus I needed to remove the link). I tried getting info from that their website, but didn't get anywhere. After perhaps nearly an hour, I just got lost and on a "Wild goose chase". After calling a phone number that seemed the most relevant, all I got was a dead-end recording, and it was unclear to me as to whether I was on the right track.

To get a better idea of what approach to take, I'd like to know:

How did you (Expats from the USA) get your certificate of Good conduct? Did you start with your local Police Dept.? Your State Police Dept.? The FBI? The Department of State? Did you need to go to the office in person?

Please let me know where and how you obtained your Certificate of Good Conduct, as it will be very helpful for me. Thanks.

Dan.

May 29, 2006
My experience has been you get the local one, which is suppose to check that you don't have any bench warrants out on you. Not sure if you need it translated..

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The "certificate of good conduct" for US citizens is a State Police Criminal Record Report. Your local state police should have a form on a website to get this done.

D

DKStuntz

The "certificate of good conduct" for US citizens is a State Police Criminal Record Report. Your local state police should have a form on a website to get this done.

Is that how you got yours?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I got mine from the Washington, DC police department since DC was the last place I lived in the US before moving to the DR. Since DC isn't a state I'm not sure if the local jurisdiction will suffice or if you have to go to the State Police and get a report.

sweetP

Sep 3, 2013
It's simple, just go to your local police department headquarters for one. and take your passport as identification. After receiving it, to cover all bases, go to the Dominican Embassy in your city, and have the certificate of good conduct certified as a true original, (their official stamp of approval). Done!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Looks like there has been another one of those surprise policy changes that no one knows about.

I had to submit two checks. The first from the local police force just identified me, my address and that I had no convictions on record. That appeased my lawyer but did not make it past immigration.

They are now requesting a record check that includes your finger prints. It is my understanding that a great many of these are being forwarded to Interpol for further scrutiny. I read somewhere that Interpol is not pleased with the sudden influx of documents from the DR.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013

I live in the USA, and am working on obtaining my Certificate of Good Conduct, because I know that I need to get one before I apply for my temporary residency permit (resdidencia). I called my local police dept, to inquire, and was told that they could give one only for the local area. I figured that the DR Consulate wants a federal-level Certificate of Good Conduct.

On another site (about expats living in the DR), I was given a link to the Department of State (however it appears that links are not allowed in this forum, because my first attempt, to post here, was denied; thus I needed to remove the link). I tried getting info from that their website, but didn't get anywhere. After perhaps nearly an hour, I just got lost and on a "Wild goose chase". After calling a phone number that seemed the most relevant, all I got was a dead-end recording, and it was unclear to me as to whether I was on the right track.

How did you (Expats from the USA) get your certificate of Good conduct? Did you start with your local Police Dept.? Your State Police Dept.? The FBI? The Department of State? Did you need to go to the office in person?

Please let me know where and how you obtained your Certificate of Good Conduct, as it will be very helpful for me. Thanks.

Dan.
I believe you need to get it Apostille, just as you need for birth certificates and marriage certificates (if applicable). I went to the local clerk of the court in my US city and paid a small fee ($5.00?) then mailed it to the State Capital's Apostille Department along with whatever fee they charge. They mailed it back within a week.

You will also need to obtain a local Good Conduct Letter in the DR. In Santo Domingo you go to the Procuraduria on Maximo Gomez across the street from the Marriott Courtyard after obtaining the required stamps at Banco Reserva. There are guys that hang out in front who can walk you through the process for a fee if you require assistance. FYI - That document takes a few days to obtain unless you show an airline ticket stating you are leaving the country that evening or next morning.

FYI - at Immigration pay the VIP fee if you can (a few thousand pesos) as it will save you hours. Good luck!

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I just went to the small town of Alvin Tx police department and requested a letter of good conduct, gave them my TDL, sat down
waited maybe 15 minutes and there it was in my hands. Later turned that into migration, no nothing more done to the document.

Have had residency here now 14 years.....last one counting

g'luck

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Dan.

You need to go to the State Police for this document. You also need to get finger prints done. The State normally contracts with an outside company who must likely will do this digitally. Finger prints are the key to getting the report. Don't forget this certificate also must be apostilized by the state.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Looks like there has been another one of those surprise policy changes that no one knows about.

I had to submit two checks. The first from the local police force just identified me, my address and that I had no convictions on record. That appeased my lawyer but did not make it past immigration.

They are now requesting a record check that includes your finger prints. It is my understanding that a great many of these are being forwarded to Interpol for further scrutiny. I read somewhere that Interpol is not pleased with the sudden influx of documents from the DR.

If you are Canadian you need an RCMP criminal record check with fingerprinting. This is easy if you are in any of the major cities like Toronto, usually takes about a week for results. This is not new. I was required to get this in 2011.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Initially when I asked I was told that a local police check would suffice. Perhaps the advice giver assumed that such would include finger prints and it did not. I then had to get one from the RCMP that did. No big deal just another expense and a very short wait. It's all good now. I never bothered to clarify if my difficulty was a result of miscommunication or a change in requirements.