Santiago = "Mini" SD and Nothing More?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)

I'm a city person -- eighth time in Santo Domingo. (Probably explains why I've never been to Boca Chica, Punta Cana, Puerta Plata and all the "hotspots.")

Yet when I read my trusty Lonely Planet about the Republic's second largest city, Santiago, the authors leave me with the impression of "Meh!"

Is there more to Santiago than just a "mini-S.D."?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

I'm a city person -- eighth time in Santo Domingo. (Probably explains why I've never been to Boca Chica, Punta Cana, Puerta Plata and all the "hotspots.")

Yet when I read my trusty Lonely Planet about the Republic's second largest city, Santiago, the authors leave me with the impression of "Meh!"

why not just go there and find out for yourself?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Much more civilized. Travel,safety and a sense of community are much better. I know some people wont want to hear this, but the chicas are the hottest sexiest babes on the island

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I agree, Santiago home to the hottest dr babes.....
Go Cibao!!!

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
I Agree with Harley in regards to vacation time in Santiago, but in regards to quality of life (for extended stay or living) Santiago has everything you need and a vibe that's hard to explain. If you just "pass thru", you will never see Santiago's charm.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Much more civilized. Travel,safety and a sense of community are much better. I know some people wont want to hear this, but the chicas are the hottest sexiest babes on the island

BUT, they are all working in the "Tourist Areas", NOT Santiago!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

They left plenty of beauties behind.................
They are still on every street...........everywhere.............
Beautiful eye candy........

B in Santiago

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Unfortunately never spent time in Santiago. My wife always says that the most beautiful DR women are from el Cibao.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago

Yes, just as you said. Don't come here to SD.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Santiago has nothing to offer, stay in the capital. Just more meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, ...

Lets keep the truth our secret boys.

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
They are not at all alike, Cap and Santiago. Expats (I say expats as the story from natives is very different) from Santiago seem far more content, generally more pleasant and community minded than us miserable bastards from the big smoke. Yeh, I do believe opinion is most of the hottest girls are coming from Santiago, but that is a matter of opinion, none of them work in Santiago and so it is a difficult one to figure, but the pale faces are more often from there, for sure. I personally prefer my chocolate slightly darker and so I head to campo to find my hotties, f-ck blonde extentions, pale faces, banana fingers and glass platform slippers for a laugh..............no I literally pi$$ myself laughing!!

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Quote from pauleast:

Travel,safety and a sense of community are much better.

@pauleast --

OP: Now this sounds like a good reason to visit. From the top of my head, I would say that Caribe Tours would be the best means of ground transportation?

Can you give me a name of a sector or principal street I should investigate as opposed to just wandering around and looking?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Calling Santiago a "mini-SD" is like calling Philadelphia a "mini NYC". They are nothing alike whatsoever, IMO. Apart from a few high-end condo towers, there are no tall buildings in Santiago, In the city itself there are only a few hundred thousand people (up to a million more in the surrounding areas), vs. several million in SD. There's no real commercial/corporate center or tourist areas, very little cultural offerings in the form of museums, concert halls, etc. To me, it's more like a large town vs. a small city.

None of that is meant to make Santiago less desirable, to me it's a much nicer place to spend time in than SD...apart from the Colonial Zone, Palacio de Bellas Artes, and some of the great restaurants in the Capital...