Discrimination at Sambil?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
View attachment 1590 Sambil Parking.jpg

Sambil Mall in SAnto Domingo on its first floor parking (blue area) has set aside several parking slots right near the door labelling them exclusively for women.

Appreciated them when driving recently there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's a new one for me, I like it! :)

I've seen the ones for pregnant women in DR too, very few stores have them in the US.

Which brings another question Dolores - does the DR issue handicapped parking cards? I see the special spots, so I wondered. The few cards I've seen hanging from rearview mirrors came from US states.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Have never seen handicapped cards. Several parking areas will set aside handicapped parking. But these are not respected when the parking is full. In some parking places, there will be an employee making sure the parking is used as signage indicates.

Hadn't posted a photo in some time now… Alter Ego… please refresh how to do so to get it right. Thanks!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Have never seen handicapped cards. Several parking areas will set aside handicapped parking. But these are not respected when the parking is full. In some parking places, there will be an employee making sure the parking is used as signage indicates.

Hadn't posted a photo in some time now… Alter Ego… please refresh how to do so to get it right. Thanks!

Yes, after my hip surgery I became a lot more aware of handicapped parking in DR. Jumbo Luperon has the spots chained off, as does La Sirena in San Cristobal.

To post a photo, click on the photo icon in the tool bar above the reply box - 3rd in from right side. If they're from a website or a photo sharing site like Photobucket, they come out larger. When I post images from my computer, they appear small, as yours does, a thumbnail. If you click on it, it enlarges.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
At Pola (La Sirena) in Santiago, everyone parks in those spots, non-pregnant males, non-handicap males, young men, etc. (Of course, I'm assuming the males are not pregnant) In other words, the signs are completely ignored by the Dominicans.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The ones at Sambil say just Exclusively for Women -- see photo above. Signs for pregnant women usually specify this.

As a woman, I like this discrimination ^_^

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012

Hadn't posted a photo in some time now? Alter Ego? please refresh how to do so to get it right. Thanks!

I dont know How many times it happened that this "employee" wants to give me those reserved spot for a propina!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In Panama they have parking and bank lines etc for women over 50 and men over 60 and pregnant women and invalidos. Maybe we should promote that here in the DR.

In banks in DR that's common practice. Honestly I get irritated when I am in a long line in the bank at peak hour and of the 2 cashiers one is only helping all the old bats that seem to only be able to go to the bank at lunch time (like if they have so much to do the rest of the day). I also suspect some people to bring their greatgrandmother to do their banking business and others fake being over 60.

But I stay quiet and suffer.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In Panama they have parking and bank lines etc for women over 50 and men over 60 and pregnant women and invalidos. Maybe we should promote that here in the DR.

Very common in DR! At the BHD branch we use most often, they actually have a separate line for seniors and disabled, they go in front of everyone else.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
What exactly is the point of having woman only parking spots? Safety? Because they often have kids with them? Can't walk too far with high heels? Seems odd to me!

In geneva, they have places called "Single Ladies only after 1800" in underground parking. Clearly for security. Places are nearest the lifts/exits.
I can imagine the same applies in the dr.
Actually a good idea for sense of security for ladies travelling alone ( single is probably not the right word:classic: ).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

I've seen several places recently that have cones in handicapped spaces, and a guard has to remove them to park.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
What exactly is the point of having woman only parking spots? Safety? Because they often have kids with them? Can't walk too far with high heels? Seems odd to me!

Women and parking, we men all know where that can lead to, SCRATCHES and DENTS!! ;)
Probably these are locations where there are fewer pillars etc so it's easier for the women to park and get out of. :bunny:

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010

If the spots are closer to the doors I can see the reason being a safety one. In Brasil there are subway cars just for women, because during rush hours men were groping and grinding on women.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

Oh Harley, this is an easy one. Yes. Yes. Yes. And women yield enormous influence over domestic expenditures. The mall's best customers.