American cuts service to the DR

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
All destinations other than Las Americas now only have one flight leaving at 12:20 PM from MIA. Two flights were cut from Santo Domingo as well. It appears as though La Romana has lost service entirely except during the winter.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
Source? When is this supposed to go in effect? I haven't been notified by American and I have flight booked now.

jeff76

Dec 30, 2012
Direct flights from YUL (Montreal) to POP are being cut also. Air Canada used to have direct flights from YUL to POP every Saturday. Now their Saturday flight is going to PUJ. So only weekend direct flight to POP is with Air Transat which is a horrible flight. The seats are extremely tight and prices are very high as they try and sell hotel / flight packages. So my only options are that Air Transat flight, connecting into Toronto which gives a 5.5 hour layover and that much time sitting in an airport lounge stocked with booze is very dangerous. Connecting in EWR with United which is a decent flight with a short layover. Or flying into MIA. It's disappointing to hear that my options are being reduced with American cutting some of their service. I could fly to JFK but times don't line up with the YUL to JFK as it would arrive to late to get the flight to POP or I would have to stay in a hotel for the night before and also on the way home. I wanted to head to Cabarete a few times this summer but lack of flights made it impossible. Thank God there are flights in December and they are already booked.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
AA Changed the STI-MIA schedule on Monday 8/18. From two filghts a day to one. And trainman is right about the time, give or take a few minutes it's the same arrival and departure times as POP-STI.

jeff76

Dec 30, 2012
The flight thru YYZ means I fly out at 6:30 am from YUL. Land 1 hour later and then wait 5.5 hours at YYZ for the flight from YYZ to POP and land at 6:30 pm It makes for a very long day. I may have to do that one day though but that takes away from my afternoon drinking shift at Jose's, lol.

jeff
I see many YUL'ers on WestJet..... to POP or AZS.... thru YYZ

you might want to check that out

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The flight thru YYZ means I fly out at 6:30 am from YUL. Land 1 hour later and then wait 5.5 hours at YYZ for the flight from YYZ to POP and land at 6:30 pm It makes for a very long day. I may have to do that one day though but that takes away from my afternoon drinking shift at Jose's, lol.

you're doing something wrong.... 6:45 - 8:05 in YYZ....lv YYZ @ 9:05 arr POP 1:05

https://booking.westjet.com/InternetBooking/AirFareFamiliesFlexibleForward.do

$700 for Oct 4 - 11

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I feel so lucky, I have 3 direct flights ( 3 different Airlines) to choose from 4 to 5 times a week from YYZ to PUJ.. 4 hours and 20 minute flights.. As long as PUJ continues to be a top vacation destination for us, it should be like this for the next several years.. Of course you never know what's going to happen.. I prefer WestJet, but when Air Canada starts their January 6:15 am flight and arrives PUJ around 11am, thats my baby..

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
they been saying that for a while,i thought it was supposed to stop the flights to d.r in april...

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
All destinations other than Las Americas now only have one flight leaving at 12:20 PM from MIA. Two flights were cut from Santo Domingo as well. It appears as though La Romana has lost service entirely except during the winter.

Not true

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I feel so lucky, I have 3 direct flights ( 3 different Airlines) to choose from 4 to 5 times a week from YYZ to PUJ.. 4 hours and 20 minute flights.. As long as PUJ continues to be a top vacation destination for us, it should be like this for the next several years.. Of course you never know what's going to happen.. I prefer WestJet, but when Air Canada starts their January 6:15 am flight and arrives PUJ around 11am, thats my baby..

Westjet also has seasonals from La Romana starting Nov and finishing in April. I Will be totally happy when some Canadian Airline come back to SDQ, at least 1 weekly, is closer to me than PUJ.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
"Jet Blue" is kicking their "Sorry A$$",....GOOD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jet Blue were great when they first came out. I haven't flown Jet Blue in maybe 10 years so have no idea if they improved again. They touted frequent flyer miles that never expired when they first started. I flew them JFK to SDQ a lot. I had two trips saved up and then when I was unemployed decided it would be a good time to use them. Logged into my account and had zero free flights. Called them up and they said they changed the rules. Miles expire now, unless you had a Jet Blue credit card. Never flew them again and have been exec platinum on AA for about 10 years.

Also at JFK it was a fiasco. They had scales to weigh luggage and no organized line. Just any person that walked up and yelled the most. We know that Dominicans can't form an orderly line, so when the airline didn't have orderly lines it was a mess. I don't miss them at all.

May 29, 2006
Worst flight exp I ever had was AA from Hartford to and from POP. Redirected to Santiago on the way there(after a 45 minute delay on the tarmac) so I got to Sosua after 11PM instead of 4PM. I was diverted to Miami on the way back so I ended up in Boston at noon the next day instead of Hartford at 7PM the day before. They also lost my bags on the way there...

Good riddance..

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Flight times change in December. That 9:05 flight leaves at 1:35. Sorry 4 hour 10 minute layover, lol.

I was just looking at December for westjet. No change in time for the Tuesday flights. Well, it 9:45am now out of Toronto.