The Cove

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife went yesterday with a group of students of the school she works at to The Cove, a documentary about the abusive way of delphin hunting and killing in Japan. Ric O'Barry who stars in the documentary was present in person to answer questions of the students afterwards. Moral of the documentary: Don't go to places like Ocean World if you want to do something for these animals not to be hunted and killed (those that are not chosen by the water parks are killed to be sold as seafood).

Anyway, this event was organized by Funglode and schools (public and private) were invited to go and watch (free of charge) the documentary and meet the actor/activist in person and ask him questions.

(just trying to write something positive about Funglode, below this line comments bashing Funglode and Leonel Fernandez.....)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are thousands of dolphins throughout the world that are not hunted for food, in Canadian waters, at least, and I assume American waters.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The dolphins at Ocean World have zero to do with what happens at the Cove. No dolphins from Japan are at any dolphin facilities in the Dominican Republic or the US (there is one killer whale from Japan in the US). This fictional movie makes you think that SeaWorld takes dolphins from there, which they havn't done since the 70's.

The dolphin slaughter has been going on for 350 years and has nothing to do with aquariums, except that some Asian aquariums take a few dozen out of 2,000 out of the kill quota basically saving their lives.

Oh and by the way, the US and Canada does allow dolphin and whale hunting via subsistence permits in the Arctic (eskimos).

This movie posing as non-fiction is a mix of half truths and lies.

Japanese are horrified how we slaughter land animals, ever been inside a slaughterhouse? Do you eat beef?

The dolphins at Ocean World are reproducing (4 babies currently), get a careful diet of herring, smelt, mackerel, and capelin, get daily vitamins, blood tests, expert vets, basically better health care that you and me get. The lagoon they live in is 20 foot deep, covers several acres, and contains about 10 million gallons of freshly filtered sea water. In fact, Ocean World cleans Cofresi Bay by the overflow of clean water that comes out of its canal, as the natural water is actually polluted from sewerage run off.

Ric O'Barry is a snake oil salesman that makes money freeing Willy, because he couldn't make it as a dolphin trainer. He illegally released two Navy dolphins from a facility in the Florida Keys and the dolphins later died from malnutrition and boat propellers. Those are not the only dolphins he has killed. Ocean World does more for dolphins in a day, via creating awareness and education, than this charlatan will do in his lifetime.

Bottlenose dolphins are not endangered species, btw.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's just an Agenda Driven pseudo documentary, just like Al Gore's "An Unpleasant Truth", or whatever it was called!
Bet the guy got a nice "Honorarium" for coming!!!
Many "Conservationists" (TREE F*#KERS) make high six figure incomes defending "BAMBI" when "Bambi" doesn't need their help.

Stop trying to confuse them with facts, their minds don't process "FACTS"!

FACT, The Blue Whale population is larger than at any time in recorded history!!!!!!
They have been illegal to hunt for decades!
Yet they keep raising money to"Protect" them
I don't even like Zoos, but I dislike "Opportunists" even MORE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
regardless of how great ocean world is, i am sure all the animals there would feel better in the wild. not a fan of zoos of any kind.

as far as killing dolphins for food, it is no different than killing any other animals, providing it is not endangered.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
regardless of how great ocean world is, i am sure all the animals there would feel better in the wild...

Don't be so sure. In the wild its a daily struggle to find food and constant fear of predators. This is why we dont live in the woods, its easier to get food in a supermarket and at night the wolves don't eat us when we take a leak.

Back in 1989, Mr. O'Barry cut down 300 ft fence at our facility in The Bahamas, we went 3 days without one side of fence. All dolphins left, and all dolphins came back, except a calf that got separated from her mother. O'Barry's eco-terrorists also sank our boat and stole our net, so we asked on the radio to get the net back because the calf is basically shark bait out there alone. The only reply we got was 'its better off dead.' They would rather see the calf die so they can say they 'released' the animal in order to raise more money.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Don't be so sure. In the wild its a daily struggle to find food and constant fear of predators. This is why we dont live in the woods, its easier to get food in a supermarket and at night the wolves don't eat us when we take a leak.

Back in 1989, Mr. O'Barry cut down 300 ft fence at our facility in The Bahamas, we went 3 days without one side of fence. All dolphins left, and all dolphins came back, except a calf that got separated from her mother. O'Barry's eco-terrorists also sank our boat and stole our net, so we asked on the radio to get the net back because the calf is basically shark bait out there alone. The only reply we got was 'its better off dead.' They would rather see the calf die so they can say they 'released' the animal in order to raise more money.
ooooh....talking about an agenda....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

dolphins do not shop in supermarkets, usually? releasing to the wild is not an easy task. it is not enough to open the gate and kick the animal out. i'd just prefer for them never to be imprisoned in the first place. as a kid i felt sorry for cute animals dying in the wild but this is a simple natural selection.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If "FUNGLODE",
has ANYTHING to do with it, It's to make money, not improve the quality of LIFE!!!!!!
EXCEPT for "Leonel's Crowd" that is!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC