Altos de Chavon?

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Anyone know if you can stop and have lunch at one of the restaurants in Altos de Chavon or is the villiage completely locked down by Casa de Campo?

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Guess it depends on the day - I haven't had to pay to go to the shops and restaurants in Altos de Chavon.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Vistors to Altos de Chavon on any day pay US $25 to enter to visit the shops or enjoy the restaurants. It is a gated area within Casa del Campo. It may be possible to enter Casa del Campo and visit one of the restaurants there.

Regards,

PJT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was under the impression it was all visitors but someone recently told me it was just non-Dominicans who had to pay to enter AdC. Either way, if I were a business owner in AdC I would be very unhappy about it.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Chri, PJT is 50% of a gringo and Dominicana pair. Two years ago we both reluctantly paid $25 ea. to visit AdC. It was the last time we ventured there. The was no foot traffic, the place was dead. One of the shop owners mentioned that since Casa del Campo began the entrance fee business was really off. The only times business is good is when there is a concert scheduled at the amphitheater.

Makes you wonder what is the agenda of Casa del Campo officials for the site.

Regards,

PJT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the clarification, I was sceptical when I was told Dominicans did not have to pay.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the clarification, I was sceptical when I was told Dominicans did not have to pay.
but isn't it standard operating procedure, in most all inclusive resorts for example for Dominicans to pay a reduced rate? So if I heard they had a reduced rate or paid nothing at all to enter I wouldn't be surprised.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
but isn't it standard operating procedure, in most all inclusive resorts for example for Dominicans to pay a reduced rate? So if I heard they had a reduced rate or paid nothing at all to enter I wouldn't be surprised.

Altos de Chavon isn't a hotel. It's a tourist attraction/arts school.

Aug 6, 2006
Alto de Chavon La Romana - Republica Dominicana

According to this in 2012, the entrance fee to Altos de Chav?n was $5.00 (US) and the entrance fee to Casa de Campo is $25, that includes Altos de Chav?n. I have not been there recently, but it used to be free to see the village. It is a really beautiful little replica village. If visit La Romana I will not miss it. Casa de Campo is nice, but unless you play golf or have some other purpose to see a luxurious resort, Altos is far more picturesque than the rest of the place.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Thanks for all of the replies. $5 is worth it, $25 is not. Hope the're not so dead that the restaurants are closed for lunch.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Not Worth It

Thanks for all of the replies. $5 is worth it, $25 is not. Hope the're not so dead that the restaurants are closed for lunch.

When you arrive at the entrance gate from the main road, you are directed by the gate guards to drive, park, and enter the building off to the right to pay and obtain permission to enter Altos de Chavon. Do not be surpised by the $25 entrance charge.

A TripAdvisor review of July 5 of this year says the $25 pp entrance fee is not worth it.

Not worth the 25$ entrance fee per person! - Review of Altos de Chavon, La Romana, Dominican Republic - TripAdvisor

Regards,

PJT

Aug 6, 2006
I suppose it is possible that there once was a $5 admission fee to see only Altos de Chavon that is no longer in effect. If I were in La Romana, I would call first to find out if there is still a lower fee to see only the village.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Alto de Chavon La Romana - Republica Dominicana

According to this in 2012, the entrance fee to Altos de Chav?n was $5.00 (US) and the entrance fee to Casa de Campo is $25, that includes Altos de Chav?n. I have not been there recently, but it used to be free to see the village. It is a really beautiful little replica village. If visit La Romana I will not miss it. Casa de Campo is nice, but unless you play golf or have some other purpose to see a luxurious resort, Altos is far more picturesque than the rest of the place.

I have never paid to enter Casa de Campo. I don't know if it still works, but I'd made a lunch or dinner reservation in one of the restaurants in La Marina and would get in.

Or invited by the friend of the neighbor of the cousin of my brother in law's colleague who has a villa there also works.

Altos de Chavon isn't even worth USD5 though. Nothing to see there.

Aug 6, 2006
I thought Altos de Chavon was really interesting as an architectural reconstruction of a medieval Spanish village. There are some great places to shoot photos as well. Of course, it is a matter of taste. There are lots of photos of Altos de Chavon online so that those who want to see what it is can decide for themselves.

It is a lot more photogenic than the Faro a Colon, which is best photographed from the air.