Online banking international transfer?

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I would like to set up online transfers from my American account to my account in Banco Santa Cruz. Is this even possible? Had anyone done this?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wire transfers are possible. Each transfer with a charge at both the sending AND the receiving banks. Depositing a check and waiting for clearance, no charge.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Wire transfers are possible. Each transfer with a charge at both the sending AND the receiving banks. Depositing a check and waiting for clearance, no charge.
I know wire transfers are possible. I have done enough of them and I would like to know if there is another way. Like Online banking, has it progressed enough to be possible and avoid wire transfers?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Can I do Paypal / Banco popular transfers?

JJ

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Bank of America to Banco Popular, very easy online. Sending in dollars or pesos to dollar or euro account. Arrives literally in an instant. (Max half an hour, sometimes literally in minutes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bank of America to Banco Popular, very easy online. Sending in dollars or pesos to dollar or euro account. Arrives literally in an instant. (Max half an hour, sometimes literally in minutes.

Are you talking about a wire transfer with a fee at each end?

I know of no other way other than an International Wire Transfer.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Are you talking about a wire transfer with a fee at each end?

Yes, just as you said.

An wire transfer carried out by Internet banking. USD45 wireout + USD15 wirein + rd$300 for whoknowswhat.

Since BofA is charging 3% for cash withdrawals at Scotiabank ATMs since last year, this became cheaper, but I should look into the checks. No charge for depositing a check you're saying?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, just as you said.

An wire transfer carried out by Internet banking. USD45 wireout + USD15 wirein + rd$300 for whoknowswhat.

Since BofA is charging 3% for cash withdrawals at Scotiabank ATMs since last year, this became cheaper, but I should look into the checks. No charge for depositing a check you're saying?

No charge for depositing a USD check into a USD account in DR. We do it all the time. They say a week to clear, but I allow a month just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, just as you said.

Correct, no charge for a check. Just the time it takes to clear.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would like to set up online transfers from my American account to my account in Banco Santa Cruz. Is this even possible? Had anyone done this?

I would doubt this is possible. In the US I don't think you can transfer money on line from one bank to another without the bank being involved so moving money Internationally between banks is not possible. You can't transfer money as you would between your accounts in a US bank. It is probably cheaper to go to an ATM make a withdrawl from your US account, in the DR and then deposit the money in your DR account. What your asking I don't think is possible.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would doubt this is possible. In the US I don't think you can transfer money on line from one bank to another without the bank being involved so moving money Internationally between banks is not possible. You can't transfer money as you would between your accounts in a US bank. It is probably cheaper to go to an ATM make a withdrawl from your US account, in the DR and then deposit the money in your DR account. What your asking I don't think is possible.

Correct LTSteve. This comes up about every other month. The bottom line is that no DR bank (Banco Popular for which there is a similarly named bank in PR and Florida) is linked to any US (or Canadian -Scotia Bank, for example) or European or Chinese, etc.) bank so that you can just simply transfer money on line from one account to another. You have to use an International Wire Transfer and pay the fees on both ends. The last one I did took almost a week for the funds to become available, so keep that in mind as well. After 9/11 this has become more difficult, not easier.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I deposit US checks into either Banco Santa Cruz or Banco Leon clears my NY bank in 3 days; takes 30 business days to clear in the DR. I don't care, costs nothing but time.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I deposit US checks into either Banco Santa Cruz or Banco Leon clears my NY bank in 3 days; takes 30 business days to clear in the DR. I don't care, costs nothing but time.

BHD takes half that time to clear.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my last wire transfered in 2-3 days.... not bad

certainly, if you can plan well enough and are in thew country.... deposit a check.

I was out of country... so wired it

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Online? Please tell me how.
I've done it from ABNAMRO, but that was more than a year ago, and not an American bank.

But that was also a wire transfer then (carried out online). That's what I do monthly from Bank of America (to banco popular). So it can be done from an American bank.