Additional Comments on Prostitution Crack Down (no pun intended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The way I understand it is that yes prostitution is legal but pimps and houses of prostitution are not. Working girls who are on their own are ok. Those who are working for a heffe are in jeopardy, according to the law. The overall concern by the Dominican Police seems to be eliminating prostitution where it is organized and tied into people who may be involved in more, such as, robbery and shakedown of johns and also pimps who are profiting from these women and may be using force to insure this happens. There is a fine line here and many times it gets blurred and innocent people may be caught in the cross fire. It seems those coming to the DR to partake in legal prostitution are increasingly putting themselves in jeopardy, especially if you are in a major city. Buyer beware, and take care.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That is pretty much it, if you add the new condition that now the government is trying to reduce the image of prostitution in the DR as much as possible. As CB points out, there is big money pushing this new reduction and the government is on board.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
We are a long way from attracting the navy blazers and shorts set.This place is not going to be a Bermuda , St Barts or the Caymans.
I would hope that they spend as much time and energy filling the massive pot holes between every city and town I drive through.That however does not capture headlines as much as rounding up a lot of working chicas.
They would also attract more business entrepreneurs if the banking system came into this century.

Aug 6, 2006
The DR has too many people to be a banking haven for spurious tax dodging investors. Tiny countries, preferably English-speaking ones, like Bermuda, The Bahamas, the Caymans or Sark are ideal. And there is no real need for any more such places.

I agree that Dominican banks could be better, but the RD does not have the advantages of the usual tiny countries that serve as tax havens.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
The way I understand it is that yes prostitution is legal but pimps and houses of prostitution are not. Working girls who are on their own are ok. Those who are working for a heffe are in jeopardy, according to the law. The overall concern by the Dominican Police seems to be eliminating prostitution where it is organized and tied into people who may be involved in more, such as, robbery and shakedown of johns and also pimps who are profiting from these women and may be using force to insure this happens. There is a fine line here and many times it gets blurred and innocent people may be caught in the cross fire. It seems those coming to the DR to partake in legal prostitution are increasingly putting themselves in jeopardy, especially if you are in a major city. Buyer beware, and take care.

I love prostitutes, I honestly don't think I could live without them......

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As CB points out, there is big money pushing this new reduction and the government is on board.

I think this needs to be clarified since some people will interpret this to mean bribes. But I don't think that is the case. I believe in this instance the big money is "investments", not paying off corrupted officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.