New Member visiting for 2 weeks early December Riu Palace Macao

RFG

Oct 13, 2014
Hello, My wife of 44 years and I will be visiting for a couple of weeks in early December and this is our first trip to the D.R. other than Cruize ship stops. We are not new to traveling and have visited and stayed at several Islands in the Caribbean over the years but most recently have been spending our winter vacation time on the West Coast of Mexico. After reading many reviews and posts on the Riu Macoa I have leaned that it may be hard to find some nice dry red wines there...., so my major concern is, are there any retail places where I can find good selections of French, Italian, South African, Chilean and Austrailian wines and are the prices similar to what I would find in the USA or should I bring a couple of Black Boxes with me? Also is there anything close to where we will be staying and whats the best transportation methods. Thanks in advance to any assistance.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is a large selection of Chilean,& Spanish, as well as the others you mentioned, with the exception of Australian & S. African, wines available here in the DR.
Large Super Markets offer good prices.
Criss
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you will be staying at the Macao Riu, the Iberia at Plaza Tres Center will most probably be the closest supermarket for you.
Consider renting a car to get around one or two days. Or if you have time to kill, take public transportation. Taxis are expensive.

RFG

Oct 13, 2014
Thanks Everyone for the quick response, One more question is there such a thing as a Lavenderia (Laundry service) near the Rius, where you can drop off your dirty laundry in the AM and pick it up in the PM. Found this was very inexpensive as compared to the Hotel rates, again Thanks in advance

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello, My wife of 44 years and I will be visiting for a couple of weeks in early December and this is our first trip to the D.R. other than Cruize ship stops. We are not new to traveling and have visited and stayed at several Islands in the Caribbean over the years but most recently have been spending our winter vacation time on the West Coast of Mexico. After reading many reviews and posts on the Riu Macoa I have leaned that it may be hard to find some nice dry red wines there...., so my major concern is, are there any retail places where I can find good selections of French, Italian, South African, Chilean and Austrailian wines and are the prices similar to what I would find in the USA or should I bring a couple of Black Boxes with me? Also is there anything close to where we will be staying and whats the best transportation methods. Thanks in advance to any assistance.

I would consider, if possible, to bring it with you. It is a lot more expensive in the DR. From the resort you would need to walk out of the gate to pick up a local bus. If this is possible you could also go to a local market to check out the selection.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Just like any other country, the DR has limits on the amount of alcohol you can import duty free. Just like every other country you have to fill out a declaration card on the plane. If you are not truthful on your declaration card you do so at your own peril. If you are truthful and end up paying duty, then it's probably cheaper to buy your wine here.

As always, any advice sought on a public forum can be wrong or misleading. Any such advice that consuls you to break the law or be deceitful should be viewed with suspicion.

If you want just the facts, contact the Embassy or Consulate for the Dominican Republic closest to where you live and ask them how much alcohol you can bring with you. We all know that it won't be a couple of crates more like a couple of bottles.