8 days in November

gas

Jul 28, 2013
So, this is my third post asking for advice. SORRY! I'm so wishy washy. Sorry for bothering the board so many times. Anyway, here's my situation.

The main purpose of my trip is to see my friend in SD and combine seeing her with a trip outside SD. She is a lady friend who I have a romantic relationship. I've been to the DR a number of times, but not very many places. But first, a little background info... I'm 62, not in the best physical shape but am up for and capable of rafting and other activities, can only take lying on the beach for about one hour max, budget for hotels is about $100/day. I am not renting a car and will be using public transportation, be it a bus or private car. Originally, I was set on going to Jarabacoa, but I then I thought I'd get bored after a few days. That's pretty much it.

So, I've gone back and forth and forth and back between Jarabacoa, the Samana peninsula and Barahona. I can see visiting a few places but I don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time traveling. Each of these areas seems to have pluses and minuses. Or maybe there's an area I'm not considering.

So, taking all this minutiae into account, can someone make a recommendation? Thanks, and again my apologies for all the posts.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
have you looked at a map?

your 3 spots are quite apart... and hard to travel to.

Jarabacoa is close to Santiago (1M people).... your friend will be able to get you around there linguistically.

Samana is scenic, beaches type scenic for the most part

they tell me Baharona is nice but isolated

Let the others chime in......

try Rio san juan, cabrera and Samana... that'll keep you moving and is easily navigated by public transportation

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I think you misunderstood. I know where each spot is and have no intention of going to all of 'em, at least in one trip. It was basically, which one of the three. Jaracaboa interests me the most but where do I go after 2 or 3 days that's within a reasonable distance? That's the kind of question I was posing. Sorry if I didn't clarify that.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
How are we supposed to know what you want to do or where you want to do it? Look at a map. Santiago is 2 hours from Puerto Plata in the north and 2 hours from Santo Domingo in the south. This is a big island with no air transport. Going anywhere involves driving yourself or hopping on a bus. The Samana area is 4 hours from SD. To get there from the Santiago area add a couple of hours riding and a couple of hours standing around and transferring between bus companies. If you want to travel around, a lot of your time is going to be eaten up doing just that...travelling. Wherever you go, you need to travel back to SD when it's time to go home. If you go to Samana, you'll spend the better part of two days going and coming back.

Maybe save Samana for another trip and concentrate on either the south coast or the interior. The further away from SD you venture the more time you'll devote to getting there and back. You decide how much time you want to spend on the bus. Once you know that, use google to find activities to do in the area that you will be in. Or do the reverse, figure out what you want to do and then figure out how long it will take to get there to do that.

Your questions are asking other people to make a value judgement on your behalf and we don't know you. This is why you are not getting the answers you are looking for. You're asking the impossible. You should spend some time reading a travel site dedicated to the DR and put together your own trip rather than asking others to do it for you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think you misunderstood. I know where each spot is and have no intention of going to all of 'em, at least in one trip. It was basically, which one of the three. Jaracaboa interests me the most but where do I go after 2 or 3 days that's within a reasonable distance? That's the kind of question I was posing. Sorry if I didn't clarify that.

Understood now

all the more reason to look at my suggestion
Rio San Juan - Cabrera - Samana...

easy to do 2-3 days in each...maybe more in Samana -- LT, Samana proper and las Galeras

these are affordable, not too touristy and pretty parts of the country
The New World's oldest lighthouse is there

You can boat from RSJ... sightseeing or fishing....

easy transportation between the towns

los Gringos for a meal....o/s RSJ
la Catalina in Cabrera for a nice place to stay (just over $100/night)

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Jeez, I explained myself well, at least in the clarification. I have no desire to argue with you or anyone. What is there not to understand? I listed my desires, what I'm interested in, my budget, my mode of transportation and asked for a recommendation. If you reread what I said, it will be clear.

To rephrase.. Jarabacoa interests me the most. But I can only see it being a 2 or 3 day stay. What else is nearby that would be of interest?

And I am open to other ideas given my circumstances and likes. Hopefully, that is clear.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Seeing that you will be with a local lady friend during your trip you might rethink renting a car. Driving from SD to Jarabocao isnt that bad and from Jarabacoa to Samana is easily done if you drive via Santiago-Puerto Plata etc. Perhaps stay at Sosua-Cabarnete. Its one road.. From Samana to SD is one new fast road.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Just kidding gas !

There are several posters from Jaracoaba, they should be able to help you find an area not too far to keep you interest for another couple of days.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Yeah, I'd like to visit Santiago, but maybe some other time or when I'm passing near it.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Understood now

all the more reason to look at my suggestion
Rio San Juan - Cabrera - Samana...

easy to do 2-3 days in each...maybe more in Samana -- LT, Samana proper and las Galeras

these are affordable, not too touristy and pretty parts of the country
The New World's oldest lighthouse is there

You can boat from RSJ... sightseeing or fishing....

easy transportation between the towns

los Gringos for a meal....o/s RSJ
la Catalina in Cabrera for a nice place to stay (just over $100/night)

Is there enough to see in cabrera to hold our interest for 2 days?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
But you will be with a lady friend whom you have a relationship with. Can't she hold your interest for 8 days in one or two places ? :bandit:

Also, keep in mind, your lady may not be interest in going from places to places every 2-3 days since she is a local (especially using public transportation !).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From Jarabacoa, go around Santiago and take the Moca road over the mountain..... breathtakingly pretty

That deposits you a Sabaneta.... turn right and you're in RSJ in less than an hour

Total trip ?? maybe 3hrs... by car

Publico.... much longer...

once out of SD, the driving is better, as said earlier

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm so wishy washy, haha. But I mostly decided on an itinerary.

I made reservations at Villa Celeste Estates - Villa Celeste Estate Boutique Hotel Ecotourism Jarabacoa Dominican Rep. I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but maybe there's a reason. It got great reviews in tripadvisor and was the only 5 star hotel in Jarabacoa, not that 5 stars in tripadvisor means all that much. It's also priced at my budget limit, $100/night with taxes. Does anyone know anything about this place? I have until tomorrow to cancel without penalty.

As for another place to go, I'm leaning on spending my entire time in Jarabacoa. As was mentioned here, there are day trips that we can do once we get bored. However, my biggest concern about this is getting around. I decided I am definitely not renting a car; I've heard too many horror stories. Does anyone know of a driver in the area who might be willing to take us places an hour or so away?

On another note, I understand there is a show running in Santo Domingo, "In Washington Heights." I'll only be in SD for one night when I arrive, 11/15. Does anyone know anything about this show, like, is it worth seeing, is it still playing on 11/15 and how to get tickets?

Thanks much.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm so wishy washy, haha. But I mostly decided on an itinerary.

I made reservations at Villa Celeste Estates - Villa Celeste Estate Boutique Hotel Ecotourism Jarabacoa Dominican Rep. I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but maybe there's a reason. It got great reviews in tripadvisor and was the only 5 star hotel in Jarabacoa, not that 5 stars in tripadvisor means all that much. It's also priced at my budget limit, $100/night with taxes. Does anyone know anything about this place? I have until tomorrow to cancel without penalty.

As for another place to go, I'm leaning on spending my entire time in Jarabacoa. As was mentioned here, there are day trips that we can do once we get bored. However, my biggest concern about this is getting around. I decided I am definitely not renting a car; I've heard too many horror stories. Does anyone know of a driver in the area who might be willing to take us places an hour or so away?

On another note, I understand there is a show running in Santo Domingo, "In Washington Heights." I'll only be in SD for one night when I arrive, 11/15. Does anyone know anything about this show, like, is it worth seeing, is it still playing on 11/15 and how to get tickets?

Thanks much.

http://dr1.com/forums/santo-domingo/146529-heights.html

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is plenty to see and do in Jarabacoa to keep you busy. I would recommend renting a car, but you could also hire a driver, as you suggest, to take you around.

Check out:

Salto de Jimenoa
From the town, it’s only a 20-minute drive to this waterfall and hydroelectric dam, but this side trip will take a couple of hours. Adults will enjoy the amazing mountain views, and children will thrill at crossing the three swinging hanging bridges to get to the waterfall and views of the powerful Yaque del Norte River.

River rafting & tubing
Adrenaline flows when tourists on well-organized river rafting excursions plow down the level-2 rapids of the Yaque del Norte River in Jarabacoa. These waters are cool all year round and tourists (minimum age is 14) need to wear the wetsuits and helmets that are provided. Reservations should be made at least one day in advance. Local operators also provide oversized inner tubes for “tubing”. This less daring excursion takes tourists to ride the tamer waters of the river.

Coffee plantations
Take the Caf? de Monte Alto tour or visit acclaimed writer Julia Alvarez’s sustainable coffee plantation (Caf? Altagracia) in Los Dajaos in the Jarabacoa mountains. Partake in a coffee tasting and learn what makes really good coffee.

Butterflies of Jarabacoa
Rancho Baiguate provides a challenge for photographers at its Mariposario, or butterfly house. Take home the shapes, designs and colors of these tropical butterflies in your digital photos.

And one of my personal favourites… the Catedral de Bambu, up the mountain from Manabao. This is not a real church, just a natural formation of very tall bamboo trees that create a cathedral-like area on a low mountain.
If you are in Jarabacoa on a Sunday, also be part of the Sunday 9am mass at the Cistercian Monastery, where the priests sing Gregorian chants.