Visiting the north coast

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Hi everybody. Huge fan of this site it truly is a wealth of information and I always get a good laugh reading all the posts daily.

My wife and I will be visiting the North Coast for a week next month. We are a young couple young 30's and 20's. We will be using Casa marina as a base just because it was so cheap. We really would like to get out of the hotel and see what the North Coast has to offer. I have been to the Dr many times and no what to expect outside the
gates of my hotel.

Would love to hear any suggestions of what things there are to do and see in the area. Will have a driver for one day and willing to explore on our own for other days.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks everyone.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Hi everybody. Huge fan of this site it truly is a wealth of information and I always get a good laugh reading all the posts daily.

My wife and I will be visiting the North Coast for a week next month. We are a young couple young 30's and 20's. We will be using Casa marina as a base just because it was so cheap. We really would like to get out of the hotel and see what the North Coast has to offer. I have been to the Dr many times and no what to expect outside the
gates of my hotel.

Would love to hear any suggestions of what things there are to do and see in the area. Will have a driver for one day and willing to explore on our own for other days.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks everyone.

The Damajaqua Cascades are excellent, Ocean World Adventure Park is ok, and I like the Bravissimo show there. Mount Isabel del Torres is pretty cool, and Isabel de Torres trail is there if you guys are hikers. The Amber museum holds the largest collection of amber in the world, and the Museum of Taino Art is pretty cool too. Centro Ecuestre Ammann is there if you want to ride horses and check out Fort San Felipe if you run out of stuff to do.

Have fun, and I hope this helps

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
is the trolley working in puerta plata...great time half day up the mountain by cable car...

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
On the day with the driver go to the Damagua Cascades - in the morning than visit POP for some sightseeing later and have dinner there along the Malecon. Then back to the resort

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I would hope people would consider the life these animals have before promoting or visiting Ocean World or any park that abuses animal and/or their rights. This day and age we should know better, in fact we do know better, what we do or don't do about it is up to the individual.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
27 waterfalls/'Cascades' is great - just make sure when you visit it's not after a heavy storm or prolonged periods of rain.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
The museum for haitian art Mundo King in Sosua is unique in the world. Open the whole day, 300 peso. Motoconcho from Sosua50 peso one-way.
Afterwards you can take a beer in the Haitian Embassy in Hotel Central ;-)

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I would hope people would consider the life these animals have before promoting or visiting Ocean World or any park that abuses animal and/or their rights. This day and age we should know better, in fact we do know better, what we do or don't do about it is up to the individual.

Exactly what "abuses" have you actually witnessed there? I share your view regarding the sea mammals being in captivity, but highly doubt that they are abused there. The bird (parrots) show was very enjoyable. Well thought out and funny.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for the replies it is appreciated. I think the cable car, zip line and waterfalls look like a must!

One more question I am coming from Canada. Am I better to change to american here in Canada then change to the peso or am I better of just bringing Canadian and changing direct to the peso.

Every time I show Canadian money it is called cheapy cheapy so wondering if I will get a bad exchange.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Thanks for the replies it is appreciated. I think the cable car, zip line and waterfalls look like a must!

One more question I am coming from Canada. Am I better to change to american here in Canada then change to the peso or am I better of just bringing Canadian and changing direct to the peso.

Every time I show Canadian money it is called cheapy cheapy so wondering if I will get a bad exchange.

Bring some down as a liquid reserve but use the ATM

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
would change Canadian to u.s. in Canada as you will probably get a better rate. I don,t know why but Canadian currency seems to be looked down upon by the exchanges in the dr

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Get ready for a shock,- you are going to need more Can$ to get USA$'s in Canada! But I wouldnt bring Can$ down here. Also, have your bank get you some pesos to start you off till you find the best place to change your USA$. And you can get money from an ATM as another poster said,- pesos of course.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Thanks that is what I was thinking. I know way back even when the Canadian dollar was stronger than US dollar or even to the exchange on the Peso did not reflect that at all or even come close.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
would change Canadian to u.s. in Canada as you will probably get a better rate. I don,t know why but Canadian currency seems to be looked down upon by the exchanges in the dr

That is because the DR does not use Canadian dollars to buy very much, if anything. So there is little demand for loonies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Personnaly, I would use your Cdn card at the Scotia ATM...

just one conversion and a pretty fair one

Cdn to US to RD is a lot of exchange rates

go with one switch...
my 2 pesos === my Cdn 2 cents
Oooops , sorry, I forgot,,, Canada has no pennies....

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
The cambio outside of the resort you are at does not give the best rate. The one on Pedro Clisante next to the Jolly Roger (still under construction) usually gives me the best rate. Or as suggested you can use the atm at scotiabank.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Will I not lose like crazy using the ATM's? I am assuming they would have high fees on foreign cards.