heavy floods on the NC

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Very few touristas or most ex pats would not even know of the hardship that these people are going through. Firstly, the fear at 2 am when everything is dark as all street power out and water rising in their homes. Secondly, the realisation in the day following that they have lost many of their prize possessions and, those lucky enough to have certain appliances like fridge/ freezer, stove, washing machine all ruined and that is just for the locals. Today, they were still wading though muddy water and filth washed into their homes and the sad photos are here for all to see. Sad to say that my good friends, Britcouple on here were also subjected to fear and horrendous water through their house in Sabaneta destroying much of their household items, water half way up the windscreen of their Montero car - they were trapped and now have the awful job of cleaning up with no fresh or clean water and no power in their house for the forseeable future. The road to their house over the river bridge is still impassible for vehicles.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
This is a very sad but happens at every flood but people will not move to higher land they all want to build near the river and in low lying areas. I live in the countryside where a yearly thing is these floods and the people have to pile up their furniture to get it out of the water. When a house gets washed away they run down to build another.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In the 11 years I have been here this has happened at least 3 times there. Yes it is sad, but one should realize they are in the wrong location. They do not want to realize this.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
In the 11 years I have been here this has happened at least 3 times there. Yes it is sad, but one should realize they are in the wrong location. They do not want to realize this.

Well, before we condemn them for being stupid to live in the wrong place, there have been similar problems in my own country (the UK) with people building huge housing projects on flood plains and getting flooded.

Seems almost to be human nature...but i still feel for them

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
It is sad and one theme is common. Poor, uneducated people are not mobile. That is true here. I also observed it in eastern Ohio in general and when 26 people were killed by a rageing creek June 16 1990.

Most of us on DR1 are mobile and better educated than those who suffered the loss. It must be very difficult to have no control of ones destiny. :(

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
This is a very sad but happens at every flood but people will not move to higher land they all want to build near the river and in low lying areas. I live in the countryside where a yearly thing is these floods and the people have to pile up their furniture to get it out of the water. When a house gets washed away they run down to build another.

Well it is not as if they have many choices....... like, hey lets go and buy some land in the hills or at th2 seaside........
#1 often familys have lived there for years.....cant afford to lose family support cell.

#2 if they move into the unkn8wn, further uphill for example, it may be harder to get free luz and water. And if they are willing to 9ay they might not be available anyway.....

#3 I suppose th2y could just pack all their belongings in the non-existent porshe cayenne ( or call Avis and use a non-existent CC to charge a non-existent bank account full of non-existent pesos or $, and rent a truck ) and leave for some other place to buy or rent a new house using that non-existent CC fueled by their non-existent jobs........

If ure dead poor and have the chance of owning ( legally or not ), I can understand u stick to it, whatever is thrown ure way........

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
DV8, Thanks for telling us about this . Here are a few statistics - between 6 pm on November 3rd and 8 am on November 5th over 10 inches of rain fell on the north Coast between Sosua and Cabarete. This is only a proportion of the "normal" rainfall for November which over six years has averaged over 17 inches in the month. It is the wettest month of the year! There are indications that beyond Puerto Plate it was even worse with one weather station recording over 14 inches of rain in a single night!

It is the rate of rainfall that causes the flash floods but the total amount ends up in the rivers and causes other floods. This time there was both !

Looks as if it is over for a while and much cooler temperatures too!

Olly and the Team

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well it is not as if they have many choices....... like, hey lets go and buy some land in the hills or at th2 seaside..........

it's not like they bought the land close to the river, you know. they can just as well steal a stretch of land higher up the hill. but thosefolks build close to the river because that's where they get water to cook and that's where they throw rubbish in.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
it's not like they bought the land close to the river, you know. they can just as well steal a stretch of land higher up the hill. but thosefolks build close to the river because that's where they get water to cook and that's where they throw rubbish in.

Very true.

Also, the wealthy land lords often let the "poor" build their houses on a thin strech of land on the road side. But often it is the parents or grand parents of said wealthy land owners who granted that right to the poor families........ Nowadays they tend to be of the (even more ) greedy sort........if u set up camp ( or house ) futher in the finca grounds, one is liable to ne shot or fed to the hounds....:nervous:

At least in my campo, we havent seen rain like the past 3 days in years.... I had never seen the rivers swell like that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you mean that the owners of the land are so greedy not to let people steal their land? oh my.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
No, it is not what I mean.

Fact is most of the land in the campo is owned by a select few. Lets not get into a disscussion about how people happened to come about their lands..........

Just one example. Recently got to know a cacao finca owner. He inherited 900 tarea ( so did his brother and a sister ) from his father, who inherited it from his father. It was given to the grand father by a certain head of state, to put it politely. The land included roads and rivers.......and 4 or 5 villages......... sort of sums it up......
Strangely the other 2 local land owners that are known to me, do not like to speak of how the lands came into their familys.........