Dune Buggies Excursion

My friend is coming with her 13 yr old son and he wants to go on a Dune Buggy Excursion. Can someone recommend a good one in POP, Sosua or Cab?

I went on one years ago but forget which tour or whatever it was. I could of course just go and ask at a tour place but I want recommendations from you peeps.

There are at least three of them in Munoz. This is across the highway from Playa Dorado. Turn where the Metro Gas sign is and right away on the right, even before Metro Gas is one, or follow the road on around and one klick further on the left is another. The third I am aware of is a bit harder to get to. The only evidence I have that these are good deals is to see the mud spattered folks grinning their gringo heads off!

I want to know specifically which one is the best. He is going on his B-day so I want to make sure he has an awesome time.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I want to know specifically which one is the best. He is going on his B-day so I want to make sure he has an awesome time.

The Outback Safari company has ATV's similar to Polaris or Bad Boy Buggies. Hands Down they are the Best company to go with 809-320-2525

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
There are at least three of them in Munoz. This is across the highway from Playa Dorado. Turn where the Metro Gas sign is and right away on the right, even before Metro Gas is one, or follow the road on around and one klick further on the left is another. The third I am aware of is a bit harder to get to. The only evidence I have that these are good deals is to see the mud spattered folks grinning their gringo heads off!

If you can find where these places are located I would just pick anyone of the three. I bet each of these places take the same trail. Using a company like Outback Safari is a waste of money if you have your own transportation. All Outback really does is provide the transpo from the hotels to one of the above three places.

I did the Outback thing many years ago. When we arrived at the dune buggy place there were several other people waiting who drove there in their own vehicles. We all got in a dune buggy and went out as a group with a tour guide. It was a blast, a really, really good time.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
If you can find where these places are located I would just pick anyone of the three. I bet each of these places take the same trail. Using a company like Outback Safari is a waste of money if you have your own transportation. All Outback really does is provide the transpo from the hotels to one of the above three places.

I did the Outback thing many years ago. When we arrived at the dune buggy place there were several other people waiting who drove there in their own vehicles. We all got in a dune buggy and went out as a group with a tour guide. It was a blast, a really, really good time.

Like I said in my first post Outback has it's own ATV's not the sh!t buggies like the rest, they are like Polaris or Bad boy buggies.

Well worth it !

Trust ME !

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I own an ATV and the kid wants to go on a Dune Buggy, so gotta do what he wants. Ty though for the info!

I give up ! obviously you've never heard of the company Bad boy Buggies or the New Polaris ATV's

google I would not call these types of ATV's " buggies "

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Harley : As oldschool stated above - Outback has new machines that are awesome - they are by far the best company for this ...tom

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Like I said in my first post Outback has it's own ATV's not the sh!t buggies like the rest, they are like Polaris or Bad boy buggies.

Well worth it !

Trust ME !
I took the time and googled Bad Boy Buggies, I believe I am correct but that is NOT the type of vehicle the OP is looking to rent. I believe he is looking for what I would call a dune buggy and several years ago Outback referred to them as Funny Buggies. These are the vehicles much lower to the ground, sort of like an oversized go kart with fat tires.

Correct me if I am wrong OP.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We have done this many times. Guests always want to try this. For a kid the dune buggy's are a lot of fun. You get really dirty, but that's what they want. I think most Co's use the same trails. Take sun glasses, so you don't get mud in your eyes. A baggy for your stuff so it doesn't get wet and some money, DR, so when they stop you can get something to drink. The operators are all the same, bad. But it's fun.

I took the time and googled Bad Boy Buggies, I believe I am correct but that is NOT the type of vehicle the OP is looking to rent. I believe he is looking for what I would call a dune buggy and several years ago Outback referred to them as Funny Buggies. These are the vehicles much lower to the ground, sort of like an oversized go kart with fat tires.

Correct me if I am wrong OP.

You are right bigbird, the kid WANTS dune buggies, if he doesn't INSIST on that we will go with the outback tour!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You are right bigbird, the kid WANTS dune buggies, if he doesn't INSIST on that we will go with the outback tour!
With the dune buggies they would probably permit a 13 year old to drive the vehicle and you ride as a passenger. Not too sure if they would permit that with the Outback Tour allowing a 13 year old to drive a Bad Boy buggie. Now you must admit the thrill for a 13 year old would be to do the driving, not ride as a passenger.

With the dune buggies they would probably permit a 13 year old to drive the vehicle and you ride as a passenger. Not too sure if they would permit that with the Outback Tour allowing a 13 year old to drive a Bad Boy buggie. Now you must admit the thrill for a 13 year old would be to do the driving, not ride as a passenger.

Yes I want him to be able to drive, I will give Outback a call and see if he can!

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
Hey.. If Harleys rock maybe he should try going through the bush and mud on a Harley. Oh sorry they aren't meant to get dirty. Victoriesrock. Maybe I should change my screen name.
Harleysrock I will sent you a private message with a suggestion.

My friend is coming with her 13 yr old son and he wants to go on a Dune Buggy Excursion. Can someone recommend a good one in POP, Sosua or Cab?

I went on one years ago but forget which tour or whatever it was. I could of course just go and ask at a tour place but I want recommendations from you peeps.

BillyGoatee

Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for the descriptive info. I screen-grabbed this page (in case I don't have data) and followed your directions exactly (turned off by Metro Gas and continued "one klick further"), and lemme tell you, it was a blast! We actually used the no-name place further from Outback.

The first question they asked us was, "Are you from the hotel or?...." Since we didn't come from the hotel the price was 30% less. The whole excursion is designed to maximize their profit at every turn (just like our very own amusement parks and zoos stateside).

Prices were quoted in dollars. He had to use a calculator to tell us the price in pesos!

Part of the excursion is to make stops along the way to extremely-overpriced fake establishments. A "bar" on the beach (a table and chair) that sold presidentes from a water cooler, a "restaurant" that sold us 7 ounce juice flavored water for 100 pesos. Sea shells for a whopping $5us a piece! Etc etc.

And yes, some of our vehicles got stuck and sputtered along the excursion. But the official guide/mechanic/leader always fixed it in seconds with whatever tools he had to his possession.

Something to admire about a poor people. They make do with whatever they have.

And survive!