American Airlines pricing

Aug 6, 2006
Apparently, they are giving Dominicans in Denver a sweet deal to drum up business. It's like they are paying $65 to fly from Denver.

Airline fares frequently make no sense.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is amazing:

POP-MIA-DEN
DEN - MIA - POP $593

POP-MIA
MIA-POP $658

same dates in February using the same flight to Miami!!!!!!!!
unreal.

And you can lower the price by buying 2 one way tickets instead of a RT. Try it...........

Maxie143

Jun 3, 2010
Tiny sidebar, AA makes no sense, I am still awaiting a response to my four page compliant...ok I am done now.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
POP to Denver and Chicago are always about $200 less than Minneapolis, don't know why. Also, more miles to fly from POP to MIA than it is to London or Madrid!

I checked flight in Feb from Minneapolis. $500 to Santiago, and $900 to Puerto Plata! It's all so confusing.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
POP to Denver and Chicago are always about $200 less than Minneapolis, don't know why. Also, more miles to fly from POP to MIA than it is to London or Madrid!

I checked flight in Feb from Minneapolis. $500 to Santiago, and $900 to Puerto Plata! It's all so confusing.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007

Since it's the same amount of miles to fly London or Madrid stopover in NYC and/or MIA for as long as you want and then on to POP as it is MIA to POP so might as well add a flight to/from Europe.

SosuaEnVivo

Nov 13, 2014
I booked American from Chicago to Santo Domingo for Dec 7-Jan 31. I used 35,000 airmiles and TSA/Taxes are $111.00. I thought that was a good airmile deal. 17.5k each way.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
last time i flew a.a. i was almost stripped searched....this was on the boarding part....they were just about to pat me down...count my money and check my answers to their questions.. i was reccognised. by one of the (troopers) and everything stopped as soon as she stuck up for me...
i was compliant...a bit worried about not making the flight as i was almost last boarding.......

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Koodoos to AA.........
You write like a guy that SHOULD be strip-searched before being let on a plane.......:)

Feb 7, 2007
@Conchman and others:
Interesting and enlightening reading
Hidden-City Ticketing Lawsuit — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net

The airlines charge more for the non stop flight, usually HUB flights from out stations, than if you are connecting as there is usually more competition on connecting itineraries. On non-stop itineraries, there is usually only one or two carriers flying the route, and fares are quite similar.

Miami is a BIG hub for American, thus, the increased price

Just check how much it costs to fly MIA-FRA, and how much it costs MIA-BER, for example
$1,306 MIA-FA on Lufthansa, while it is $1,000 on LH, via same FRA.

Going to HUB is 99% of time always more expensive than going beyond the hub.

The logic is as the one mentioned above: you pay premium for a direct flight. If you have to connect, you have choice of alternatives, so you consider total trip time not just the flight time, and it may be faster to fly SDQ-JFK-DEN than SDQ-MIA-DEN ... airlines must consider this, and therefore, the pricing goes down. Also, airlines price on city pair basis, so if other airinies have promotion to certain cities, they will have them cheap as well. Just check my thread about cheap rates to San Jose Costa Rica. Condor and Copa are head to head with price.

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
This is amazing:

POP-MIA-DEN
DEN - MIA - POP $593

POP-MIA
MIA-POP $658

same dates in February using the same flight to Miami!!!!!!!!
unreal.

I bought a ticket on cheaptickest, Sacramento Ca to Santiago $194. I could not believe it. It is one way but that is less than what you would pay going to Miami OR Miami Santiago. It is on United. Unbelievable.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
yeah this is a little trick called Hidden something prices. I've been using this for a couple of years and will probably continue as long as I can.
This goes for American and US Airways at least for my experience.
For example: SDQ to PHIL direct - 295 (just example) but i did a search for another local airport and whalla
SDQ to PHL to ALLentown was like 210
so I booked this one and got off at phil where you have to collect luggage and go through customs anyway before reboard another flight.
Another time it was SDQ to PHL to BWI that turned out to be some 90 so dollars cheaper than just SDQ to PHIL direct.

Can only use this trick though when going through an ICE airport where your luggage gets off the plane and checked.

I understand the airlines hate this "loss of revenue" so to speak.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just tried the SDQ - PHL route and added BWI

came out cheaper direct to PHL (Jan 17)...but I'll keep looking

Jan 9, 2004
Most majors, AA included, have a policy against hidden city ticketing...and have for years.

If you purchase a R/T ticket and use hidden city ticketing on the first leg....they may well void the other half of the ticket....and they have. It is addressed in the fine print of your Condition of Carriage.

TICKET VALIDITY - COMPLIANCE WITH TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE

Tickets are valid for travel only when used in accordance with all terms and conditions of sale. Terms and conditions of sale include but are not limited to:
1. The passenger's itinerary, as stated on the ticket or in the passenger's reservation record,
2. Any requirement that the passenger stay over a specified date or length of time (for example, Saturday night or weekend) at the destination specified on the ticket.
3. Any special purpose or status (for example, age in the case of senior citizen or children's discounts, military status in the case of a military fare, official government business in the case of a government fare, or attendance at a qualified event in the case of a meeting or convention fare) that entitles the passenger to a special or reduced rate, or
4. Any other requirement associated with the passenger's fare level.

Unless a ticket is reissued by American or its authorized agent upon payment of applicable charges, or an authorized representative of American waives applicable restrictions in writing, a ticket is invalid:
1. If used for travel to a destination other than that specified on the ticket,
2. If the passenger fails to comply with applicable stay-over requirements,
3. If the passenger does not meet the purpose or status requirement associated with the fare category on the ticket, or
4. If American determines that the ticket has been purchased or used in a manner designed to circumvent applicable fare rules.

American specifically prohibits the practices commonly known as:

Back to Back Ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.

Throwaway Ticketing: The usage of roundtrip excursion fare for one-way travel, and

Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing: Purchase of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.

Duplicate and Impossible/Illogical Bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFKDFW and LGADFW or DFWLAX and DFWONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight.

Fraudulent, Fictitious and Abusive Bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines.

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:
1. Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary,
2. Confiscate unused flight coupons,
3. Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage,
4. Refuse to refund an otherwise refundable ticket, or
5.Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary.

Caveat Emptor.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited: