Bringing road bike to DR

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Any tips on bringing a road bike to DR via United Air?? I'll be transporting it in a plastic case. Guessing fairly straightforward, however one nevr knows. Thanks

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I hope I'm wrong and I hope you have no problems otherwise, but brace yourself for the worst if you're travelling with one of those plastic cases that are specifically for bikes.

Oversized luggage is an invitation to get reamed by the airlines. The costs you will incur could run into the hundreds of dollars one-way.

The amount is totally arbitrary up to whatever the max is. And for whatever reason, if you tell them you're carrying a bike, it makes it even worse. Don't ask me why and don't ask any of the airline employees why, because they don't know either.

I would try to retro-fit a regular "maleta" and fit the bike in. The Dominicans who ride in the NYC/New Jersey area are experts at this. If you live in the area and know any who ride and travel back and forth to the DR, they will be able to help you out with this.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
its none of my biz, BUT I am curious. Are you going to ride a bicycle on Dominican roads?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
As opposed to riding in races where I have seen the cops close off the highway for bicycle races.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
We've brought down 2 in the past year. 1 brand new, 1 slightly used. No issue at all either time.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
We've brought down 2 in past year. 1 brand new in the original cardboard box and 1 slightly used and in an old box. No issue at all either time

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We shipped two [used] bikes down to our nephews last year, using a mundanza. Cost was $40 per bike, unboxed, ready to roll, delivered right to their door. Embarque Bella Vista out of the Bronx picked them up.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I hope I'm wrong and I hope you have no problems otherwise, but brace yourself for the worst if you're travelling with one of those plastic cases that are specifically for bikes.

Oversized luggage is an invitation to get reamed by the airlines. The costs you will incur could run into the hundreds of dollars one-way.

The amount is totally arbitrary up to whatever the max is. And for whatever reason, if you tell them you're carrying a bike, it makes it even worse. Don't ask me why and don't ask any of the airline employees why, because they don't know either.

I would try to retro-fit a regular "maleta" and fit the bike in. The Dominicans who ride in the NYC/New Jersey area are experts at this. If you live in the area and know any who ride and travel back and forth to the DR, they will be able to help you out with this.

Some airlines include a piece of sports equipment free of charge. Bikes in a case will be shipped as oversized luggage and picked up at a separate counter. Check your fare rate and with your airline

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
its none of my biz, BUT I am curious. Are you going to ride a bicycle on Dominican roads?

I paid $30.00cdn to bring a bicycle down on a charter from Toronto. Go to the airline website and it will tell you how much to bring it down. As far as where I ride mine. Everyday I go shopping at La Serina and stop at one of the casitas for a refreshment. The Malecon has a bike/skateboarding pathway from Long Beach to the Fort.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com

I paid $30.00cdn to bring a bicycle down on a charter from Toronto. Go to the airline website and it will tell you how much to bring it down. As far as where I ride mine. Everyday I go shopping at La Serina and stop at one of the casitas for a refreshment. The Malecon has a bike/skateboarding pathway from Long Beach to the Fort.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Any tips on bringing a road bike to DR via United Air?? I'll be transporting it in a plastic case. Guessing fairly straightforward, however one nevr knows. Thanks

As mentioned, some airlines allow sporting gear free of charge. AirTran did for my bicycle in March. *When* you travel is important, as high season has additional baggage limitations (check UAL's website).

Also, be careful where you store the smaller things for travel. I called myself being smart and tossed all bike-related things into the box with the bike. When TSA searched it, they lost my bike wheellock key, so I couldn't reassemble the bike to ride.

latitude19

May 29, 2011

Lots of people ride on Dominican roads. I see an occasional elite rider riding in downtown Esperanza, then on the highway bak to Santiago. That is crazy!! I'm going to be biking on dirt secondary roads where there is not nearly as much traffic, so MUCH safer.

I think I'll pack the bike in a regular carboard bike box to cut down overall dimension. I'll call the airline and get the price documented from United before I go, so will have an official price if they decide to charge me more. Of course, they could charge me less, so I'll be quiet until they give me a price.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE has a bike at our house, but we're in the campo where there isn't quite the traffic craziness as other places. He uses it to go to the ferreteria or the big colmado at the beach, etc. Everyone wants to buy it, he makes sure it's always locked up. :)

buggabagang

Jan 5, 2010
United will charge $200 to bring a bike in an oversized container.
I'm from the northeast USA and am on the North Coast for the holidays.
I have a few good dirt road rides in the Sosua area.
Let me know if you want to hook up for a ride up this way.
Good Luck!

buggabagang

Jan 5, 2010
bike luggage on United...

United will charge $200 to bring a bike in an oversized container.
I'm from the northeast USA and am on the North Coast for the holidays.
I have a few good dirt road rides in the Sosua area.
Let me know if you want to hook up for a ride up this way.
Good Luck!

Drfraser

Dec 10, 2014
Is there anyone selling a used bicycle in Sosua? We are looking and would appreciate any info. Thanks

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Price for bike $150 in cardboard box. Not cheap. Good thing is, this bike is relocating permanantly to DR. Buggabagang, like to ride with you. I will send you a PM shortly.