Moving to DR :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qu33n

Banned
Jan 6, 2015
I am planning to moving to Santo Domingo, DR in 2016 from the US. I admit I am not as fluent in Spanish as I should be, but I do know enough to survive at the least. I understand more than I speak. I am overly excited about moving there, it's a beautiful country!

I graduated college for IT Support & Network Administration. I currently work for CCH, Wolters Kluwer and have been here for going on 4 years doing Website Design & Administration & SQL Administration. I also support a Time & Billing administration program for the company called Practice Management.

I have a 6 year old daughter (she will be 8 then) that will be joining me for the move.

The main thing that has me nervous about the move is being able to find a job in my field that is English-based(?) and the school systems. I'm curious to know what the school systems are like for grade-school students.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to DR1.

Where are you moving from? Are you aware you need residency to work in DR, and that you have to begin that process where you live?

Qu33n

Banned
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas, United States. I figured I would need something to that effect. I'm still in the researching stage so I don't know the exact details yet but it's a WIP.

Aug 6, 2006
Public schools are not very good. Schools in some parts of the DR meet in shifts: 8:00-12:00, 2:00-6:00, even 7:00-10:00 for older students. That is the schedule in Barahona, not the most prosperous part oif the country. Private schools are your best bet for jobs. It would be best to find the job before you come, as it will get you a better salary, according to what others here have said. I think there are online job placement services for teaching abroad.

If you can get a list of e mail addresses of private schools in the DR, you could send them a cover letter and a CV. That is what I would do.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again as a prelude to the few who will chime in and disagree. Before you make any more decisions, call the DR embassy closed to you and ask them this exact question:

Can I, being an able bodied adult of age XX, relocate from Kansas USA with my daughter to Santo Domingo and apply to work for a company after I arrive?

You will be told no, you may not. You will be told that residency is granted to people who are retired with a minimum monthly guaranteed income (pension) or to those who plunk down a significant amount of money to invest in the DR.

Since you are working in Kansas and plan to work when you arrive in the DR you do not qualify as a retired person. You may be able to apply to come here, invest a sizable amount of $$$ and start a business that would then offer employment to Dominicans, but that doesn't sound like what you had in mind. If you can get an established Dominican company to sponsor you for a work visa you may move here that way.

I suggest you do some more fact finding research specific to your intended agenda before you start worrying about schools, as I do not think that will be an issue for very long.

Your original post did not mention if you have legal ties to the DR so for the purposes of this post I have assumed that you do not.

Sorry, good luck.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
If you are young (under 30) go for it, you've got time to rebound....But the fact you have a small child you are bringing into the situation may be a cause for concern. Don't move for love...visit often, you'll be richer and happier.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am planning to moving to Santo Domingo, DR in 2016 from the US. I admit I am not as fluent in Spanish as I should be, but I do know enough to survive at the least. I understand more than I speak. I am overly excited about moving there, it's a beautiful country!

I graduated college for IT Support & Network Administration. I currently work for CCH, Wolters Kluwer and have been here for going on 4 years doing Website Design & Administration & SQL Administration. I also support a Time & Billing administration program for the company called Practice Management.

I have a 6 year old daughter (she will be 8 then) that will be joining me for the move.

The main thing that has me nervous about the move is being able to find a job in my field that is English-based(?) and the school systems. I'm curious to know what the school systems are like for grade-school students.

It sounds like you are considering moving to the DR for the wrong reasons. First, it will be very difficult to find a job in your field. Secondly, if you do find one you will be making a lot less than you currently do. Third, the public school systems here are not very good. To leave everything familiar to you and especially your daughter is a disaster waiting to happen. DO NOT move to the DR based on a long distance relationship. Find out the requirements for residency. It is not a cheap process. It will cost you around $1500usd per person. Yes it is a beautiful country to visit and vacation in but living here full time is a totally different experience. Think long and hard before you cut the cord.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
PUT THE POPCORN IN THE "MICRO"!!!!

Too BAD THE CHILD WILL SUFFER FOR THE "SINS" OF THE MOTHER!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Forget giving her any advice to the contrary, she WILL come!
These posters are not looking for advice, they are looking for approval!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Queen,

First, welcome to DR1!

Second, the bad news: you should be very careful in moving to the country in order to be with someone. Will he be dependent upon you, or does he have a similar professional-track career and sustainable income as you? Doesn't really matter if he makes less (most folks do), but if he works at a resort or something similar, that's a really big red flag.

Third, the good news: it appears you have a position in which you can work remotely. Is that true? If so, you'll be able to continue to make a US salary in the DR, which will provide you a fairly solid quality of life, even in SD. The best private schools in SD run north of 12-13k, so be sure to build that in your schedule.

Finally, a bit of advice: it's good you're not planning to move for at least a year. I'd suggest you take your daughter there during summer break and give it a tryout. Three months is nothing (won't even need residency for that), and you'll get a much better feel for what you're getting yourself (and your little one) into.

Tread carefully, and good luck.

Qu33n

Banned
Jan 6, 2015
PUT THE POPCORN IN THE "MICRO"!!!!

Too BAD THE CHILD WILL SUFFER FOR THE "SINS" OF THE MOTHER!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Forget giving her any advice to the contrary, she WILL come!
These posters are not looking for advice, they are looking for approval!

You should not be so quick to judge or assume. I do not need the approval of anyone, I am simply looking for statistics, facts, advice. Not the shallow minded thinking of anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.