Finally here and all set to make it happen.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Hi All,

Greetings,

My name is Krishna and though originally from india but been living in Geneva for last ten years and now I am in this beautiful country which for me is home away from home.
My fianc? has been living here for past couple of years and now i understand why she is in love with this country.
Anyways i am opening an Indian restaurant by the end of March in Corales called NAMASTE, still looking for spice stores which has indian spices in Santo Domingo or anywhere in the country. Any idea? any help related to meat suppliers or veggies, fruits is always welcome from experts here.
Thank you all the members of this forum for helping out new comers like me.

Cordially,

Krishna Duddukuri.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Best of luck. I had to bring Indian spices from the US when I visit. I do wish you were on the north coast for that restaurant. Where is Corales?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Krishna, Firstly Good luck and make sure you have a cheap Take Away Service . Carrefour just out on the Duarte Highway nprth of SD had a good spice counter when I last went there but that was years ago. Spices are not cheap here so bear that in mind.
Olly and the Team

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You will need to import the spices, most of the decent brands/types you will not find in the DR. AZB is our resident poster/expert on Indian spices and cooking.

Will you be in Los Corales in Bavaro/Punta Cana?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
...i am opening an Indian restaurant by the end of March in Corales called NAMASTE, still looking for spice stores which has indian spices in Santo Domingo or anywhere in the country. Any idea?

Welcome and good luck. No offense but one would think you figured that out before... ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1 from a potential future customer. I'm also assuming you mean Los Corales in B?varo. There is also a place called "Corales" - without the "Los" - in Punta Cana Resort and Club.

I was going to mention Asiatico but Expat13 beat me to it. There is also L'Epicier de L'Orient on Churchill with Pastoriza, Possibly also Org?nica in Agora Mall, both in in Santo Domingo.
https://www.facebook.com/LEpicierDeLOrient
https://www.facebook.com/TiendaOrganica

I second the suggestion of bringing your own spices and other key ingredients (ghee, certain pulses) that may be difficult to find here if possible.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Try Mopax Caribbean Import for great imported meat, they deliver to Bavaro, and Osme CxA is a whole seller for spices.

Good luck and let me know when it's open to visit.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Hiii,

Yes, lots of products like vegetables, butter, yogurt are very tasty here. definitely Ghee...
This is for Tommeyers.

Last edited:

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
If the modification goes as planned then by the end of third week of March. Idea is to be ready by Easter. Thank you for the tip, will look into it.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Los Corales in near Danny's Bar, Whala beach resorts, Before Cortecito. i do have spices for the next few months, i got it from
Geneva when i moved here. I heard there is a small community of Indians in Cabarete. I have also a deal based in Miami who has everything i need but the only problem here in this country is that it is not easy to import spices and plants etc.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Dear Olly and Team,
Thank you so much for the tips. I have managed to find few spices necessary for curries in Nacional and also Asiatico have lentilles and spices in 27 febrero, SD. Take away is available for sure cos lots of residences around the wouldbe restaurant. looking
forward to have you in the resto.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Yes Bavaro, Punta Cana... it's next to Danny's Bar and Cicotello supermarket. 27 febrero, Asiatico Mercado have some spices and lentilles in SD.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
I do have choices like Asiatico in the Capital and initial stock last few months and a deal in Miami. After coming here i noticed that importing spices is not that easy and in supermarkets the stock availability is not constant or regular. Just for back up plans.
Caribmike.

Last edited:

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Thank you for your Welcome and really appreciate it.
I have all the initial stock for next few months. Already checked with Asiatico and they are willing to be suppliers. Also have an
Aggarwals in Miami as suppliers but they need bulk orders. I am going to look at the other two links you sent me. Appreciate it so much. Ghee can be made at home. I mostly learnt cooking from my mother and grand mother from south india and worked in Switzerland cooking Indian food for a semi fine dining restaurant. Saying all this here it's a whole new world and a complete
challenge for me.
Regards.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hiii,

Yes, lots of products like vegetables, butter, yogurt are very tasty here. definitely Ghee...
This is for Tommeyers.
I bought a 6 jar at a time yogurt maker which is really just a hotplate with cover(cheap).
Easy to make and you add flavor after.This is fresh and only has one ingredient-milk- unlike the overpriced yogurt sold in stores filled with chemicals and preservatives.This stuff is great for intestinal health and cooking!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Wishing you all the best, Krishna. Keep us posted and feel free to ask me any questions by Private Message. You could also start a new thread in the East Coast Forum.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You REALLY MUST check out Carrefore for spices in bulk amounts!
It smells like an Indian restaurant just standing near their spices, they have lentils in bulk too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC