Whales

Marc Borms

Feb 8, 2015
Hello,
can we just go down to Samana and get on a boat to watch the wales?
Or should I book/call in advance?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,
can we just go down to Samana and get on a boat to watch the wales?
Or should I book/call in advance?

Go on line and check out Whale watching with Kim Beddall. She gives the best tour and the boat is a good size if you have a day where the water is a little rough.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I know Kim's site. Problem is I don't know for sure when i'll be in Samana.

Last time I went they were accepting people without reservations. Safer to make a reservation though, even if it's just the night before.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Whale Watches

Dates
January 15th to March 25th, 2015

Yes, and the whales are counting down the minutes... :laugh:

whale_watch_zpsgedykjcz.jpg

donP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Never booked.....always go on spec. and find a boat and join in with the rest...and avoid the tourist trap stop off on return to Caya Levantado......and better rates.

There are always a bunch of private boat hires on right hand side of jetty.....negotiable rates

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Tourist trap on Cayo Levantado what is that.

There is a resort there, Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado....

Larger boats and tourist boats generally drop people off on the island for a few hours

You don't get to the resort......you get to the side of the island with decent beach plus tiendas touting their wares, a few food and beverage outlets and various people hawking their goods.

Once bitten twice shy.......

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Advice.....avoid the Cayo........get back onshore then leg it off to Playa la Valle which is about 20 minutes drive away and enjoy one of the very best and most picturesque beaches on this island with a nice local lunch as well, with perhaps a few tourists who have just completed the zip line experience.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Tourist trap on Cayo Levantado what is that.

There is a resort there, Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado....

On the whale tour they give you the option to get off the boat for an hour and hang out on Cayo Levantado. If you are in the mood to eat or drink than go for it. It is, however over run by tourists and people staying at the hotel on the island. I found the the tour with Kim B. to be very nice but about 1 hour to long.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
well for under USD$3000 you can go on one of the liveaboard boats for a week and go snorkel with the whales also. sell your car and go do it, you will remember it for the rest of your life.
Swim with Humpback Whales in the Dominican Republic

dave.

This is not in the DR. This is a boat out of Florida that goes near the Turks and Caicos to observe whales. The DR has strict guidlines as to contact with the whales in Samana Bay and will not let you get that close to them, especially if they have a calf.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
This is not in the DR. This is a boat out of Florida that goes near the Turks and Caicos to observe whales. The DR has strict guidlines as to contact with the whales in Samana Bay and will not let you get that close to them, especially if they have a calf.

Actually you will find that what I said is true. The three liveaboards go out to silver banks every week from Ocean world marina in sosua. They are Aggressor, Explorer and Peter Hughes liveaboards. You spend one week out in the silver banks, snorkelling in water with the whales. I have done two seasons myself out there as crew, and the boats are out there as we speak. I think the confusion on your part was that I was not talking about semana bay. regards......

It is an AMAZING experience, and once again i recommend that you sell your car and book a trip.....take the people who you love, they will be forever grateful. The whales are majestic, the calves are so beautiful and yes you get in the water every morning and every afternoon with the whales. You can free dive or just snorkel. Tom Conlin has been going out there for many many years.

Last edited:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Actually you will find that what I said is true. The three liveaboards go out to silver banks every week from Ocean world marina in sosua. They are Aggressor, Explorer and Peter Hughes liveaboards. You spend one week out in the silver banks, snorkelling in water with the whales. I have done two seasons myself out there as crew, and the boats are out there as we speak. I think the confusion on your part was that I was not talking about semana bay. regards......

It is an AMAZING experience, and once again i recommend that you sell your car and book a trip.....take the people who you love, they will be forever grateful. The whales are majestic, the calves are so beautiful and yes you get in the water every morning and every afternoon with the whales. You can free dive or just snorkel. Tom Conlin has been going out there for many many years.

I would love to do that..
I've seen the pics.

(But my car is not worth that much!)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

It does not look like the boat is out of Florida.. well. the BOAT may be out of Florida but the tour starts and stops in Puerta Plata Adventure Quest X - Silver Bank - Swim with Whales, Travel and Tours

Basil alise

Aug 12, 2014
On the whale tour they give you the option to get off the boat for an hour and hang out on Cayo Levantado. If you are in the mood to eat or drink than go for it. It is, however over run by tourists and people staying at the hotel on the island. I found the the tour with Kim B. to be very nice but about 1 hour to long.
After reading your post it seems to me that you have enough information about fishing. Let me know your best diving exprience and where did you enjoy that dive? I mean diving destination!!