Looking forward to live in RD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatyJohn

May 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

Me and my husband live in Switzerland, have no kids and almost 40's and want to move to RD on the SouthEast area.
We are planning on moving on the summer of 2016 and live from the tourism so we have to be near the big resorts.
We're going to RD for 2 weeks in spetember to get to know the area and we're planning on staying 1 week at Punta Cana, 3 days at Bayahibe and 4 days at Juan Dolio, to decide where to settle.
Does anyone live at this areas?
We'd love to have some practical informations.
Like modest rental costs for 1bed hurricane resistant apartment
(I seem to find only condo's on the net and we would like something more modest, means cheaper)
access to medical care - clinics or hospitals on these areas (Punta cana, Bayahibe and Juan Dolio)
monthly budget for groceries
monthly budget for electricity, gas and internet...

Thank you all for your advices... they're very welcome:knockedou

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
have you visited the Dominican consulate in Switzerland to ask about a visa for business?

I think the days when any old European can just come and live cheap and hope to get a job "living from the tourism"

there is crackdown on immigration

and you will need to get residency in order to get a cedula in order to be legally hired

which will pay you about $300 to $500 a month

not really enough to pay the rent

so your first stop needs to be the Dominican Consulate in Switzerland

if you have a good nest egg.. say over US $200k, you will most likely qualify

and then can come back to the board with the questions

living costs all depend on your lifestyle

the current rates are always going up but without kids.. should be around US 2k per month budget for a couple..
with a tight belt.

Very few people that I know here EARN that.

I dunno about PC rents.

I live on the NC and my wife and I spend a lot more than what MA said with no kids and we own our house. It is not as cheap as you would think it is to live here ESPECIALLY in tourist areas. I do not like to live modestly though and eat out almost daily and we drive a lot!!

PC is more expensive than the NC isn't it?

Good luck but make sure you take off your rose colored glasses!!!

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
"and live from the tourism so we have to be near the big resorts."

The gringos don't typically leave the resorts...and when they do they're assaulted by local vendors all hawking the same tacky objects.

Are you going to compete with the locals?

Are you going to live amongst them in the barrio?

Aug 6, 2006
This does not seem like a sound business plan as stated.

Perhaps they should come to the DR and look things over, perhaps they have talents that are in great demand that are not available locally.

Cheesemaking might be useful. Dominican cheese is pretty good, but is rarely holey.

Everyone likes chocolates. Then there is watch repair...less popular a trade now that most watches are digital.

Everyone likes cuckoo clocks, in theory at least.

Yodeling and alpenhorn lessons, probably not viable career choices.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hardly Used

.... make sure you take off your rose colored glasses!!!

OMG, I was going to sell them mine. :laugh:

Still in great shape, only used for a short time (in 1995).... :classic:

rosecolouredglasses_zpstdu2gzsk.png

donP

Last edited:

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I'd suggest living here for 2-3 months before moving permanently. There's "stuff" to manage that doesn't become clear in simply 1-2 weeks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bayahibe",...#1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KIND OF A EUROPEAN FEEL, mostly Italian.
DR CHEESE, IS NOT WORTH EATING, IT'S LIKE PLASTIC,...NO, PLASTIC HAS MORE FLAVOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
" live off of tourism... have to be near the resorts"..
what a wonderful business model..
lol

sorry, but why is it people think they can just move to the DR, with no knowledge of the culture,
and proceed to SHOW the stupid Locals how to do it, how to make $ better than they can off the tourists, and assume that the locals will just allow this right under their noses..
amazing..

but then again, it could be a Nice fancy RESTAURANT ?
that could work, but the OP did not specify this.

best of luck with your plans... and nothing against Euros, im one of them, was born there.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Swiss Specialties and Skills

Cheesemaking might be useful. Dominican cheese is pretty good, but is rarely holey.

The only edible Dominican cheese is the 'gouda type' from Sos?a.
That could be upgraded to a 'Swiss style' by shooting holes in it.
They need a shotgun anyway.... :laugh:

Yodeling and alpenhorn lessons, probably not viable career choices.

Hmm, remain skiing lessons... :cool:

donP

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Do lots of homework about the Dominican Republic before the big move.

That is really pointless. I've heard that on here so many times, and was told it a million times before I got here. Not amount of DR1ing, reading, googling, or vacationing here will prepare you for reality.

Rent here, live here for a year and have a safety net. Enough money to get you back home, and a place to stay when you get there.

It is the only way to prepare you for life here.

Aug 6, 2006
Sosua cheese is not gourmet quality, but it is comparable to everyday cheese sold in the US like cheddar and Mozzarella.
It is better than "American Cheese" or "Cheese Food Product" or "Cheese flavored substitute".

Real Swiss cheese would probably find a good market in the DR.

Note that the holes are formed by CO2 in the cheese during the hardening process. They are not made with firearms, broomhandles, or by rodents

If this couple were Italian Swiss, perhaps they could open a pizzeria.
I have found average pizza places in the DR, and a lot of overpriced, icky ones, but nothing I would call great.

I am not sure of the popularity. Pizza Express in Barahona makes pretty good pizza, but it is only open on weekends and I have never seen all four tables in service.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
PatyJohn,.

Check out Boca Chica as well.. its a well known place :)

To live of Tourism may be a big challenge. But I think Bayahibe misses a kind of Youth Hostel for the backpackers.

Having a hotel or apartment its always good to know how to fix things yourself.. If you must call people you be happy if the show up and if they do if they will do a good job. It will costs you lots anyway!

Be sure to not sell your house in Suisse and to invest all your money in the DR. Have sufficient financial backup in case things don't go well and you must return..

and perhaps keep a good eye on your hubby.. The Dominican women can put a spell on him :)

Jul 28, 2014
IF your plan is to live off what you make from your "Dominican income", you'd best be a cop or politician so you can make money *cough * scam a real income...

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Hi everyone,

Me and my husband live in Switzerland, have no kids and almost 40's and want to move to RD on the SouthEast area.
We are planning on moving on the summer of 2016 and live from the tourism so we have to be near the big resorts.
We're going to RD for 2 weeks in spetember to get to know the area and we're planning on staying 1 week at Punta Cana, 3 days at Bayahibe and 4 days at Juan Dolio, to decide where to settle.
Does anyone live at this areas?
We'd love to have some practical informations.
Like modest rental costs for 1bed hurricane resistant apartment
(I seem to find only condo's on the net and we would like something more modest, means cheaper)
access to medical care - clinics or hospitals on these areas (Punta cana, Bayahibe and Juan Dolio)
monthly budget for groceries
monthly budget for electricity, gas and internet...

Thank you all for your advices... they're very welcome:knockedou

Why would you want to leave a beautiful place like Switzerland to live in the DR??? Yes, i been to Switzerland a few times and love it. Specially around lake Geneva. If it's the warm weather you want, you are better off in the Meditereanean. Hell, if you have a home there, i will trade you my 3-br condo on the beach in the USA for your place there.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
" live off of tourism... have to be near the resorts"..
what a wonderful business model..
lol

sorry, but why is it people think they can just move to the DR, with no knowledge of the culture,
and proceed to SHOW the stupid Locals how to do it, how to make $ better than they can off the tourists, and assume that the locals will just allow this right under their noses..
amazing..

but then again, it could be a Nice fancy RESTAURANT ?
that could work, but the OP did not specify this.

best of luck with your plans... and nothing against Euros, im one of them, was born there.

Well said JD.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sosua cheese is not gourmet quality, but it is comparable to everyday cheese sold in the US like cheddar and Mozzarella.
It is better than "American Cheese" or "Cheese Food Product" or "Cheese flavored substitute".

Real Swiss cheese would probably find a good market in the DR.

Note that the holes are formed by CO2 in the cheese during the hardening process. They are not made with firearms, broomhandles, or by rodents

If this couple were Italian Swiss, perhaps they could open a pizzeria.
I have found average pizza places in the DR, and a lot of overpriced, icky ones, but nothing I would call great.

I am not sure of the popularity. Pizza Express in Barahona makes pretty good pizza, but it is only open on weekends and I have never seen all four tables in service.

There a many great cheeses sold here in the DR,
Supermercado National has dozens of cheeses imported from nearly every cheese making country in Europe.
But boy are they EXPENSIVE!!!!!!
ESPECIALLY TO AN AMERICANO.
Milk is like water in the USA.
Farmers dump it to keep the price up.
Consequently the price of good cheeses is low.

PS,..SPARE ME THE "AMERICAN CHEESES ARE GARBAGE" POSTS.
iF YOU THINK THAT, GET OUT TO CHEESES TASTING SOMETIME!!!!

iT'S LIKE SAYING,.."CALIFORNIAN wines suck"!!!!!!!!!!!!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
hi op what is your plan/idea to be near tourism...can u say? a salon???? women always need these....the sun .. the long trip,,,stress relief...hair and nails, foot massage....steam. suana,,,roots touched and coloring...facials, mud packs ,,,etc just a few things they need ....esp here...they on vacation.......:classic::classic::classic:

Status
Not open for further replies.