Tips on booking low-cost flights in Europe

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I want to book two one-way flights for early July, one from Brussels to Barcelona, the second 3 days later from Barcelona to Malaga, but I don't know where to start. Low-cost preferable but must be able to take luggage.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You can take luggage on all the lost cost airlines, you just have to pay.
Many use hubs that are not always the main airports or close to city centers.
So train, bus and taxi costs should be taken into account.

Ryanair, EasyJet, Vueling etc. You have many options.

On Ryanair in early July, Barcelona to Malaga is US$37.
If you add in a 20kg bag, it will cost you more than the actual ticket :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I may be late but Europeans still use travel agencies a lot more than we do on this side of the Atlantic, so I would contact a local agency if I were you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
always a good idea to check with a travel agent

a friend's family was flying to Australia to Christmas with their son who was at school there.
they hunted the internet for deals and got one... changing planes in some other country

at check-in in Toronto, the agent asked for their visa ( to enter the plane change country)

Ooops.......... full fare tickets.... deal went up the flu and cost thousands....thousands....

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I want to book two one-way flights for early July, one from Brussels to Barcelona, the second 3 days later from Barcelona to Malaga, but I don't know where to start. Low-cost preferable but must be able to take luggage.

Like others have said, you have a number of options available.

If your dates are not fixed, I would first use non-airline specific site to check which days of week are cheaper (with a monthly calendar), then use a booking engine or an airline specific site to book. If your dates are fixed, then just compare the prices with a few sites and ultimately with the site of that airline itself.

The sites I have used include for example eDreams, Orbitz (American), a couple of German sites (billigfluege.de etc.) or Kayak, which is a ****-search engine. Depending on the site (mostly if it?s based in EU or US), you have various different payment options available. I?d advice checking carefully the cancellation/change of date conditions between booking engine booking and airline site booking.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
All roads led to Ryanair. Not fabulously cheap but within budget. Thanks for all your help!