help needed person with no spanish

exuma stealth

Apr 21, 2012
I would like for someone to get information on room rates at KMA hotel for me for 4nights in this month. I called them but the person don't speak English on I dont speak Spanish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lavarison Smith

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
You: Habitacion quattro noches

Hotel: Series of high-pitched unrecognizable clicking and whirring noises.

You: Si. Nombre Senor Smith.

Hotel: No es cornholio manana.

You: Gracias my fren.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
translate.google.com, even talk so you can hear how to say it.

Or, you can call Language Line, set up an account and they will translate for you over the phone for you for a fee

Or, go to the closest Mexican Restaurant, Home Depot, or Chipolte and ask if any one speaks Spanish. Buy them a beer to make the call for you.

Apr 7, 2014
translate.google.com, even talk so you can hear how to say it.

Or, you can call Language Line, set up an account and they will translate for you over the phone for you for a fee

Or, go to the closest Mexican Restaurant, Home Depot, or Chipolte and ask if any one speaks Spanish. Buy them a beer to make the call for you.
Who speaks Spanish at a Chipotle restaurant? Isnt that restaurant owned by McDonalds?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I called them but the person don't speak English on I dont speak Spanish.

Seriously friend, room rates will be the least of your difficulties if you opt to exist in downtown Puerto Plata without the ability to communicate the simplest of wants & desires.

Quick install a translation app on your phone, make sure you know how to use google translate. You don't need to be fluent in Spanish but you do need a few nouns and verbs just to get by. You might be surprised to learn that KMA is not pronounced the same in Spanish and standing outside an airport, telling the taxi where you want to go will be lesson #1 in frustration. You could probably write down the name and address, but the driver might not be able to read it.

I don't know why you are coming to POP but I did note that it is only for four days. Consider a cheap resort in Playa Dorada where there is at least a chance of someone understanding when you tell them you are having a heart attack or that you ate bad puffer fish.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
number 809 244 4237, spoke to marie. mari? meri? who knows how she spells it. price in pesos, per apartment, per night:
1,000 apartamento sincillo (simple)
2,500 apartamento executivo (executive)
3,000 apartamento de 2 habitaciones (2 bedroom)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
number 809 244 4237, spoke to marie. mari? meri? who knows how she spells it. price in pesos, per apartment, per night:

Wow, talk about customer service!

exuma stealth

Apr 21, 2012

Thank you dv8 that is all I wanted to know, not my first time going to Puerto Plata just dont have language down pack learning process. Love being around the locals and experiencing the culture. Stayed at Castillo del Ambar last trip just wanted to get prices on this place.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i cannot swear for those prices, thou. in DR often different phone calls yield different results. try to email them as well just to be sure.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003

Wow, that's what I call outstanding.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Every now and then a DR1'er comes through. Doesn't happen often which makes it super special when it does happen. Thx for the effort DV8.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
You: Habitacion quattro noches

Hotel: Series of high-pitched unrecognizable clicking and whirring noises.

You: Si. Nombre Senor Smith.

Hotel: No es cornholio manana.

You: Gracias my fren.

Now, that's some funny sh!t, Idin't care who you are!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
If you can get through all the silly stuff (I'm being polite), DR 1 has some great information and knowledgeable people..

Finding it can be tough, but (sometimes) --worth the effort.

I managed for a couple of years with almost no Dominican Spanish, but longer than that, you will need some grasp of the local lingo for sure.