Recommended Schools in Puerto Plata?

kelhalla

Sep 19, 2014
Can anyone recommend good schools for kids (ages 7, 16) in Puerto Plata?

I've looked online and found some lists, was wondering about recommendation though.

Also looking for a house/apartment somewhat close to the school (if you know any).

Thanks

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Big question is if the school needs to be English language? Santa Rosa de Lima and San Felipe are both private and considered very good, but they have instruction in Spanish, not English. Actually, Santa Rosa de Lima is connected to PUCMM in Santiago.

kelhalla

Sep 19, 2014
Big question is if the school needs to be English language? Santa Rosa de Lima and San Felipe are both private and considered very good, but they have instruction in Spanish, not English. Actually, Santa Rosa de Lima is connected to PUCMM in Santiago.

The school doesn't need to be in English. Thanks for the recommendations, will check them out.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Email Hostos through their website hostosschool.m.webs.com or call them. They will get back to you. I taught there for three years between 2009-2012 school years. It's a good school.

kelhalla

Sep 19, 2014
Thanks, Hostos are one of the top on my list. Know how I can find housing close to the school?

Email Hostos through their website hostosschool.m.webs.com or call them. They will get back to you. I taught there for three years between 2009-2012 school years. It's a good school.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
They do have bus service to the school. I can find out the price. Not sure how close you want you live to the school but a bus is an option.

kelhalla

Sep 19, 2014
They do have bus service to the school. I can find out the price. Not sure how close you want you live to the school but a bus is an option.

Thanks. Do you know the address of the school? I can't find it anywhere and want to find a place that the girl (16) could walk to school, if possible.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I used to live in an apartment right in the park where the bomberos is. I walked to and from the school most days... Took maybe 15 minutes or so.

I think the street might be Circunvacion? It's the street that crosses over Manolo T Justo... Sorry, I really can't remember!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what? bomberos are on one side of the city and manolo tavarez justo on the other side.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Yep, I lived by the bomberos. Walked to work in about 15 minutes. The school is not on Manolo t justo. It's on the street that is a bridge passing over Manolo t justo... I don't remember many of the street names.. It is around the corner from la pulga. I think Circunvacion. I would pass the big Market outside when walking there.

Anyway, visit the website.call the school. They will be able to give much better directions than from my sketchy memory.

kelhalla

Sep 19, 2014
Appreciate the answers. Thanks

Yep, I lived by the bomberos. Walked to work in about 15 minutes. The school is not on Manolo t justo. It's on the street that is a bridge passing over Manolo t justo... I don't remember many of the street names.. It is around the corner from la pulga. I think Circunvacion. I would pass the big Market outside when walking there.

Anyway, visit the website.call the school. They will be able to give much better directions than from my sketchy memory.

web

Nov 5, 2005

I am sure it is a good school but for 80 mil pesos a year..too much for me plus inscription and books
What about San Felipe? Alic New World? San Jose?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am sure it is a good school but for 80 mil pesos a year..too much for me plus inscription and books
What about San Felipe? Alic New World? San Jose?

That about $200 a month. Think about how much you pay in property taxes wherever you are from and it seems pretty reasonable.