Honey Bee Swarm Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Looks like a colony somewhere split up and old Queenie and about 7000 of her closest worker friends have decided to rest in my hibiscus hedge while the scouts look for a new home. I sure hope those scouts don't find my roof or any other part of my casa for that matter inviting...

If I was in Canada I'd call a beekeeper and eventually would find one to come out and take the swarm away. Not sure what my options are here in Sosua. Chances are the swarm will move on in a few days. Until then the bees present a hazard for my dogs as they are located along the fence next to the road where the dogs run back and forth chasing cars and pedestrians.

Anyone know of a apiary I can call? Otherwise we'll just have to see what the bees do in a few days.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There are honey people .... I know one in Abreu... the guy that does the little jars you see in the stores.

There are honey people... another right at Playa Grande... sells in a hut beside the road

You'll find somebody...

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I know where bees are kept in Puerto Plata. I can try to contact them to see if they would be interested, if you like.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
La Profe_1,

That would be much appreciated. It's not a large swarm and it will probably move off on its own in a few days. If someone wants the bees and will come get them they are more than welcome to.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
La Profe_1,

That would be much appreciated. It's not a large swarm and it will probably move off on its own in a few days. If someone wants the bees and will come get them they are more than welcome to.

Sent an email and am waiting for a reply.

May 29, 2006
I removed a colony from an apt once and used a shop vac. The bees were unharmed(mostly). I opened it after dark that night after they had calmed down. No stings. I used a little smoke first with some damp paper.

There's an ex-pat honey business near Cabarete..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The swarm is still here. It's not an established colony, they are not out gathering pollen and making honey, just stopping by on their way to a new home, which I just hope is a long way away from where they are now. :)

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I have not received a response, so it seems that the beekeeper I know either can't or isn't interested in removing the swarm. If I do get a reply, I will post immediately.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Honey bees won't produce until they establish a colony and these guys are clearly in-transit as their choice of locations is less than ideal for them and me. I hope they rest up and move on soon.

Right now they are quite docile and disinterested. Once they establish a colony, have babies and honey, that demeanor will change.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am pleased to report that at some point this afternoon the swarm took flight and found somewhere else to hang out.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and especially to La Profe_1 who went above and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.