best breakfast in Sosua.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Interested in up to date experience not old search info. Being an American I love a good breakfast, bacon, endless coffee, potatoes, scrambled eggs, toast maybe hash browns and some fruit. Takes about an hour to eat. In Sosua there seems to be lots of breakfast choices and competition for the breakfast dollar. Interested in your opinions if you have tried a few. Only one thing ruins my experience. Lots of loud guys from New York smoking cigars around me. Nothing against New Yorkers but the noise and the cigars is too much for me early in the morning. Thanks

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
Good Luck.
I don't think a place exists in Sosua. It is impossible to escape the smoke. Is there such a thing as a non smoking restaurant in Sosua. Where I am from you cant even smoke on an outdoor patio and I love it.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Those guys aren't awake at an early breakfast. I've never had a smoker ruin breakfast.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Who said anything about an early breakfast. I did not come here to get up early and leave a hot wife and a warm bed? Corner of Clisante and Rosen, Cafe Monreal. Has a 99 peso special if you dont like to eat. Rest of the menu is pretty good and a variety of choices. So far its number one. Good fans, plenty of space, food is good and no cigar smokers or loud guys yelling at each other. Ouside and inside tables. Waitresses are the usual space cases, slow, total lack of iniative and cannot remember you from day to day. Wife still tips them but I shut up. It may be th e best deal because the tightest gringo in Sosua, Roy of the gigantic castle fame, is there every day for the 99 peso breakfast deal.

Used to like New Garden Hotel but prices are thru the roof and its filled with cigar smoking loud guys yelling at each other.
Next door to Cafe Monreal is Rockys but ribs are better than the breakfasts which are just ok. Soooooooo, thus far its Cafe Monreal the clear leader but I am still looking.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Those guys aren't awake at an early breakfast. I've never had a smoker ruin breakfast.

I agree, I cant think of any place where this would be an issue ..

1)- New Garden Hotel (not as a guest,just the breakfast) ... they give you nice portions, its fast, endless coffee as you said.. and the Fruit is nice , fresh, and plenty. Yes you got a NY crowd, but i have never seen anyone behave rudely at breakfast. in fact quite the opposite, everyone seems in a good mood ..we can guess why.

2)- La Costera.. Very nice breakfast choices and quality is good . but it gets really HOT there and if you added smoke ,it would be 10x worse. most Europeans like to smoke also, its not just guys from ny.

3)- Britannia Pub . has a very nice Canadian style Breakfast.. and is a nice spot to hang out , watching the pedestrians while reading, and sipping coffee. Even if someone was smoking here i dont think it would affect u as its not so enclosed.

4)- Victorian House . they have a very extensive Breakfast menu, but i have not been there yet.. but everyone who has seems to like it..
More of a SOUTHERN menu, like chicken and waffles ? .. which i dont understand, but people seem to really like their food

would enjoy hearing about other spots also.. there must be some new ones as many places have changed ownership or just opened up..
good topic.

web

Nov 5, 2005
I agree, I cant think of any place where this would be an issue ..

1)- New Garden Hotel (not as a guest,just the breakfast) ... they give you nice portions, its fast, endless coffee as you said.. and the Fruit is nice , fresh, and plenty. Yes you got a NY crowd, but i have never seen anyone behave rudely at breakfast. in fact quite the opposite, everyone seems in a good mood ..we can guess why.

2)- La Costera.. Very nice breakfast choices and quality is good . but it gets really HOT there and if you added smoke ,it would be 10x worse. most Europeans like to smoke also, its not just guys from ny.

3)- Britannia Pub . has a very nice Canadian style Breakfast.. and is a nice spot to hang out , watching the pedestrians while reading, and sipping coffee. Even if someone was smoking here i dont think it would affect u as its not so enclosed.

4)- Victorian House . they have a very extensive Breakfast menu, but i have not been there yet.. but everyone who has seems to like it..
More of a SOUTHERN menu, like chicken and waffles ? .. which i dont understand, but people seem to really like their food

would enjoy hearing about other spots also.. there must be some new ones as many places have changed ownership or just opened up..
good topic.

Plan B is pretty good I think it is like 220 pesos and includes bacon eggs fruit toast jam coffee and juice

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i took my laptop to the guy near Bailey?s, or whatever, and decided to go to PC for breakfast while he loaded the operating system. went to breakfast at one of the places which is highly regarded by posters here. i was the only guy there, and it took me twenty minutes to get bacon and scrambled eggs. when they came, i asked the waitress where my coffee was. she said she was going to make it.

i had no idea that anyone on earth can screw up scrambled eggs. going forward, i eat breakfast only at my home, or where i am sure people can at least make eggs. no more recommended restaurants.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I sometimes go to Hotel Rancho restaurant for breakfast, which I like. I always go for the biggest breakfast plate there (not sure about the name, 250 pesos). It consist of various cold cuts and fresh bread and egg. I am a bit eater but normally I cannot eat it all. This one might be more appreciated by the European crowd/taste though but it is very good if you are hungry.

The breakfast at New Caf? is good also as someone else suggested.

I have tried Britannia and it is good but a little more pricey.

Some people says breakfast at La Costera is the best value for the money in Sosua but I have not tried it yet.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I sometimes go to Hotel Rancho restaurant for breakfast, which I like. I always go for the biggest breakfast plate there (not sure about the name, 250 pesos). It consist of various cold cuts and fresh bread and egg. I am a bit eater but normally I cannot eat it all. This one might be more appreciated by the European crowd/taste though but it is very good if you are hungry.

The breakfast at New Caf? is good also as someone else suggested.

I have tried Britannia and it is good but a little more pricey.

Some people says breakfast at La Costera is the best value for the money in Sosua but I have not tried it yet.

Andy is awesome.. all of his food is good, Thai, German.... strangely enough I never tried breakfast there..
great idea....

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I like New Caf? but you should also give Caf? Cubano a try. It is small but the breakfast and service are both good and they remember who you are. Anyone have an update on how Brian is doing. I am not coming down till next month.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
News Cafe or whatever is called now, across frong Clu R used to have a great spread for breakfast.
I really like El Costera, but too many fleas flying around in the am.
Wocky's never disappoints.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
As usual you guy have lots of great ideas. New places to try. I am a rabid anti smoker. Spoiled by US regs where smokers are treated like lepers. Its Beyond me how anyone can smoke something that does not get you high.

One of the worst things In the tourist areas here in my opinion is the smoking at restaurants, friggin gross man! We move sometimes if we have to.

I think we have almost become used to it now though?!?? Still will never understand how people think it is ok to smoke around people eating??
I love the courteous smokers out there who leave the restaurants etc!! We see you and LOVE YOU, it does not go unnoticed!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
The best breakfast in the area - is actually in Cabarete. Jose O'Shay's offers big portions, reasonable prices (for breakfast, anyway), and it's right on the beach. Very hard to beat.

In Sosua, check out Bourbon Street in Victorian House. It's Big D's new restaurant. He may well be the best cook in town, and his southern-based food (think grits, biscuits 'n gravy and the Mother of All Omelettes) is very, very good. In addition, it offers spectacular views of the bay, and cigar smoke is not a problem.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The best breakfast in the area - is actually in Cabarete. Jose O'Shay's offers big portions, reasonable prices (for breakfast, anyway), and it's right on the beach. Very hard to beat.

In Sosua, check out Bourbon Street in Victorian House. It's Big D's new restaurant. He may well be the best cook in town, and his southern-based food (think grits, biscuits 'n gravy and the Mother of All Omelettes) is very, very good. In addition, it offers spectacular views of the bay, and cigar smoke is not a problem.

Big D is the man. as to being the best cook...he is the best i have seen.