New Buildings Going Crazy

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I know I have been seeing many new buildings starting to build.

New Hotels, New Condos, New Apartment, Food Store, Stores, new roads, and many more....

I wonder where the money comes from? Investments out of country?

I am surprised they build so much at same time in Santo Domingo.

From 5 years from now, I see a vision: SD will be a rich city, no more poor.

However, one problem lies ahead: They need have enough power plants, water treatment plant and underground fiber optics etc to be able to serve these all new changes in next 5 years.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

e51b4b851609a1339b5080c301fbae01.550x367x1.jpg

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012

New Hotels, New Condos, New Apartment, Food Store, Stores, new roads, and many more....

However, one problem lies ahead: They need have enough power plants, water treatment plant and underground fiber optics etc to be able to serve these all new changes in next 5 years.
dream, dream,dream

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
It very easy to tell where the money is coming from just look at all the keys they confiscate and then gone like magic only god knows ware.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Maybe the Pope will tell us the secret when he comes. Popes have lots of secrets.

May 29, 2006

Hmm.. I vaguely remember a huge housing boom in the US about 15 years back... How'd that turn out?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hmm.. I vaguely remember a huge housing boom in the US about 15 years back... How'd that turn out?

this is exactly why the Haitians are going nowhere. try to imagine the bubble that would eventuate if some of these new buildings had to be completed using Dominican labor. the finished product would be twice as expensive, and that would drive up the price of the existing buildings

kaboom!

May 29, 2006
The same fault line that goes through PaP runs right through SD. Sooner or later a 7+ quake is going hit. Any seismic regs in the country? How do the building codes work?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The same fault line that goes through PaP runs right through SD. Sooner or later a 7+ quake is going hit. Any seismic regs in the country? How do the building codes work?

The codes for structural design were updated following the findings of the 'Haiti' at the end of 2012. DR has a good professional organization for Architects and Engineers.....CODIA. I would assume all those new towers being built in SDO are to the latest codes.

My personal experience of structural design engineers I have encountered in DR is favorable.

May 29, 2006
So what about the buildings built before then? Some girl had her legs crushed in Sosua a month or so ago from having an eves collapse when it had a bunch of teen sitting on it(watching a parade) ~ it was made of concrete..

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
So what about the buildings built before then? Some girl had her legs crushed in Sosua a month or so ago from having an eves collapse when it had a bunch of teen sitting on it(watching a parade) ~ it was made of concrete..

Exactly. Engineers have recommended that public buildings be strengthened to take account of the findings of a review of structural soundness for earthquakes.

A lot of the smaller and residential buildings built here are built without proper design or supervision.

See the attached old article from back in 2010.

CODIA: 70% of the building will resist earthquakes - DiarioLibre.com

If one were living in Santiago, the Cibao or the North Coast/Samana, one should have more reason to ask the question mindful of earthquake history and code supervision.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Santo Domingo laundry machine...
Primary:
Narcotics, Venezuelan stolen public funds, European black market funds, North American black market

Secundary:
Stolen, skimmed Dominican public funds
Payoffs to launder the Primary investors..

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
''I wonder where the money comes from? Investments out of country?''

People were saying the same thing about Miami in the 1980's. It took them a minute but they eventually figured it out.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com

I see that the "Kool Aid" Pichardo sent you finally arrived!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
If you live in Santo Domingo then you know where the "money" is coming from. It is no secret. Now lets hope they finish the buildings.