Big Tiger Shark caught at KM12 Autopista Las Americas

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Haven't see one yet but it appears tiger sharks are common in this area......one caught a few years ago with photo attached.

Atrapan tibur?n de m?s 14 pies en Las Am?ricas (Fotos) | Ensegundos.do

Here's something: Both Tiger Sharks (from this 2013 article and from the 2015 article in the original post) were caught by the same brothers.

Given the state of global shark populations, hunting and killing them is a really bad idea to say the least.

There is money to be made in shark diving excursions, except I'm not that optimistic about the DR.

Rasputin

Jan 27, 2015
I once read that if you have swam in the ocean 10 times you have been within 100 feet of a shark on at least one of those occasions. We get wierded out by sharks because of a primal fear of being eating by something else. We are more likely to be struck by lightening or be involved in a plane crash than done in by a shark.

At least this shark is going towards food and the bulk of it will be used. Better than being caught by a bunch of tourists and allowed to go to waste after a photo is taken.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
izp3mc.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in the video you linked the shark eats a dude who is already very dead. i do not think a shark actually killed anyone in recent years but the bodies of fishermen who drowned occasionally get mauled. and of course shark feasted on the bodies of the birgenair passengers after the plane crash off POP in 1996.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Tiger sharks are known to follow ships and feed off the garbage thrown overboard. All kinds of crazy things have been found in their stomachs. That said, the majority of "attacks" are the result of the sharks curiousity rather than intent to kill. Overwhelming statistics show the likelihood of shark attack is extremely low. You are more likely to be killed from shaking a vending machine than from a shark attack.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
They caught a tiger shark? What's his name Fausto? What did they do with his moto?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Tigers are right up on the list with whites and bull sharks for attacks on humans. I have cancelled my future plans for swimming in the area. Makos are excellent table fare as they feed on their cousin the swordfish and have the same excellent flavor. A Tiger shark is inedible unless brined for ages to tenderize it, otherwise you cannot even chew the meat. Very dangerous shark.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't think it's a problem. dominicans overcook everything and anything.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I've asked about sharks in Dominican waters and always they say a big one is caught every couple of years but there are barely any around. The Mona Passage gets mentioned often, but that's a topic for another thread. I know there are lots of nurse sharks around Boca Chica but they are usually docile; you would almost have to kick them in the mouth to be bitten. Anyway, it would be interesting to talk to the brothers that have caught these 2 tiger sharks.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Isn't that a great mentality to condone: killing an already threatened apex predator will get you a new boat and lots of media attention. It was fairly recent that there was supposed to be a shark fishing competition here but it didn't happen. Not likely thanks to the DR govt, but because there was enough public outcry from the international community and conservationists.

Small "subsitence" fishermen like these guys might never do the same damage as long lining but with current global shark populations on a massive decline, conservation is necessary and logical. However, the older I get the more I realize things often don't make much sense.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I saw a year ago a shark while diving in Las Terrenas. The instructor said it was a gato (whatever that means).