Thinking of getting a Masters that would be desirable in the DR

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
I am thinkin about going back to post-graduate school to get a Masters.

For someone who would eventually want to live in the DR , what would be a good field to get a Masters...with the idea being that there would be many employment options in the DR ???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nothing I can think of. If I had to work here I would have to move somewhere else. There are not "many employment opportunities" here.

Interesting question as you phrased it. Does that mean you would go after a Masters degree (fluent in Spanish, I hope you are) simply because that particular degree offered a chance of employment at some developing nations pay scale?

(I do understand a bit of your situation from your other posts).

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I am thinkin about going back to post-graduate school to get a Masters.

For someone who would eventually want to live in the DR , what would be a good field to get a Masters...with the idea being that there would be many employment options in the DR ???

Something oceanography-related, maybe. The reefs are in ****-poor shape and are going to need to be rebuilt if the ecosystem is to survive.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The DR government isn't putting any money into saving the reefs. The good paying jobs are about who you know, not what you know.

Unless you're a computer whiz and can put those skill sets to work for a large company, you're better off trying to marry into a prominent family. That would be your ticket in, moreso thsn an advanced degree in something like oceanography.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So does this include all Masters programs in existence??? What field did you study first? What is your B.S./B.A???

a Masters in Finance could come in very handy nowadays.

Are you fluent in Spanish?

Aren't you going to warn him about the age discrimination in DR? Everyone wants young people, they're not interested in older experienced people in their late 40s/50s. If you're in your 60s you're an anciano.

Being absolutely fluent in Spanish is a necessity, of course.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Master of Accountancy
Master of Advanced Study
Master of Applied Finance
Master of Applied Mathematical Sciences
Master of Applied Science
Master of Architecture
Master of Arts
Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
Master of Arts in Special Education
Master of Arts in Strategic Communication Management
Master of Arts in Teaching
Master of Bioinformatics
Master of Business Administration
Master of Business
Master of Business Economics
Master of Business Engineering
Master of Business Informatics
Master of Chemistry
Master of City Planning
Master of Commerce
Master of Computational Finance
Master of Computer Applications
Master of Computer Science
Master of Communication
Master of Counselling
Master of Criminal Justice
Master in Creative Technologies
Master of Design
Master of Divinity
Master of Economics
Master of Education
Master of Educational Technology
Master of Engineering
Master of Engineering Management
Master of Enterprise
Master of European Law
Master of Finance
Master of Financial Economics
Master of Financial Engineering
Master of Financial Mathematics
Master of Fine Arts
Master of Health Administration
Master of Health Informatics
Master of Health Science
Master of Humanities
Master of Industrial and Labor Relations
Master of International Affairs
Master of International Business
Masters in International Economics
Master of International Public Policy
Master of International Studies
Master of Information
Master of Information Management
Master of Information System Management
Master of Islamic Studies
Master of IT
Master of Jurisprudence
Master of Laws
Master of Studies in Law
Master of Landscape Architecture
Master of Letters
Master of Liberal Arts
Master of Library and Information Science
Master of Management
Master of Mass Communication and Journalism
Master of Mathematical Finance
Master of Mathematics
Master of Mathematics and Computer Science
Master of Mathematics and Philosophy
Master of Medical Science
Master of Medicine
Masters of Military Art and Science
Master of Music
Master of Network and Communications Management
Master of Occupational Therapy
Master of Pharmacy
Master of Philosophy
Master of Physician Assistant Studies
Master of Physics
Master of Political Science
Master of Professional Studies
Master of Psychology
Master of Public Administration
Master of Public Affairs
Master of Public Diplomacy
Master of Public Health
Master of Public Management
Master of Public Policy
Master of Public Relations
Master of Public Service
Master of Quantitative Finance
Master of Rabbinic Studies
Master of Real Estate Development
Master of Religious Education
Master of Research
Master of Sacred Music
Master of Sacred Theology
Master of Science
Master of Science in Applied Cognition and Neuroscience
Master of Science in Bioinformatics
Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology
Master of Science in Computing Research
Master of Science in Cyber Security
Master of Science in Education
Master of Science in Engineering
Master of Science in Development Administration
Master of Science in Finance
Master of Science in Geo-Spatial Science & Technology
Master of Science in Governance & Organizational Sciences
Master of Science in Government Contracts
Master of Science in Health Informatics
Master of Science in Human Resource Development
Master of Science in Information Assurance
Master of Science in Information Systems
Master of Science in Information Technology
Master of Science in Leadership
Master of Science in Management
Master of Science in Nursing
Master of Science in Operations Management
Master of Science in Project Management
Master of Science in Quality Assurance
Master of Science in Risk Management
Master of Science in Supply Chain Management
Master of Science in Teaching
Master of Science in Taxation
Master of Social Science
Master of Social Work
Master of Statistics
Master of Strategic Studies
Master of Studies
Master of Surgery
Master of Theological Studies
Master of Technology
Master of Theology
Master of Urban Planning
Master of Veterinary Science

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Master of Accountancy sounds great with the exception that you would need to know DR's version of GAAP and the Spanish translation to the accounting terminology.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Master of Accountancy sounds great with the exception that you would need to know DR's version of GAAP and the Spanish translation to the accounting terminology.

Rumor is of an accountant that just left the DR for the USA. Illegal where he is now. No work from him in the DR. Left the DR. Mind you, strictly rumor..:devious:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Nothing I can think of. If I had to work here I would have to move somewhere else. There are not "many employment opportunities"
That's because you don't like the capital maybe. There are job opportunities enough in Santo Domingo.

With a good education in the right area and of course the fitting profile you can without much problems earn good money. I received job offers of 4-5000 dollars per month without applying. Of course, you won't get good job offers just by sending your resume to a bunch of people, but it's not true that there are no good job opportunities in DR.

And of course these kind of jobs are being held by the lucky 5-10 % of the population, but why wouldn't we be able to part of that with an education , capability to work independent and work attitude that is better than the average Dominican in that same 10% group?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I just feel that (not taking a jab at any profession) accountants have a lower salary ceiling than other Management/Finance/Economics graduates.

Experience out ways a degree in many professions. A recent graduate with an Masters in Accounting would not make the same asan accountant with a BS in Accounting and 20 years of experience.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I am sure experience outweighs other things. I was talking relatively against other professions whereas you didn't mention any of this.

Not sure of how others do (Management/Finance/Economics graduates) but I do ok with my BS in Accounting and over 30 years of experience.

But, then again, we are talking about DR and not NY.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Which are these 4-5k US$ paying jobs? Fill me in brother.

To give some examples:

- general director of a gym chain
- finance guy of a supermarket chain
- procurement manager of a retail chain
- procurement manager of a big printshop
- general manager of a big print shop

These are examples of average people like you and me (at least like me), nothing special, no hijos de papi y mami, making 200,000 pesos or more per month. (real examples).

One of my customers has been looking for a plant manager. It's not a complicated job, no rocket science, just common sense and the right attitude. Won't earn 4000, but 3,000 should be possible. (Right now the position is filled).

Of course you don't find these jobs when staying around expats and low/middle class Dominicans only. You have to inmerse in the Dominican society like you would at home and move in circles you would move at home.

Fifteen years ago I arrived here, not knowing one word of Spanish and I landed on a usd2000 job at pwc (without any relevant experience, only the correct education). Later I found out I had one of the worst deals of the other expats, because of thinking that in DR there are no jobs that earn money according to European standards.

Im not saying it's easy and everybody will be able to earn good money here, but if you can land on a good job in Europe you am an land on it here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Rumor is of an accountant that just left the DR for the USA. Illegal where he is now. No work from him in the DR. Left the DR. Mind you, strictly rumor..:devious:

One of Mr. AE's brothers has an MBA *and* a masters in Accounting, he was VP of a major SD bank for years until they transferred him as CFO of their insurance division, where he worked close to 10 years. All in all I think he worked there 30 years or so. Lost his job a year or two ago, replaced him at half his salary. He's mid 50s and hasn't found anything - anything - in two years. Not expecting his old salary, which was substantial.

It's not easy out there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Accounting:

Average starting salary in the US for accounting majors (2015 figures):US$51,475

Average postgraduate starting salary in the US:*US$62,374

52nd*in PayScale’s ranking of*Majors by Salary Potential

Finance:

Average starting salary in the US for finance majors (2015 figures):US$52,788

Average postgraduate starting salary in the US:*US$71,527

27th*in PayScale’s ranking of*Majors by Salary Potential

Again, this isn't taking any jabs at any profession nor what you do. I am more than sure that there are thousands of accountants that make much much more than financiers. the OP just wanted to inquire about which program to take, and in general terms it is known that finance has a higher potential, even moreso taking into consideration the outrageously insane salaries in the investment management field.

Now tell us how much these positions pay in DR please.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's because you don't like the capital maybe. There are job opportunities enough in Santo Domingo.

With a good education in the right area and of course the fitting profile you can without much problems earn good money. I received job offers of 4-5000 dollars per month without applying. Of course, you won't get good job offers just by sending your resume to a bunch of people, but it's not true that there are no good job opportunities in DR.

And of course these kind of jobs are being held by the lucky 5-10 % of the population, but why wouldn't we be able to part of that with an education , capability to work independent and work attitude that is better than the average Dominican in that same 10% group?

It is not me. It is a Dominican who went to the USA. I am from the USA. I made my money there and retired here.
The capital. It does suck.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can't speak with numbers as there isn't reliable data. All I can say in DR its from direct observations and from comments made by HR fellows, the salary discrepancy here tends to be much higher since there is a tremendous level of uneducated appraisal on operational value of certain jobs. Unfortunately the old school mentality, they don't assign much remuneration towards positions that are deemed as non profit-oriented.

One reason I switched from being an engineer to engineering/sales. A huge improvement in salary/commission even in the US. It is how I was able to retire at 48 when the job market became very bad..
I could not imagine looking for a good job in the DR. Or a bad job, or any job.... It would be so limiting versus doing the same in a first world country.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rare But Useful Master's Degrees

Master of Reliability
Master of Honesty
Master of Diligence
Master of Punctuality
Master of Perseverance
Master of Loyalty

donP

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Nothing I can think of. If I had to work here I would have to move somewhere else. There are not "many employment opportunities" here.

Interesting question as you phrased it. Does that mean you would go after a Masters degree (fluent in Spanish, I hope you are) simply because that particular degree offered a chance of employment at some developing nations pay scale?

(I do understand a bit of your situation from your other posts).

YES... and I am fully fluent in spanish