Government must build more dams

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santo Domingo.- The government?s medium and long term plans to conserve water for human consumption and agriculture must include construction of more dams, ponds, and reconstruction of reservoirs and irrigation canals.

Dominican Milk Producers Association (Aproleche) president Eric Rivero and Agribusiness Board CEO Osmar Benitez agree that authorities should find ways to conserve water and confront climate change, which they blame for the drought across the country.

Rivero said new dams will not only conserve water but also supply energy and ensure supply to farms. He said despite that the current drought was forecast since last year, the authorities ?did little to address it.?

Change of model

Benitez said the government needs to spend on new dams, micro dams, ponds, reservoirs and other ways to stora water.

He said farms areas in Peravia, Azua and San Juan provinces (south) need to build at least 10 giant reservoirs, five in the northwest, and others in the east region.

Benitez also urged the government to work with farmers and banks to fund change from the normal irrigation model into a pressurized or drip system.

Source: DT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Constructing new dams are likely to be welcome projects here. Plenty of options for new Jeepetas.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since the first day I arrived in the DR in 1986,... I have been saying,OVER & OVER,........"DAMN IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
But joking and cynicism aside, it sounds like a good idea to me. The country needs more available water, more electricity and more employment.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
Bermuda has no mountains, rivers or fresh water lakes. All our water comes from rain. It is mandatory that each house build a large tank beneath it and have a gutter system to direct water into the tank. The Bermudian shower; run enough water to wet your body and the wash cloth, TURN OFF WATER. Lather soap in the wash cloth and apply it to you skin. Once skin is adequately lathered rinse yourself OFF. Water conservation is part of our lifestyle, it costs $100/1000 gallons delivered.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Tap Left Open

... The Bermudian shower; run enough water to wet your body and the wash cloth, TURN OFF WATER.

The Dominican shower:
Open faucet... oh, no water.... leave tap OPEN... leave.... :bunny:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The Bermudian shower; run enough water to wet your body and the wash cloth, TURN OFF WATER. Lather soap in the wash cloth and apply it to you skin. Once skin is adequately lathered rinse yourself OFF.

that's how i shower. i turn the water off when shampooing hair and applying conditioner too. turn on only to wet hair and rinse afterwards.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
some time ago we had a problem with water heater (it was winter, ok? much colder than now). out of laziness we would heat up a large pot of water and wash using a bucket and a small pot as a scoop. a bucket of water was just barely enough for both of us and generous quantity for one. what can i say, i am taca?a. waste not, want not.

May 29, 2006
The prob is not in dams, but in clearing land to start desertification. Bare land does not hold water. You get floods when it rains, then dead crops when there are dry spells.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here's a really sad image of reality in DR, sent to me by a cousin:

11880385_10152834367225834_1063010290348579316_n.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't think that's the DR, I saw it on FB and traced it back to a PR FB page.

Does anybody recognize that bridge?

Looks to me like the bridge on the Coral Hwy - maybe the circum. of San Pedro de Macoris? I took these, the last one has a sign "Rio 'something', I can't read it:

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

May 29, 2006
Took the bus today from STG to SD, then Hig?ey. Definite signs of man made desertification. In some areas, bone dry soil on one side of a property line and still green trees on the other. Numerous fissures in the topsoil. Lots of malnourished horses and cows foraging south of Hig?ey. In the US, they would have been put down or sold long ago.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
water usage

as i have said b4 water usage in d.r. is the highest per person ...in the world.... they use more water per person than anywhere in the world figure that and the govt knows this long time :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
this looks like the one washed out 4-7 yrs ago??? and rebuilt quickly ..of course after a huge amount of money was "Lost"

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
There is indeed a very BIG problem with water here going on, from the illegal Haitians replicating Haiti on this side Chopping trees to make thousands of pounds of charcoal on the national parks to the Rampant IGNORANCE on water conservation education+culture that We as Dominicans have to the inept DR gov that does NOT enforce or creates proper measurements to establish serious CONSEQUENCES for these behaviors.

This Government has to replicate ASAP one of the very few GOOD things that Balaguer had, a Care for Nature and Deep investment on WATER conservation, practically all the Dams on this country were build under his governments. There has to be made clear that people chopping trees, damaging rivers and wasting water are affecting National Security.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Environmental priorities and the luxury to contemplate them are impossible when someone's belly is grumbling. Don't want people cutting down trees to make charcoal, then there has to be an easier and more profitable alternative activity for them to engage in?