Shipping my car out of Dominican rep to USA

Yoneiri Rosario

Apr 11, 2013
I've posted something like this before, but that was a year or two ago when i was only semi serious. Now i'm all set for getting this done.

Long story short, i have a fully functional car in the dominican rep that means allot to me (Car is a 1970 Nova with an engine swap from a newer 1996 chevy) The car was made in USA and shipped outside of USA sometime in it's life. I moved to NJ(I am a usa citizen, born and rasied in NJ) and would like to ship that car from the dominican rep (la capital) to USA NJ.

A few questions:
What are the legal stipulations for this?
Estimate cost?
Does anybody have a number i can call to have my questions answered? (other than customs, maybe like a trusted exporter or something)
Problems with the engine swap?
Again, i just want the car moved from DR to NJ so i can use it here. Clear answers would be much help here.

Thank you

Jan 9, 2004
I've posted something like this before, but that was a year or two ago when i was only semi serious. Now i'm all set for getting this done.

Long story short, i have a fully functional car in the dominican rep that means allot to me (Car is a 1970 Nova with an engine swap from a newer 1996 chevy) The car was made in USA and shipped outside of USA sometime in it's life. I moved to NJ(I am a usa citizen, born and rasied in NJ) and would like to ship that car from the dominican rep (la capital) to USA NJ.

A few questions:
What are the legal stipulations for this?
Estimate cost?
Does anybody have a number i can call to have my questions answered? (other than customs, maybe like a trusted exporter or something)
Problems with the engine swap?
Again, i just want the car moved from DR to NJ so i can use it here. Clear answers would be much help here.

Thank you

I think you might want to go back and reread some of the advice given on your prior thread....and find a transport company that has shipped vehicles out of the DR and into the US.

Last I knew there was a $500 fee and a 2.5% duty (duty is probably not applicable to you) to bring an old vehicle into the US.

However, these should be helpful;

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...c-or-antique-vehicles-/-cars-for-personal-use

http://www.trailerbridge.com/Northbound-Shipping-to-Florida-from-the-Dominican-Republic.aspx

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2